Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
135288_283402645114492_1841569128_o.jpg

I was in the market for either: winter tires and a second set of rims; Or all seasons. After pricing new rims(OEM) and storage of others, the All Seasons looked pretty good. With the Cold weather here and first dusting of snow the other week, I have swapped the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assemetic 2's for the Asymmetric 1 ,( All seasons). Good choice?

After some research,and seeing the F1 all seasons have identical ratting as the Summer only's. I decided to go with the F1 all seasons. The all season are almost the same in profile, just that there's a little more than 1/2" extra rubber making the tire 1+" taller.This helps to smooth out the bumps in the road a little more, however, they seem to give off a little more road noise.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bagdascar. I did see the video on that link.
All theese tires are so new there aren't any Snow tests done on any of the tires yet ,And that is the question, How will they perform in snow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not as well as snow tires. Jack of all trades, master of none. Do a google search for allseason vs snows. There are some good articles.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your replys. I did hold on to the stock summer tires.
There may be another issue to deal with. I took The ST on the highway today and noticed a 'thumping' sound from the rear once driving 40 mph, and louder w/ speed and some vibration. possible bearring? :S

·
Registered
145 Posts
So of course dedicated winter tires will give you the best grip in the snow.

However, I'm not sure I agree with the prior statement about how switching between winter and summer tires will save you money in the long run. Winter tires have no treadwear rating. I've never actually run winter tires so I can't speak to how much mileage people get out of them, but I have read that they wear out pretty quickly if you don't take them off as soon as the temperature starts to rise in the spring due to the softer rubber compound. Also, the summer tires have a fairly low treadwear rating. You'll likely only get somewhere around half the mileage on the summer tires that you will get on all seasons, depending on the specific tires selected. So it seems clear to me that from a cost standpoint, you will definitely be spending more money on tires with a winter / summer tire setup than an all season only tire setup. I do plan on running my summer tires next year, but once they are worn out, I will likely stick to all seasons specifically to save on cost.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Thanks for all your replys. I did hold on to the stock summer tires.
There may be another issue to deal with. I took The ST on the highway today and noticed a 'thumping' sound from the rear once driving 40 mph, and louder w/ speed and some vibration. possible bearring? :S
Probably not balanced properly.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
So of course dedicated winter tires will give you the best grip in the snow.

However, I'm not sure I agree with the prior statement about how switching between winter and summer tires will save you money in the long run. Winter tires have no treadwear rating. I've never actually run winter tires so I can't speak to how much mileage people get out of them, but I have read that they wear out pretty quickly if you don't take them off as soon as the temperature starts to rise in the spring due to the softer rubber compound. Also, the summer tires have a fairly low treadwear rating. You'll likely only get somewhere around half the mileage on the summer tires that you will get on all seasons, depending on the specific tires selected. So it seems clear to me that from a cost standpoint, you will definitely be spending more money on tires with a winter / summer tire setup than an all season only tire setup. I do plan on running my summer tires next year, but once they are worn out, I will likely stick to all seasons specifically to save on cost.
I typically get 4-5 seasons out of my snow tires. For me that means four months a year on snows.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
118 Posts
I run snows on all my cars that go out in winter, and generally get three-four seasons of wear using about 4,000 miles per year in colder temps. Of course, if you don't need to go out on the really bad days, you can probably get by with all-seasons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The question is, do you want to mess up your brand new car because you were being a cheap ass?

The only problem is that my snows roast off through 2nd haha. Will probably last me one season at this rate!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The question is, do you want to mess up your brand new car because you were being a cheap ass?

The only problem is that my snows roast off through 2nd haha. Will probably last me one season at this rate!
Yes, I'm being cheap! I'll take that as a compliment.

Just doing the mileage math, that's 16000 miles for the snows plus 25000 for the summer tires for a total of roughly 41000 miles for two sets of tires. I plan on getting between 40000 to 45000 miles on one set of all seasons. There's nothing wrong with a snow/summer tire setup and your getting the best grip for the road condition of each season, but its definitely more expensive.

As an aside I believe I saw somewhere that you are in Worcester. I went to college in Worcester. Bartonian...are you Armenian by any chance?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I dunno call me crazy, but if I have summer only tires already, what's the point of getting all seasons? I mean just get winters for winter and summer for everything else ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts