Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in another forum and thought it would awesome on my RR ST and decided to try it. spent $2 at walmart getting a curved upholstery needle and thick red (multi strand) thread. Then about 3.5 hrs uninstalling and threading the red through the stitching and then reinstalling. The process was fairly easy and looks awesome for the amount of money spent. I also plan on doing the red fabric marker on the white stitching of the all leather Recaros but Walmart didn't just sell the red marker and i didn't want to spend 12 on a 6 pack (especially when its not beer :)

redstitching.jpeg
redstitching2.jpeg

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I really like that, link to said thread on how to?
D.I.Y Red Stitches on Stock Shifter boot (Big Pics inside) - Club RSX Message Board

I think it was easier with the curved needle but what ever will work. It mainly helped on the arm rest because you can't get to the back of the stitching. I used different thread then what they used. This is the stuff I found. Can get it at any walmart or craft store.

IMG_1097-1000x666.jpg the color code i used was "666" of all numbers and i used all 5 strands for the arm rest but took out 1 strand for the shift boot. i thought it was took thick because the stitching on the boot wasn't as thick.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks great, too much patience involved for me though.

Reactions: Mustang Man

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm glad my Performance Blue came with blue stitching, I love it. I would not have the patience or willpower to do this, but props! Looks very good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have everything to do this to my car I just haven't found the time to do it. Maybe tomorrow.
It wasnt horrible. It was 3 hrs for both items. Split it up and do them on different days. It was only about 8 mins per row on the shift boot.

How did you do the white and red. I like that as well

·
Registered
700 Posts
Wish the TS came like this.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That came out looking very nice. I've bought similar shift boots and armrest covers from Redline and have been very impressed with the quality and options but you can't beat the savings by doing it yourself and spending a little time on labor.

Reactions: androidtopp

·
Registered
146 Posts
That looks great! I see what I will be doing very soon.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It seems to draw a lot of attention. I think the white is more subtle.

Nice customization, though. Cheers!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Reactions: androidtopp

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMG_20130705_230241_783.jpg IMG_20130705_230253_695.jpg IMG_20130705_230547_173.jpg

There's a TS one since no one has posted one yet, like how it turned out, nice finishing touch. I knew when I picked the car up it needed something, my first thought was a stitch around the cloth door insert. This was much easier though. I used four strands for the armrest and three for the boot.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I've bought similar shift boots and armrest covers from Redline and have been very impressed with the quality and options but you can't be the saving by doing it yourself and spending a little time on labor.
Oh, Blackbird. You just cost me some money. I hate that the factory shift boot is cheesy vinyl in the ST. I've been in some UK Fords lately, and even their minivan equivalent has an actual leather shift boot...and it had an otherwise cloth interior!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can anyone walk me through, or posting pics, on how to get the shift boot off? I got a nice boot that I want to put on and just don't want to screw anything up. Thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts