Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volvo is adding a bit of exclusivity to its C30 hatchback for the 2013 model year by offering a special Polestar Limited Edition model in the United States. And we do mean limited – only 250 of the Rebel Blue hatches will be offered, boasting upgraded performance (sort of) and a whole host of standard kit.

We say "sort of" because, well, the Polestar power kit for this special C30 isn't any different than what you can spec on the standard car. Still, it offers an additional 23 horsepower and 27 pound-feet of torque, bringing the turbocharged inline-five's output numbers up to 250 and 273, respectively, paired to either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.

Aside from its new blue hue (that we really like, by the way), the Polestar Limited Edition is set apart from other C30 models with the addition of unique 17-inch Styx matte black alloy wheels, as well as a color-coordinated R-Design body kit. Inside, standard equipment matches that of the C30 Premium Plus model, meaning all of the Limited Edition cars are fitted with a sunroof, power seats, an auto-dimming rear-view mirror, LED daytime running lights and Xenon headlamps. Of course, if you're feeling spendy, you can option up for the Platinum model, which adds navigation and a premium sound system to the mix.

All of this limited-run goodness comes at a price, though – the front-wheel-drive Polestar Edition retails for $32,445, including $895 for destination. Ticking the Platinum option will no doubt increase that cost by a few grand, and while it'll certainly be a hoot to drive, it's far more expensive than loaded competitors like the Mazdaspeed3 and runs into all-wheel-drive Volkswagen Golf R territory.

click: autoblog.com/2012/09/11/2013-volvo-c30-polestar

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Less power, and more money than ST.

On the go via Tapatalk

·
4,009 Posts
yup but still the fact is they are making a performance orientated try is good enough , and i might be wrong but wasnt the last gen st a 5 cyl based off of volvos motor ?
You are correct. Also the same chassis as the ST, they are cousins. C30 was built under Ford ownership.

Nice car but not the drivers car the ST is. I almost bought one as it was a close to a ST as we would get until Ford wised up and brought us the ST.

Another thing, The tech in the C30 is circa 1980. Nothing as cool as MFT and Sync. They have blue tooth and Nav but Volvo is known to have one of the worst OEM Nav systems in the biz.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If it had AWD, I'd buy one. Exclusivity, better looking exterior than the new ST. But at that price, the Golf R is a superior option (or the ST3 for a few grand cheaper).

·
Registered
340 Posts
That might be one of the worst colors I have ever seen on a car.
To each his own, I suppose. This is similar to a Mustang flat color that I could only wish was available on the ST.

Decent limited run from Volvo. The price alone would take it out of my consideration set if I didn't already have my ST, but I'd certainly like to at least test drive one of these. The separation of Ford and Volvo is one I've come to regret - that five-pot sounds awesome.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I cannot from work but can someone post up the top gear bit with the polestar C30. I remember them talking very highly about it but i also remember it being a 1 off and possibly the 450hp awd monster.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
a forum full of guys raving about a car they've never driven while railing on another car they've never driven. very, very sad.

the volvo can be a great competitor for the ST. Same power specs in a, most likely, similarly weighted car. Won't be a driver's car? how can anyone say that? you've never driven one.

this would have been cool as the 400hp monster that top gear tested, and is only disappointing because of what it lacks compared to what we saw. it's expensive, but all european cars are over here.

·
4,009 Posts
a forum full of guys raving about a car they've never driven while railing on another car they've never driven. very, very sad.

the volvo can be a great competitor for the ST. Same power specs in a, most likely, similarly weighted car. Won't be a driver's car? how can anyone say that? you've never driven one.

this would have been cool as the 400hp monster that top gear tested, and is only disappointing because of what it lacks compared to what we saw. it's expensive, but all european cars are over here.
Ive driven one and I'd say I know more about the C30 than any member here given that I followed the C30 since its inception. Even the C30 guys say it's no match for the ST. Now Volvo puts some bits on it and it's a contender? It's a great car but it's dated now. if you are a die hard Volvo fan I can see the allure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ive driven one and I'd say I know more about the C30 than any member here given that I followed the C30 since its inception. Even the C30 guys say it's no match for the ST. Now Volvo puts some bits on it and it's a contender? It's a great car but it's dated now. if you are a die hard Volvo fan I can see the allure.
you haven't driven the polestar though. stiffer suspension, more power, a lot more torque...none of you have driven the polestar.

comparing the c30 to the ST is wrong, you should compare it to the focus. The polestar not a standard c30, like the ST is not a standard focus and the speeds are not standard 3s. you are all comparing your car to lesser cars and raving about it...how about comparing it to cars that will actually compete?

·
4,009 Posts
No I haven't driven a polestar. Im a huge fan of the C30 but I can see the forest for the trees. If you can find one for the advertised price, let me know.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm with you, but with one little caveat - the Polestar's starting price is at the very top of what you can spec an ST out to be (and actually possibly higher since there aren't even that many options you could pile on top of the ST3 to drive the price up, aside from maybe the rear-seat DVD screens:LOL:). That said, the C30 is about 9/10ths of what a MkII ST was anyways, so the DNA is definitely there. Yes, the C30 is a bit softer than the MkII, but it's got the same engine - and with a different suspension and power upgrade to match the current ST it can definitely compete - just not on price.

·
Registered
340 Posts
comparing the c30 to the ST is wrong, you should compare it to the focus.
No, you shouldn't. The GTI might be a closer comparison but certainly not the stock Focus, which is vastly underpowered and underpriced compared to the C30. They aren't even in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've driven the ST and I've driven the c30. The Volvo's handling can be summed up as "constant understeer" and it accelerates like it's hauling a ton of bricks, which is impossible because you can't even fit a golf club in the cargo area. It's very stylish, but also cramped, underpowered, overweight and did I mention it's got about as much cargo space as a Miata with the top down?

Now, I haven't driven this "factory tuned" polestar c30, but it's spec sheet places it at over 200 lbs heavier then the ST with less horsepower and less torque. A measly 23hp bump over the stock c30 with some stiffer suspension does not magically make this car a competitor in the hot hatch segment. Anyone who claims otherwise is confusing this c30 polestar edition with past Euro-only polestar c30's that had aroun 400hp and haldex AWD.

comparing the c30 to the ST is wrong, you should compare it to the focus.
Ok let's do that. The c30 polestar offers stiffer suspension, around 90 extra hp and torque, and it costs around $7000 more then the focus titanium. I don't think anyone is cross-shopping these cars, a better comparison would be the Audi A3 or Mercedes A-class. Both of those cars absolutely smoke the c30 polestar in performance and interior luxury, and they do it at a lower price.

The c30 is a stylish car, I think the best looking car in Volvo's lineup and one of the most interesting designs on the road. If you're looking for a small, entry-level luxury ride that's not German and you don't care about performance or handling, then the c30 is for you (though the similarly priced Lexus CT200h has equally nice styling with only a slight performance loss despite it's hybrid engine). But anyone who thinks this polestar edition can compete with the ST/GTI/MS3 with only slight performance tweaks is ignoring just how badly the base c30 compared to those cars in the first place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts