Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called another dealer in the area to get some info and my name on their list of people to call when they do have info. The sales person had no idea what I was talking about. I asked if there was any information about the st and they replied with " focus se" im like no the st, plz hold sr........a few minutes later they came back with you mean the electric focus. I said no the ST, they said im not sure, I can call my manager. I then hung up. Has anyone else experienced this? Im sure im not the only one who was experienced the lack of knowledge with sales people. If I knew that little about my job I wouldn't last a day.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Same here, every sales person at every dealer I've been to has been clueless about the ST. You would think as sellers of Ford vehicles they would I don't know, at least try to keep up with the latest soon to be released products? It's sad really. I guess they only care about what car they can sell you today, not one they can sell you in a few months.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know how it works in the US, but having worked for a Holden Dealership here in Australia, they'll take a deposit on anything - wether it exists or not.

When the Monaro Concept car was first shown back in 1998, we were swamped with inquiries about the Monaro - the factory hadn't even said that they were considering it for production...but people wanted to put deposits on it so we took their money and promised that they'd be first in the que if it was released. By 2000 Holden had confirmed that it would go into production and even more people showed up to put their money down - so the dealership had all this money in the bank just sitting around earning interest.

Come 2002 when the Monaro was finally ready to hit the showroom floor and it was time to turn deposits into orders, some had changed their mind or were in a different financial position etc, etc, but many were converted to sales of other Holden products if they were no longer interested in the Monaro.

Fobbing people off shows poor salesmanship - I've always found that a politely but strongly worded letter to the Dealer Principal wakes them up quick smart!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I called 4 different dealerships in my area the past couple weeks. All have said they would call me back in a few minutes. None have. Guess I'll have to drive farther since I don't want to give business to a dealership that won't even return my phone call.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
The lack of knowledge is unacceptable. Honestly, know your product and your competitions product. I'm not a salesperson but there would seem to be a bit of down time on the job and even if there isn't you better do your homework.

Had the same, what are you talking about conversations. To the credit of my dealership, they knew I was seriously interested and the salesperson that wants my business, did do his homework. Did have to point them to the data sheet when it came out but then again, they aren't looking for it like I am. I figure they might sell 5 ST total out of this dealership if that so there probably isn't that much motivation to get to know more about this specific version of the Focus.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The lack of knowledge is unacceptable. Honestly, know your product and your competitions product. I'm not a salesperson but there would seem to be a bit of down time on the job and even if there isn't you better do your homework.

Had the same, what are you talking about conversations. To the credit of my dealership, they knew I was seriously interested and the salesperson that wants my business, did do his homework. Did have to point them to the data sheet when it came out but then again, they aren't looking for it like I am. I figure they might sell 5 ST total out of this dealership if that so there probably isn't that much motivation to get to know more about this specific version of the Focus.
My dealership definitely knows it's coming. They seem excited about it. On another note, I've seen zero activity at the plant when it comes to the ST. Management is way more interested in the C-max, and Electric.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This doesn't seem too out of line. The product is not on the showroom floor yet, so you can't sell it yet. Sounds like dealerships won't see 'em until Sept., which leaves plenty of lead time for sales staff to get up to speed. And as noted above, in limited production, not many salespeople will sell more than one or two each (I really have no idea how many sales people Ford employs worldwide, but I think the point comes across).

And I would think this will be in the favor of the buyer who knows what he/she wants (namely, each of us). Walk in knowing the trim level, color and the odd option or two--make it quick and easy for the salesman or manager--and place your order. Tough to get a bunch of up-sell pitches if they don't know what they're selling, right? I bought a 2 year old used Honda Insight hybrid from a used car dealer back in the early days of that technology. They were really happy unloading it on me at a discount since it kept "stalling" every time we came to a stop on the test drive. Since they didn't know about the auto shut-off at stops for fuel savings, I took the "defective" car off of their hands!

And as long as people aren't knocking down their doors upon opening the order banks, the low demand should match up with the low supply to keep price gouging in check. I hope I hope I hope.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This doesn't seem too out of line. The product is not on the showroom floor yet, so you can't sell it yet. Sounds like dealerships won't see 'em until Sept., which leaves plenty of lead time for sales staff to get up to speed. And as noted above, in limited production, not many salespeople will sell more than one or two each (I really have no idea how many sales people Ford employs worldwide, but I think the point comes across).

And I would think this will be in the favor of the buyer who knows what he/she wants (namely, each of us). Walk in knowing the trim level, color and the odd option or two--make it quick and easy for the salesman or manager--and place your order. Tough to get a bunch of up-sell pitches if they don't know what they're selling, right? I bought a 2 year old used Honda Insight hybrid from a used car dealer back in the early days of that technology. They were really happy unloading it on me at a discount since it kept "stalling" every time we came to a stop on the test drive. Since they didn't know about the auto shut-off at stops for fuel savings, I took the "defective" car off of their hands!

And as long as people aren't knocking down their doors upon opening the order banks, the low demand should match up with the low supply to keep price gouging in check. I hope I hope I hope.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do think u make perfect sense Ron. The less they know the better off we are. But at the same time, their lack of knowledge will test our patients.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts