Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been searching for a lightweight wheel for my future st and could only find an enkei rpf1 in the 5x108 bolt pattern. It weighs 16.9 lbs and has an inset of 38 with a bore diameter of 65. Would this work on the st? I plan on using the stock wheels for winter and putting the 235/40/18 goodyears on these. I know putting a 235 tire on a 7.5" wheel isn't ideal but after doing some research and talking to vivid racing it should work. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just went to Tire Rack to see if they have any information/products listed for the ST. They do show the car as a 2013 model, and they have the tire size and applicable tires that fit the car. However, they are not showing any wheels as being available. Probably Ford has not made all of the specifications (bolt pattern, offset, etc.) available to the various wheel manufacturers. :?: Or even if Ford did publish the specs, the manufacturers have not gotten around to producing a wheel for a car that is not even on the road yet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
like agr says, the wheels on the ST should be the same dimensions as the wheels offered in the handling package version of the current titanium.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. What about the issue of putting a 235 tire on a 7.5 wheel? Will that be okay? The 5x108 bolt pattern is not as popular as others and that is the only light weight wheel I can find (other than oz ultraleggera which is 18 lbs).

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was under the impression that the wheels on my Titanium were 18x8, and they come from the factory stock with 235/40R18 Michelin MS3s

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Craig,

I believe you are right. I'm thinking of replacing the stock st wheels (which are either 18x8 or 18x8.5) with enkei rpf1's which are 18x7.5 which has me worried about the 235 being too wide for it. From what I've read it would be pushing it but would work. Another low weight solution is the oz ultraleggera which is 18x8 and would not be an issue but the rpf1's are cheaper.

*edit* I called enkei and they said they will not bring any 5x108 wheels unless there is an order of 40 so without a group buy it isn't an option anyways.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I didn't know that you could get 18" wheels on a non-ST Focus. :eek: I would think that the link that agr provided should be a good selection of applicable after-market wheels.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I didn't know that you could get 18" wheels on a non-ST Focus. :eek: I would think that the link that agr provided should be a good selection of applicable after-market wheels.
That's what makes me think the wheel offset *could* be different on the ST vs. the standard Focus. I'm not sure if the axle width on the ST is a bit wider with a different wheel offset to accommodate the wider tires/larger brakes as well as limiting the functional inner tire turning arc to prevent rubbing with its 18" wheels. Using aftermarket wheels designed for the Titanium might have a slightly different offset built into them to provide for additional inner tire clearance on the standard Focus when using 18" wheels. This could cause a rubbing issue, or end up having the tires stick too far outside of the wheel well depending on the offset difference (if there is one).

Then again, they may be fine. Hard to know unless the full steering/wheel geometry specs are posted.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As far as brake clearance, the TI 18" can definitely accommodate anything you want to put in them. In regards to a wider tire than a 235, I just don't see it happening as a factory option - remember that the standard for this category is 205-215.

As to limiting, the Focus Titanium with the Handling package uses a steering limiter built into the steering rack to prevent inner-wall rubbing.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Just went to Tire Rack to see if they have any information/products listed for the ST. They do show the car as a 2013 model, and they have the tire size and applicable tires that fit the car. However, they are not showing any wheels as being available. Probably Ford has not made all of the specifications (bolt pattern, offset, etc.) available to the various wheel manufacturers. :?: Or even if Ford did publish the specs, the manufacturers have not gotten around to producing a wheel for a car that is not even on the road yet.
like agr says, the wheels on the ST should be the same dimensions as the wheels offered in the handling package version of the current titanium.
I believe the 2012 Focus patterns and clearance apply.

We can always ask Lisa. :LOL:

·
Registered
742 Posts
IMHO, 235 on a 7.5" wheel should be fine. I've run 235s on a 7" wheel without any problem.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The stock tires that come with the Focus ST are "Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2" 235/40R18 (on 18x8 wheels). Check this Goodyear site for the specs and recommendations...

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 | Goodyear Tires

...then click the link for...

"View tire sizes and specifications"

According to Goodyear, the only approved wheel widths for the 235/40R18 are between 8.0 and 9.5, so 7.5 would not be approved (by Goodyear).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts