Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just loaded the Stage 1 91oct v.104 LT and took it out for a little test run. Here are the results....outside temp was 82 deg. and I couldn't stop 1st gear wheel spin so with some time at the strip I am sure it would improve. Car Vehicle Technology Auto part Electronic device Product Electronics Multimedia Car Vehicle

·
Registered
463 Posts
All that torque certainly does make it hard to hook up in 1st. I ran 0-60mph in 6s with snow tires on a 45F day with my stock ST. I was on the street so I did not take it all the way to the 1/4 mile, but I bet a tuned car would start to show its advantages in the 1/4.

Oscilloscope Electronics Technology Electronic device Gps navigation device

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to find a place where I can make that run to 1/4 mile myself. I have the Cobb Accessport, so need to try it out. That sounds really strong for Stage 1! I will post back if I find a vacant spot (I live in the Westside of Los Angeles, so everything is pretty crowded).

·
Registered
258 Posts
When are you shifting top get that time? Should I dump the clutch? If so at what rpm?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can't "Dump the clutch" in this car (any 2wd turbo car really). If you do your either going to bogg down the engine, or light up your tires. You need to slip the clutch and roll on the throttle trying to maintain as much traction as possible, once you get to second gear then your can slam & dump.

Jay

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When are you shifting top get that time? Should I dump the clutch? If so at what rpm?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
I found that no matter how easy I was with the clutch once full throttle is applied in 1st gear you get wheel spin. It has alot of low end torque and with street tires that have not been heated via burnout there not much that you can do except modulate throttle input to find that happy medium between acceleration and wheel spin. I am sure that being at the drag strip with slicks upfront would make a HUGE difference with launch, at least 2-3 tenths 0-60 and 1\4 mi. I would expect 0-60 around 5.7-5.8 and maybe a 14 flat 1/4mi with stage1 which would be very respectable.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just loaded the Stage 1 91oct v.104 and took it out for a little test run. Here are the results....outside temp was 82 deg. and I couldn't stop 1st gear wheel spin so with some time at the strip I am sure it would improve. View attachment 7950 View attachment 7951
Great 0-60 time, I tried that in 53 degree weather and well 6.8 was my one and only attempt. No point trying until the roads, tires are at least in the mid 60's as Cobb Stage 1, 91 v104 is just nothing but uncontrollable wheel spin in first gear. Did you shift into 3rd? I seem to remember 60 can't be reached in 2nd.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great 0-60 time, I tried that in 53 degree weather and well 6.8 was my one and only attempt. No point trying until the roads, tires are at least in the mid 60's as Cobb Stage 1, 91 v104 is just nothing but uncontrollable wheel spin in first gear. Did you shift into 3rd? I seem to remember 60 can't be reached in 2nd.
To get to 60 you don't have to shift into 3rd. I actually had a better 0-60 run of 5.91 just using 1st and 2nd but this 0-60 time I posted was part of the 1/4 mi capture and on that run I think I did shift into 3rd just before I hit 60.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try shifting around 5500-6K. Which should increase your 0-60, 60ft, and 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
726 Posts
you think 6k is the best place to shift? Not higher? There's lots o room above 6000, though it seems HP peaks around there. I' would think you'd get better times keeping things closer to redline?

·
Registered
63 Posts
We may have revs to spare but the power drops off pretty quickly at the top end. Theoretically shifting around 5700rpm maximizes power to the wheels

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
you think 6k is the best place to shift? Not higher? There's lots o room above 6000, though it seems HP peaks around there. I' would think you'd get better times keeping things closer to redline?
I'll just leave this here:
http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-performance/3728-shifting-about-6000-rpm.html

For a stock engine anyway, looks like its best to shift at near 6000 RPM for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, then about 5500 RPM after 4th. The point is to maximize the torque to the hubs, once the torque drops below what you would have in the next gear, its time to change.

This spreadsheet could be different though if the car is tuned, since the torque numbers and torque curve shape changes a bit, especially with regards to higher torque at the lower to mid RPMs. This could actually make the ideal shift points slightly lower for a tuned car. Somewhere between 5500-6000 will likely be the sweet spot for most cars though as effective wheel torque drops very quickly after 6000 RPM.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Hope the pic attached correctly, but this was my best time. Temp about 42ish degrees (a couple months ago) using the 93 LT v102 maps. Slipped the clutch more than I normally would at launch and then powered through the rest shifting close to redline.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
113 Posts
^^ That makes me really wonder about the accuracy of AP?!! 42 degrees and 5.8, but only trapping at 92mph? Doesn't make sense.
I can't imagine it would be inaccurate as it's reading directly from the ECU on those speeds... but I may be a bit off on the temp- it was for sure under 50 though. Car was fully warmed up for the run and perhaps my shift points were why I didn't break 92.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I can't imagine it would be inaccurate as it's reading directly from the ECU on those speeds... but I may be a bit off on the temp- it was for sure under 50 though. Car was fully warmed up for the run and perhaps my shift points were why I didn't break 92.

Even reading from the ECU, these things can be off, especially if you have any wheel spin.. And 92 is definitely way low. Last fall when all i had was the MRT exhaust I was trapping at 98 MPH...

BTW, I was going through the traps yesterday in 4th gear... didn't shift to 5th...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts