Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing around some other forums and saw something I liked but other seem to flame as being RICE. Was wondering what others here thought of it. I saw a pic of someone who put LED lights somewhere under the hood that accented the front grille/radiator. I thought it looked cool, and would look cool behind the black mesh grill on the Focus ST with white light (considering I'm getting a silver ST other colors might accent better for other car colors). I'm not talking about cheesy LEDs that people are mounting on the grille, but rather behind in the engine compartment. I found a video that shows it a bit, but there is also LED lighting that I don't like in this video.

What I am trying to point out is the blue color that accents the radiator behind the grille. Incase this link doesn't forward to the correct spot, it can be seen at 1:28 into the video ... it is the blue/white coloring (not the red/yellow near the headlights).

Watching the video, I *think* this is accomplished with the strip of LED lights up at the back top of the engine compartment. It shows those lights just before the 1:28 mark in the video. I think this might look pretty sweet when comparing the grille of the Focus ST.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
139 Posts
That kind of mod is very easy to do even if you have no experience with electronics. Aside from being easy, it is also very cheap.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
2012-05-08_21-24-38_166.jpg

Yes. I did DRL on my Fiesta for under $50.

Reactions: Americarsftw

·
Registered
381 Posts
I really might have to look into getting some lighting for the inside of the Car. As cheesy and useless as it sounds, i really did like the interior mood lighting that came with the TI, but i was to skeet to spring for the ST3, and opted for the ST2 instead, which it seems didn't come with the interior lighting.

Anyone know how much it would run to create a similar effect?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I really thing that the interior lighting in cars is terribly overlooked. There are so many different great ways of creating mood and complimenting the spirit of the car..
The problem is that its going to take building one to know ho much it will cost. Were you going to use any sorts of controllers?
Have you laid out an idea yet on paper?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't even know where to start lol. I am terrible when it comes to things like that. I'm the prime target for manufacturer's that sell "kits" b/c i have absolutely no imagination or know how =(

·
Registered
139 Posts
You're a couple of youtube videos away from being a pro:) First figure out exactly what you want to do and what you want to light up. Then research it for a few hours and you will see that there are multiple ways of doing it. Easiest way is to just piece together your own "kit" off of ebay or something. LED's and supporting equipment can be had for very cheap. Most will even come with simple directions/instructions.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
EXACTLY!!!!
My Grandad used to say:
"Aint no telling what a man can do if only he tried."

If you would like, Kaput, PM me with your contact info and I will help you get things going. I got a little experience in this sort of thing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Personally if done right and suttle in the interior they will look great. But beware it is a fine line to walk... what looks good and what looks bad/rice.

Sometimes less is more inless you go all the way. Same rule applies with women. :thumb:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I really might have to look into getting some lighting for the inside of the Car. As cheesy and useless as it sounds, i really did like the interior mood lighting that came with the TI, but i was to skeet to spring for the ST3, and opted for the ST2 instead, which it seems didn't come with the interior lighting.

I accomplished the exact same effect for about $50 in my wrangler and there are several discussions about how to do this on some of the other 2012 Focus forums
You just need the following.

- small RGB strips of leds or an RGB Led that run on 12-V like the ones from oznium.com
- RGB controller, I bought a $9 one from ebay with 3 knobs, works great but there are prettier solutions out there.
- wire and elbow grease.

I went with the 3 knob solution because I wanted to control the R. G. And B separately. I also went the LED strip route, It was WAY TOO BRIGHT. A single oznium adhesive backed rgb led per footwell/cupholder would suffice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
EXACTLY!!!!
My Grandad used to say:
"Aint no telling what a man can do if only he tried."

If you would like, Kaput, PM me with your contact info and I will help you get things going. I got a little experience in this sort of thing.
That would be cool. All i really want to do is kinda recreate the footwell lighting that i currently have in my titanium

·
Registered
417 Posts
I guarantee the dealership will install the interior lighting for you if you order the ST2. Most likely it won't be the day you pick up your car because they generally don't get parts for newly released cars for at least a couple months give or take. They will do ANYTHING to get your sale. I also guarantee they would put recaro seats in the base model if that's what it takes for you to buy from them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I went with the ST3 because I really liked the ambient lighting in my 09 Focus. But after seeing that video I might have to add some lighting to the engine compartment/grill area. I've been thinking of getting a couple Hella rally lights for the grill but I have to photoshop it out to see what it would look like first.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No one is talking LED rear lamps here, but I'm kinda pissed off ford didn't do LEDs in the rear. They are getting so common in cars nowadays... Especially cool cars. I know there are replacement socketed LED bulbs, but I'd much rather have a lamp cluster designed for LEDs

·
Registered
352 Posts
I looked on AAC style's website and the led strips are a lot more expensive than i expected, are they all like that or does anyone know where they can be found cheaper?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts