Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys I'm new here and am looking to get a new car in a few months, my father has a 2013 Mustang GT premium that he said he was willing to sell to me for $24k; the car has under 20,000 miles. I am also looking at getting a magnetic 2015 ST st2 package with no other options but those, my family owns a ford dealership so I'd be getting at or below invoice price. I'm a 18 year old male which route would you guys go?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm sure others who have/have had Mustangs will chime in. I can't say anything about them other than I love the look and sound of a GT in my area with Roush exhaust. For me, the decision comes down to what I want and need in a car. A Mustang or other coupe would be fun for sure, but I like having a sporty four-door for occasional people hauling, and the hatch with fold-down seats comes in handy for random cargo stuff on the smaller side. At least in my area, there are lots of Mustangs on the road and not many STs (different in the area cities maybe); I like a little rareness without a massive purchase price. Coupes may cost more to insure than four-door and four-door hatches I hear but I've never confirmed that. Fuel consumption should be about the same in my experience but some ST drivers are getting closer to 30 MPG. I'm sure the two drive differently which may be the biggest thing for you to consider. Take each for a spin and see what you think. If the 2015 isn't available yet, grab a 2014 as the engine and most other mechanical stuff should be the same. Let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
26 Posts
We traded in a 2011 Mustang GT Premium for our 2013 Focus ST (an ST2 like the one you're considering), so I can understand your dilemma (and you're not crazy for cross-shopping them). Both are great cars and very enjoyable to drive, so--like zulujams said above--it ultimately comes down to what you want out of the car. Read on for a few observations/comparisons (in no particular order).

In terms of performance, I don't feel like I lost anything when I switched. Although the Mustang is significantly quicker from 0-60 than the ST, it just doesn't feel that way. The ST's turbo motor has so much twist from low in the rev range that it will pin you back in your seat just as much as the Mustang. And in my experience the ST handles better and is more nimble than the Mustang. I participate in a lot of autocross events, and the ST is far and away a better car for that--which is a big reason I made the trade.

The interior of the ST feels quite a bit more cramped than that of the Mustang for the driver and front-seat passenger, while the ST is obviously more spacious in the back seat. The ST also offers the convenience of a hatchback (a big perk if this will be your only vehicle), but I never found the Mustang's trunk to be lacking (and you can fold the rear seats down for more space).

Most of what I've written so far is biased towards the ST, but the Mustang does have some things to offer that its little brother does not. Like the motor. The "Coyote" V8 is silky smooth and has a nice, throaty, baritone grumble that the ST's EcoBoost can only dream about. I loved the shifter in the GT (and its placement in the console, with the exception of the cupholders) more so than the one in the ST, which has always seemed a bit awkward to me. The Mustang's retro-style, color-changing gauges and sequential turn signals were really cool too, even if they are a bit gimmicky.

Ultimately, I am happy with our decision to trade the Mustang in for the ST, but I still sometimes miss our Mustang when I see another one on the road. You really can't go wrong with either. Drive both and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really need to haul people around or anything large, it will mostly be a commuter car going to houses for sales and things like that. I want both for fun mostly. I may be driving 40+ miles a day and I'm 6'3 so I want something I can mess around with and still have space inside and not feel cramped for drives.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I just told Casey I really want a fun car that doesn't have to haul much, but will be fun and can go on trips over 40 miles comfortably on a weekly basis. I'm also 6'3 would that be a problem in the St?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If I had a chance to buy a great Mustang GT for that price and know it was a good car... I would take the GT500 Mustang.
First off the value. It will hold that value a LOT longer. The ST will be worth $8K less just driving it out the Dealer lot.
That GT500 Mustang cost what $45,000 new???
The GT has more 'dude' panache with ordinary folks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like I just told Casey I really want a fun car that doesn't have to haul much, but will be fun and can go on trips over 40 miles comfortably on a weekly basis. I'm also 6'3 would that be a problem in the St?
As I mentioned in my first post, the Mustang's interior is definitely roomier, but the ST could be fine. Sit in both and see what you think.

If you're looking mostly for fun, both cars certainly fit the bill. That being said, if cargo/passenger room and fuel economy aren't big deals for you (I average about 25 mpg in the ST and did about 19 mpg in the Mustang), then perhaps the Mustang is the car for you. Like Elizabeth said, you will take a pretty big depreciation hit on a new ST that you won't on the used Mustang.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Sorry for the delay on the height question. I'm 6'3" and have no issues with that though note that I ordered the car without a moonroof. I had dreams of trying auto cross but other commitments have come up. I sat in and test drove one with a moonroof and it seemed fine also but I just wanted the extra headroom and found that I rarely used the moonroof on the last two cars.

Body shape may be more the issue if you go with the Recaro seats. I'm fine for an hour or so but do find that I can't get my shoulder blades flush against the seat. I feel a bit of a pinch there. I'm ok with the bolsters by the hips and legs. I have lost weight, down to 215, and that may have helped. Larger owners have either praised or complained about the Recaros. They aren't for everyone.

Let us know how you feel after a test ride!

·
Registered
54 Posts
mustangs are far too common for me plus I love the utility of a hatchback. I am an electrical contractor. i do most of my service calls with my ST. the tundra stays home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts