Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three questions:

1) How do you access the shift light?
I imagine I'm overlooking something simple, but I enable it and set the RPMs then go to "Live Data" and cannot find it listed.

2) Why does the boost gauge show a negative level when under no acceleration, why not just zero?

3) What are those octane options (again, under live data) showing? Does it detect the octane level currently in the car or what the tune is set for? In my case, the Octane option displays "91" but I always fill with 93 and have the 93 tune set as well...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Three questions:

I imagine I'm overlooking something simple, but I enable it and set the RPMs then go to "Live Data" and cannot find it listed.

2) Why does the boost gauge show a negative level when under no acceleration, why not just zero?

3) What are those octane options (again, under live data) showing? Does it detect the octane level currently in the car or what the tune is set for? In my case, the Octane option displays "91" but I always fill with 93 and have the 93 tune set as well...
1. Not sure, don't have AP yet.
2. Vacuum vs. boost (positive manifold pressure)
3. Typically, maps are labeled with the octane rating/used in mind. So a 91 map is configured to use 91 octane - pretty simple. Without going into everything, they've set the boost, fuel, and timing to be under a certain threshold of knock. Using a higher octane is better, but you won't necessarily take advantage of higher octane on a lower octane map. Using lower octane simply means that the PCM/ECM will adjust settings as needed (LTKNK, STKNK, LTFT, etc.) to protect the engine.

Hopefully that makes sense. Tried to keep it simple.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I understand the difference in each tune but was wondering what the octane monitor on the AP was showing. The fact that mine displays "91" when I'm using a 93 tune and 93 octane fuel didn't make any sense.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
158 Posts
Three questions:

1. Just set the shift light to any RPM you want. Then, go to live monitor and select any monitor you want. Once you reach the shift RPM, the entire screen on the AP will flash.

2. Vacuum is negative and measured as well. Any throttle lift situation will show vacuum.

3. That is the RON rating, and a number pulled directly from the ECU. It rarely changes.

Ian

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Just set the shift light to any RPM you want. Then, go to live monitor and select any monitor you want. Once you reach the shift RPM, the entire screen on the AP will flash.

2. Vacuum is negative and measured as well. Any throttle lift situation will show vacuum.

3. That is the RON rating, and a number pulled directly from the ECU. It rarely changes.

Ian
Excellent, thanks Ian.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks. I understand the difference in each tune but was wondering what the octane monitor on the AP was showing. The fact that mine displays "91" when I'm using a 93 tune and 93 octane fuel didn't make any sense.

Copy that, I misunderstood the original question. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
726 Posts
So if it rarely changes, and reads 91, with 93 fuel, what's going on?

I was also wondering about the shift light. I don't see any menu item that says shift light. There's one to set Max rpm shift point (or something, I'm not looking at it), but that's it. I've revved it the limiter and nothing blinked.

For logging, does it only log one thing at a time? Displaying one thing is obvious, but I would have thought it would just log everything and you'd pick out the data you want after.

While I'm at it, when you turn off the car, AP displays a screen saying it's looking for the ecu info, which makes sense. When you restart, that message stays on that screen. I have to unplug and re-plug to get it to work. When the engine is off, does AP ever finally shut down? Tom Tom gps did that. Wouldn't recognize engine shut down as a signal to shut off. Drove me nuts. Thus ended the experiment with non-Garmin gps.

Exploring my new AP, I was looking at the charge air temps a bit while driving home from a novice autocross session (good fun, clearly I suck at slalom, and rear drive is better for tight turns). I saw mostly temps in mid-40s? Outside air temp about the same. Coldest day I've driven the ST. Put about 200 miles on it in and around Raleigh and hit 27mpg avg. previous best was 24. I also had the stock tires on instead of Michelin Primacys. But it seemed to me that the motor really performs better when the air temp is cool (duh, no motor likes to be hot, but this was quite the swing). I think too, the lower hwy speed there helped. The gearing is such that over 65, things get ugly. But the hilly terrain and some sections of slow traffic, plus about 40 miles done at 75mph should have evened that out. I guess I'm looking for an excuse to justify the FMIC - better gas mileage!

What data should I log if I want to send it back to you to check that it's not running to close to the point of detonation?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dovecom, I have noticed most of what you mentioned as well. And I still can't get a shift light to appear after setting the RPMs.

For the ecu communication after turning the car off, I hit the down arrow on the AP and that seems to reinitiate the connection. But it won't turn off/on automatically with the car (would that be possible to enable with future firmware, Cobb?)

·
Vendor
225 Posts
Dove - From what I have seen the PID does not do what it's showing it should do in the logic. I will likely remove those PID's in a future update. They are supposed to show a dynamic octane based on feedback from the octane adjust ratio learned but have never shifted values in the entire time we tested octane adjustment learning.

The AP has a "Log List" that is pre-set from us but can be modified by going to the "Monitor" menu and selecting "Set Log List". In here you will also find the setting for the shift light. In order for the shift light to work you must be on the latest firmware (released 2/26/13) as there was an initial bug that prevented this feature from working correctly. Simply set the RPM you wish to use and the whole screen on the AP will flash when the RPM is breached, regardless of what monitor you are watching.

The Charge Air Temp will hover above AAT (Ambient Air Temp) in most normal driving conditions. Once you push for power the CAT will rise quickly and then come back down once you are off the gas or begin coasting. The FMIC upgrade will keep these temps lower all around through every driving condition, but you will still see ~AAT when cruising. I have noticed a solid +3mpg after upgrading the FMIC and Intake on my car with me driving around the same way.

If you update your firmware and select "Reset Log List", any datalogs taken with that configuration would be enough for us to review.

4W4K3/Dove - The AP does not currently have auto-off functionality. It's something we're looking into but has not been an issue in the past. When you turn off the car, the data stream is lost and thus the AP displays that it can't communicate. You would then need to back out of that screen or power off the AP to begin a retry of communications once the vehicle is ON/Running. It's something we'd like to improve, and will hope to have some time to look into it soon!

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

·
Registered
726 Posts
Thanks a bunch. I'm going to uninstall the up-tune for a few weeks to see what kind of mileage I get. I'll flash the firmware and re-uptune in a couple weeks for an autocross event. I had a blast on Sunday. The car completely overwhelms the stock tires on a tight course. The only other thing out there with obviously too much power for its wheels was a CTS-V. I'm in no need of any more power right now. The guy at the wheel of this car is the weakest link.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info Braden. I upgraded the firmware last night and will test today.
You guys working on v103 maps right now or is the current tune even in need of any changes?

·
Vendor
225 Posts
Thanks for the info Braden. I upgraded the firmware last night and will test today.
You guys working on v103 maps right now or is the current tune even in need of any changes?

Funny you mention that :) I actually finished up all of the v103 updates and testing a few weeks back and will be bundling them into our next firmware update. This will also include our Stage 3 maps!

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny you mention that :) I actually finished up all of the v103 updates and testing a few weeks back and will be bundling them into our next firmware update. This will also include our Stage 3 maps!

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB
Fantastic! Any hints on what we can expect to change or a release date?

·
Vendor
225 Posts
Fantastic! Any hints on what we can expect to change or a release date?

We have further refined the driving experience with the next update. No changes to WOT power, all of this is for everyday driving scenarios to make the car feel and run even better! Trying to get an estimate but our official releases would fall on the last Tuesday of the month in most cases.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

·
Registered
862 Posts
We have further refined the driving experience with the next update. No changes to WOT power, all of this is for everyday driving scenarios to make the car feel and run even better! Trying to get an estimate but our official releases would fall on the last Tuesday of the month in most cases.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB
Great, might be just in time for me to get a FMIC! Can't wait.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would love a student mode. Like the valet mode but limited to 65mph, no boost. And if it could be set to autolog speed and accel pos., that would be a bonus.

·
Vendor
225 Posts
I would love a student mode. Like the valet mode but limited to 65mph, no boost. And if it could be set to autolog speed and accel pos., that would be a bonus.
While the auto-log is not currently feasible, the speed limit and boost settings are accessible in our upcoming Accesstuner software to create a custom calibration like this. You can also adjust the MyKey speed limiters to make further use of a de-tuned calibration like that which will give you even more limitations from the built-in Ford MyKey features.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

·
Registered
726 Posts
too cheap to buy another key. They're crazy money. And AccessTuner isn't free, is it?

BTW, I switched from 93 octane LT map to regular 93. Can't believe I can tell the difference, but I really can! I much prefer the LT map.

·
Registered
726 Posts
forgot to mention this, I installed the newest firmware, and the shift light still doesn't work. I set the shift point to 5000 and revved it to the 7220 limiter. Nada. I bounced it off the limiter long enough to make sure. Thoughts?

·
Vendor
225 Posts
too cheap to buy another key. They're crazy money. And AccessTuner isn't free, is it?

BTW, I switched from 93 octane LT map to regular 93. Can't believe I can tell the difference, but I really can! I much prefer the LT map.
Yes, the Accesstuner Race software will be free for the initial release. You'll likely love the new LT update coming soon if you already like the current one ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts