Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked around but didn't find much. Anybody tried a 225/60/16 tire? Going to look at a set of wheels that have a brand new tires. Not worried about the speedo. Would rather the speedo be slow than fast. I am going to try and test fit them before i buy. Just thought I would ask before I go later today.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've just put my crappy dealer supplied steel wheels and winters on and noticed they're 205/60-16. They seem to fit without any issue but now I'm concerned they're too small. Any thoughts Joe?

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
You might want to try a 215/55R16. Much more options available and the narrow tire will be better in deep snow and slush.

I just bought some Winter Claw Extreme Grip MX Winter tires. They seem to be pretty good tires and are considered a "performance" winter tire. They have a 97 loading rating, which is higher than the stock GY's and they have an H speed rating. Be careful, because a large percentage of winter tires have a lower speed rating, Q.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You might want to try a 215/55R16. Much more options available and the narrow tire will be better in deep snow and slush.

I just bought some Winter Claw Extreme MX Winter tires. They seem to be pretty good tires and are considered a "performance" winter tire. They have a 97 loading rating, which is higher than the stock GY's and they have an H speed rating. Be careful, because a large percentage of winter tires have a lower speed rating, Q.
Thanks for the info but I'm kinda stuck with these unless there's a chance they could damage the car. In which case I'll go back to the dealership that sold them to me with my ST and see why they did and what they are going to do about it

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've just put my crappy dealer supplied steel wheels and winters on and noticed they're 205/60-16. They seem to fit without any issue but now I'm concerned they're too small. Any thoughts Joe?
Speedo will only read 1.1% slower with that rubber. They're actually closer to the OEM size 18" tire than the 225/55/16s. The narrower and taller tire will perform better than the wider tire in snow, but you'll lose a bit of dry performance. In the winter if your goal is the best snow traction, narrow and taller is the way to go.

215/55/16 is the closest you'll get to the OEM 18" size, but what you have will work fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speedo will only read 1.1% slower with that rubber. They're actually closer to the OEM size 18" tire than the 225/55/16s. The narrower and taller tire will perform better than the wider tire in snow, but you'll lose a bit of dry performance. In the winter if your goal is the best snow traction, narrow and taller is the way to go.
Thanks Joe. So shouldn't cause any issues with callipers or suspension then?

·
Registered
903 Posts
The spare tire is a 16. No fit issues should occur with the right off-set

In fact if you RTFM you see that Ford recommends 3 smaller winter sizes (two 17's and one 16). I will post them for your convenience:

235/45-17
215/50-17
215/55-16

From page 17

Also on the same page, spare tire:

Spare tire Continental ContiPro Contact
Size 215/55–16
Speed rating H
Load rating 9 3
Usage All season
Wheel 16 in. x 6.5 in. 50 mm offset steel wheels

·
Registered
35 Posts
The spare tire is a 16. No fit issues should occur with the right off-set

In fact if you RTFM you see that Ford recommends 3 smaller winter sizes (two 17's and one 16). I will post them for your convenience:

235/45-17
215/50-17
215/55-16

From page 17

Also on the same page, spare tire:

Spare tire Continental ContiPro Contact
Size 215/55–16
Speed rating H
Load rating 9 3
Usage All season
Wheel 16 in. x 6.5 in. 50 mm offset steel wheels
Again, thanks for the info. I always RTFM before posting a question actually and I did in this case too. The reason I asked was because the wheels provided by the dealer were 205/60-16 not 215/55-16. I'm not particularly knowledgable in these things, so that's why I asked.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Again, thanks for the info. I always RTFM before posting a question actually and I did in this case too. The reason I asked was because the wheels provided by the dealer were 205/60-16 not 215/55-16. I'm not particularly knowledgable in these things, so that's why I asked.
What I'd like to know is why your dealer is using an unrecommened size. I'd ask them that pointedly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have looked around but didn't find much. Anybody tried a 225/60/16 tire? Going to look at a set of wheels that have a brand new tires. Not worried about the speedo. Would rather the speedo be slow than fast. I am going to try and test fit them before i buy. Just thought I would ask before I go later today.
I just put 225 60R 16 winter studded on my Ford Focus hatchback 2012 they work great no rubbing no matter how hard I drive. I'm here in Manitoba and as usual it's a Winter storm today my Focus is plowing through the snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
225 60R 16 winter tires studded work great on my2012 Ford Focus Hatchback.Stock wheel's no alterations to car fenders.I drive hard through a storm we're having today and no rubbing lots of room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts