Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed that my engine bay gets dirty very quickly, but it wasnt until i looked up that i saw the problem.
Shouldnt there be some kind of soft rubber seal that runs the front width of the hood?
I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there, but it makes sense and looks like there are some holes for those plastic clips.

Here is a photo of the GF's Mazda3 by comparison:
(which awesomely has 2)

So does anyone else notice if they have one or not?
If so, would anyone know the part number, or even name?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here, this photo looks like crap,(even after editing) thats why i didnt post it earlier.

Anyway,
This is my hood. and the spots that look made for those clips:

Believe it or not, this is the best for 3 pix.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There isn't a seal or weathstrip on mine either. The underside of my hood looks a lot like yours with some nice dirt spots in front of the insulation pad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Interesting to learn that we dont seem to have it.

I wonder if any of the other models have this stripping.
Or if it would even fit; the hoods all look similar, but that might just be Ford.com

I'm not very lucky, so even with the hood gap mostly gone(Screw-Bumper adjusted) the bay still gets pretty splotchy.

(If i learn anything about this, i'll post it.)

·
Registered
862 Posts
My engine bay gets very dirty as well. This is one piece of trim I really wish the car had. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can someone post the Ford part number for the seal?

I removed my hood insulation for the winter, it was becoming a salt sponge.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'd love some weatherstripping of some kind. I don't have an obnoxious hood gap and have lowered the rubber stoppers as far as they'll go. I was considering drilling holes in the hood latch mechanism to drop the hood a little more after I failed to find a way to raise the catch bar into the hood more with washers or something like that. Here's a pic of the hood in white with the black insulation (and no weatherstripping) and one of the dirt after less than 1,000 mi.

I may have to work some someone more skilled than me to do some custom weatherstripping...can't keep getting filth into the engine bay like this.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Mine doesn't have one. The Fiesta does. If you look there is a plastic ridge along the bottom. I'm guessing its supposed to create a seal against the insulation. Mine has stayed reasonably clean.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wouldn't go messing with it. I'm fairly certain that there is a reason the hood gap is there and no rubber seal. Ford isn't dumb or trying to scrounge up some extra money by deleting a seal and keeping the hood gap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts