Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford has made an art of deeper-than-normal midlife updates since the 2010 Fusion, a strategy that has allowed it to keep models looking fresher in showrooms for longer without needing full redesigns. Instead of slight touchups to light fixtures, new paint colors and perhaps new wheel patterns, Ford has been digging deeper, with significant sheetmetal changes and very different front-end looks, along with an increased emphasis on new in-car technologies to keep models vibrant. Other automakers are following this trend, and Ford itself is continuing on the path with this new 2015 Focus Sedan.

We first saw this sleek Aston Martin-like nose fitted to a Focus at the Geneva Motor Show last month, but Ford only showed the new look on the five-door hatchback – this is the first appearance of the sedan, which will bow at next week's New York Auto Show. The front end treatment is the same, with a new hood, new headlamps incorporating LED accents, a different grille shape and a completely revised lower fascia that does away with the 2014 model's controversial triangle-shaped corners and gaping intakes. The rear gets a new two-piece, laser-brazed trunk lid with new taillamps, but the overall look is quite similar to last year's car. In any case, the refreshed look brings the Focus sedan more in line with the design of Ford's other recently reworked cars, including the Fusion and Fiesta.

For fans of sportier looking models that can't quite afford or justify splurging on the Focus ST, there's a handsome new SE Sport Package that includes a firmer touring suspension, modest body kit and 17-inch wheels. SE Sports equipped with Ford's optional dual-clutch gearbox also receive paddle shifters.

read more/pics: autoblog.com/2014/04/09/2015-ford-focus-sedan-new-york-official/

...:cool:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hate the fake grill.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Not the 2015 Focus doesn't. I wouldn't take your ST cues from the Electric.
The 2015 Electric, keeps the old headlamps and hood. The model is low volume, likewise the ST is low volume. Would not surprise me in the least if they kept the old hood and front end (and only updated the back) for the ST as they did the Electric. Specifically because the ST front end already matches the design of the 2015, just as the Electric did beforehand.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The 2015 Electric, keeps the old headlamps and hood. The model is low volume, likewise the ST is low volume. Would not surprise me in the least if they kept the old hood and front end (and only updated the back) for the ST as they did the Electric. Specifically because the ST front end already matches the design of the 2015, just as the Electric did beforehand.
Faulty logic all around. ST currently does NOT match the front end design of the 2015 specifically because it doesn't have a Fiesta-style hood with no gap (like the 2015). The Focus Electric has completely different requirements for the front end, as well, because of the equipment underneath the hood. Last I checked, the ST still had a conventional engine, so, no, it should by no means follow the design cues of the Electric. Low volume isn't low volume isn't low volume.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Faulty logic all around. ST currently does NOT match the front end design of the 2015 specifically because it doesn't have a Fiesta-style hood with no gap (like the 2015). The Focus Electric has completely different requirements for the front end, as well, because of the equipment underneath the hood. Last I checked, the ST still had a conventional engine, so, no, it should by no means follow the design cues of the Electric. Low volume isn't low volume isn't low volume.
Excuse me? Faulty logic? Sounds like you are in denial. Lets get some pictures here to show you where my sound logic comes from.

Focus ST (in case you forgot):
Ford Focus ST picture # 04 of 45, Front Angle, MY 2013, 800x600

Fiesta ST
Ford Fiesta ST picture # 02 of 44, Front Angle, MY 2014, 800x600

Now lets see them versus the regular cars

Focus (2015)
Ford Focus picture # 04 of 47, Front Angle, MY 2015, 800x600

Fiesta
Ford Fiesta picture # 02 of 26, Front Angle, MY 2014, 800x600

So lets see, stock cars have trapezoidal grille with bars in it, and ST's have trapezoidal grille with honeycomb in it. Yes Focus ST has the emblem on the hood crease line, this isn't a giant deal as most people don't even notice such things (your so called hood gap reasoning)

FYI here is the electric:
Ford Focus Electric picture # 06 of 59, Front, MY 2012, 800x600

Therefore here is my sound logic. 2014 Focus ST already is similar enough to the 2015 Focus, as the 2014 Fiesta ST is to the 2014 Fiesta that there is no need to redesign the front end. Since for the Electric which also is already similar enough to the 2015 model Ford has shown they didn't redesign the front end it is a reasonable conclusion to assume that the 2015 Focus ST will be similar (if not identical) to the 2014 Focus ST. I see no reason to change the headlamps and hood on the Focus ST to match the 2015 Focus (since clearly the tooling for those parts is being used for the 2015 Electric). If ANYTHING changes, I'd say the fangs are removed from the honeycomb grille. The whole lower valence on the Focus ST already matches the Fiesta ST so that won't change as that's the ST style front end.

However the interior and the rear end of the 2015 will be updated. Finally it looks like the European and US interiors will not be identical as the US retains the "Sony" branding for the radio (and thus the gloss black part in the center).

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
There are already photos floating around the internet of the ST with the new nose on it:Spy Shots

·
4,009 Posts
Exhaust is not final. Just part of the mule.

·
4,009 Posts
Humor / sarcasm doesn't always come across well on the www

·
4,009 Posts
That is the next ST.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Excuse me? Faulty logic? Sounds like you are in denial. Lets get some pictures here to show you where my sound logic comes from.
Yes, faulty logic. You know, the by-product of comparing a limited edition of a regular car with an electric that might as well be its own separate program.
So lets see, stock cars have trapezoidal grille with bars in it, and ST's have trapezoidal grille with honeycomb in it. Yes Focus ST has the emblem on the hood crease line, this isn't a giant deal as most people don't even notice such things (your so called hood gap reasoning)
Nowhere in your original post did you bother with the Fiesta. What I see from your photos, however, is the following:
Fiesta: both ST and base vehicle have the same hood. (We weren't discussing grilles, we're discussing hoods. I don't think even you can expect the Focus ST to have the same grille as the electric.)
Focus: in 2013-2014, both ST and base vehicle had the same hood. Like I said, the BEV is completely irrelevant due to completely different under-hood content (like, for example, the fact that it's distinctly missing an internal combustion engine). Why in G-d's ass wouldn't the 2015 ST and base vehicles share the same hood? (To say nothing of how big of a problem the hood gap was - and believe me, Ford was made all too keenly aware of this through social media and other enthusiast feedback.)
Therefore here is my sound logic. 2014 Focus ST already is similar enough to the 2015 Focus, as the 2014 Fiesta ST is to the 2014 Fiesta that there is no need to redesign the front end.
You keep saying it's sound but offer no proof. The 2014 Focus ST is, in fact, NOT similar enough to the 2015 base Focus. Why would Ford redesign the base car and leave the ST alone? Especially considering the reason the 2014 Fiesta is similar to the 2014 ST is that their design was common and new for 2014 MY.
Since for the Electric which also is already similar enough to the 2015 model Ford has shown they didn't redesign the front end it is a reasonable conclusion to assume that the 2015 Focus ST will be similar (if not identical) to the 2014 Focus ST.
No, it isn't.
I see no reason to change the headlamps and hood on the Focus ST to match the 2015 Focus (since clearly the tooling for those parts is being used for the 2015 Electric).
How about a little something called having a consistent design language?
The whole lower valence on the Focus ST already matches the Fiesta ST so that won't change as that's the ST style front end.
Completely irrelevant once again. The STs aren't a separate program made to look alike no matter how much we might wish for that to be the case. Both STs are variants of their respective base vehicle lines and there's no reason the Focus and Fiesta need to have the exact same front end, otherwise the Fiesta would have had those "fangs" (character lines) you are referencing.
However the interior and the rear end of the 2015 will be updated.
Right, because that makes all the sense in the world. Let's update the ST's rear end but leave the front end alone to match the BEV.

Bottom line, your "sound" logic is premised on your assumption that because both the BEV and the ST are made in limited quantities (although I'm not sure what "limited" means in this case as Ford has always said publicly that they would build to demand, so it's not like they're artificially restricting supply), it doesn't make any sense to design two different front ends. This is what I called flawed, because the BEV and ST could not be more dissimilar and therefore should not be compared. Hell, they aren't even equally "limited". I don't have the exact numbers, but I'm willing to bet you dollars to donuts that the ST outsells the BEV by, oh, 3x or so.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't think that's an ST. They wouldn't camo the ST front end at this point (no one likes camo, just makes testing harder), even if it changes for 2015 since the rest of the range has been released.
Of course they would camo it. Until it's publicly revealed, you can bet that you will not see STs being tested without camo.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Never understood the whole camo thing ...seems some public feedback prior to production would be helpful
Because the cars aren't ready for production and are not up to the standards of production fitment. As well as being pre-production or mules based on the current car they don't want to give away the changes before they are ready to reveal the car in part because it would hurt current sales of the outgoing model, plus it gives your competition a chance to counter your car before it ever goes on sale.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Never understood the whole camo thing ...seems some public feedback prior to production would be helpful
Plus trim pieces and other aesthetic parts may be missing and it would probably look rather ugly. The manufacturer likely doesn't want a bunch of ugly pictures and articles out there of new model prototypes, especially if the design is not final.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts