Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Ford Mondeo will score a world first as a modern-era family car powered by a tiny 1.0-litre engine at launch in autumn 2013. Power will come from the smooth-revving 123bhp, three-cylinder Ecoboost, claimed to produce just 125g/km of carbon — comparable with today’s 2.0TDCi diesel.

The 1.0T Ecoboost will be the jewel in the crown of a new Mondeo range that has to fight for sales in an increasingly competitive market.

Roughly similar in footprint to the outgoing model, the new 4.8m-long Mondeo is slightly lower, but sits on the same 2850mm wheelbase, a reflection of the significantly-modified, but carry-over platform.

A key change to the Mondeo, code-named CD391, is a new rear suspension that retains a multi-link layout but moves to an ‘integral link’ design, said to be similar to that employed by Audi and BMW. It replaces today’s unequal length control arm layout.

Also of interest to enthusiasts is the switch to electric power steering, which saves fuel, but requires careful engineering to deliver enthusiast-friendly steering. Ford is adamant that the new Mondeo will retain the current car’s handling balance and steering sharpness while adding an extra edge of ride comfort. ‘We are confident it won’t disappoint,’ says Ford.

The latter has been a key requirement for the US market, where the Fusion, the Federal version of the Mondeo, is just going on sale.

Read More: autocar.co.uk/car-news/paris-motor-show-2012/2013-ford-mondeo-full-details-revealed

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2013 Ford Fusion rated at 25/37 MPG, Hybrid gets 47 MPG

The EPA posted fuel economy numbers for the 2013 Ford Fusion in front-wheel-drive, all-wheel-drive and hybrid flavors, but they were quickly removed from certain parts of the FuelEconomy.gov website. Car and Driver snagged the numbers before they disappeared, however, and it makes for fine reading.

It's a toss-up nowadays as to whether an automatic or manual will get the ultimate economy, but the best numbers among the conventional Fusion powertrains are the 25 city / 37 highway miles per gallon returned by the six-speed-manual-equipped FWD Fusion with the 179-horsepower 1.6-liter EcoBoost motor. Numbers for the six-speed automatic are right behind, at 23 city / 36 highway.

Dropping nine horsepower and a turbocharger will get you price but not efficiency gains, with the 170-hp naturally-aspirated 2.5-liter four doing 22 city / 34 hwy. In the other direction, that's one small mpg away from the 22 hwy / 33 city to be had by the 237-hp 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder. Add all-wheel drive to the equation and pay a 2-mpg penalty, with the 237-hp motor doing 22 city / 31 hwy when turning all four wheels.

Of course the hybrid Fusion Energi killed it, getting 47 city and 47 hwy. That is only bested by the 2012 Toyota Prius C and Prius, ties the 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid and beats the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid. Among its competitors, the Fusion is in the mosh pit with the 2012 Toyota Camry's 25 city / 35 hwy, the Honda Accord's 27 city / 37 hwy and the Chevrolet Malibu's 22 city / 34 hwy, with just the sedan-surfing Nissan Altima jumping out at 27 city / 38 hwy.

click: autoblog.com/2012/09/07/2013-ford-fusion-rated-at-25-37-mpg-hybrid-gets-47-mpg/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks great. The Fusion was already a great car and this one looks to clean it up even more. Good EPA results! It will be extremely tough to beat the Altima though. That Nissan has a lot of momentum behind it. The Fusion sure looks classy though.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The new 2013 Altima looks plain looking to me. The interior is nice though. The new Fusion looks so much better then the Altima in my opinion. I hope Ford sells a ton of these.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It looks like the 2013 Fusion won't be getting the LED running lights like it's European counterpart the Mondeo. I wonder why Ford didn't offer those lights for the North American version? That's really unfortunate since it adds a lot to the car.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Holy balls, i love that wagon. Please come here with a sport package! I have always loved the high performance wagons ie. CTS-V , magnum SRT8. Too only a handful of stateside people feel the way i do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ford has been doing that quite a bit with their "global" models. I would have went ST3 if they offered the Recaro bench seat in the U.S.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I actually like the last Fusion with the chrome bar grill better than the new one. I still wish they would offer a performance variant of the Fusion here in the US. I would probably have bought it instead of the ST. I would love to have the Falcon or the Australian Ranger here in the US. The Taurus SHO is a joke compared to the Flacon Boss 335.

2011 Ford Falcon FPV Boss 335 GT First Drive - Motor Trend

·
Registered
88 Posts
Holy balls, i love that wagon. Please come here with a sport package! I have always loved the high performance wagons ie. CTS-V , magnum SRT8. Too only a handful of stateside people feel the way i do.
If I made way more money than I do (or lived somewhere much cheaper, I suppose), I'd have a CTS-V wagon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts