Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, am I the only one on here who HATES black wheels? I don't see the appeal to putting something so dull on such a nice car. In fact I've yet to see a single car that I've liked with black wheels. And bronze? Really? How can that be a good look? Haven't seen a single photoshop job with wheels that top the stock ones, which is so rare to see because most stock wheels are not appealing but these "Lambo" style rims look awesome on this car. I'm not hating on anyone's style or preferences but just seems to me that wheels make or break a car. Part of what makes customization great is that we all have vastly different opinions on certain things but yet we're all here on this site learning about and obsessing over this sweet ride! Was just curious if I'm in the minority on this. I'm 31 and have a huge appreciation for muscle cars and stylish cars in general but just can't seem to get into the black wheel craze. Makes it look like a test car or something that's not finished.

·
Registered
246 Posts
to me it depends on the color of the car. i dont like black w/black wheels but black wheels look good on other color cars. specifically white cars

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I was thinking of getting the spokes painted a metallic black, leaving the rest of the wheel the stock color, and having the calipers painted red.
I used to dislike black wheels as well, thinking they looked "cheap". But, after seeing some tastefully done black wheels (especially with a black car) I really like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think a dark bronze can look really nice in the right circumstances. I prefer a dark matte greyish color over straight glossy black, to me it blends the wheels to much with the tires and the whole thing looks like a big mess.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think it all depends on the car and the rims. Black rims should contrast very nicely on the ST with the black trim and some decent tint. Think I'm going to go with the legal limit of 35% tint but darker would make it look even better. Also like black rims on some red cars, but depends on the model and rims.

White rims are the opposite in my opinion. I only like white rims on a show car, not for practical or a car you want to see on the road.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was thinking of getting the spokes painted a metallic black, leaving the rest of the wheel the stock color, and having the calipers painted red.
I used to dislike black wheels as well, thinking they looked "cheap". But, after seeing some tastefully done black wheels (especially with a black car) I really like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I left the spokes black and polished the lips of the rims on my GSXR 6.17 006.jpg

·
Registered
753 Posts
I like black rims on white cars and that's about it. White with some red accents with black rims and also red calipers I think looks good. My for PB I don't plan on getting back rims. I'll probably look to get the same kind of wheels they use for the ST-R and they will be my winter rims. I'm a big fan of anthracite :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I think black wheels look good on a white car and maybe yellow, but for my PB ST3 I ordered high power silver pro race 1.2. I really do not like black wheels on a blue car. However, a silver wheel with black or anthracite accents looks very nice. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and a variety of tastes makes things more interesting.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I plan on plasti dipping my wheels black, but I'm hitting it with the glossifier too. I probably wont go wet shine but a good sheen. Matte black does look test carish like hockeypucks said. But I think if you get the right amount of clear coat it can blended nicely into the rest of the car. I also plan on doing red calipers to go along with the :ST: badging. And ... doing 75% tint as well. :p

Reactions: Dingra

·
Registered
253 Posts
Black wheels have grown on me actually. Maybe not gloss black, but darker colors in general. I think it's because I've always run brake pads are pretty dusty and so no matter what color the wheels are when clean, they're some dark gray color by the end of a few days (at least the front wheels are). So I've been gravitating toward darker wheels over the years.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This is picture is a good example of how the black wheels disappear. Even the dark ST wheels are getting lost. Now on a black car the monochromatic look makes sense. I was considering getting my wheels darkened but after seeing this I may just keep them stock.

7987f0a3.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
In the case of Team Dynamics, their most popular color in the Pro Race line is matte black. While it is certainly true many of those wheels will hit the track, many are also street wheels. IMO matte black is an aggressive color. It works with any car color, but like anything else, it may or may not be your taste.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the wheels should draw attention to the car, not blend into like one big tire or something. Plus I think most dark wheels look lousy when in motion. I've seen 3 ST's here in Michigan and they all looked phenomenal while moving so I'd never want to darken my wheels. It's very interesting hearing and seeing all these different opinions/pics because it really shows how great it is to be diverse in our rides!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I plan on plasti dipping my wheels black, but I'm hitting it with the glossifier too. I probably wont go wet shine but a good sheen. Matte black does look test carish like hockeypucks said. But I think if you get the right amount of clear coat it can blended nicely into the rest of the car. I also plan on doing red calipers to go along with the :ST: badging. And ... doing 75% tint as well. :p
Wow 75% tint eh? Pretty dark but sweet. I'm torn between red or yellow calipers with my white ST3...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Actually I found out the guy I go to does it at 80%. My goal is to look like some black amorphic object with 4 wheels of badassery. If only I could tune the fuel mapping for more anti lag off throttle so it can spit fire :LOL:

·
Registered
742 Posts
As Ken Bury's pic demonstrates, at anything more than a few feet away, evenin the brightest of light, black wheels essentially have no presence or definition, making them annonymous and uninteresting. And the giant round voids they create in combination with the tires typically upsets the visual balance of a car. There are exceptions, but they are very few and far between, and you're probably wrong if you think you have one of those exceptions.

As for bronze wheels, it depends on the shade and color combination. Sometimes it should err towards being properly gold instead IMHO.

As for the stock wheels, I'm. fan, but I do find silver wheels often come across a bit dull, especially on white cars, in which case I think painting them bronze-ish could be tasty. At least that's my plan.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Actually the lower the number the darker the tint is. I.E. 5% tint lets in 5% of the available light.
Well if that's the case then it will be 20% tint. Tomato Tomato.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree that the black wheels do not look good. They usually look "dirty" or not fitting to the rest of the car. But I'm old and set in my ways...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had black wheels on my white VW R32 and i loved them for the first 4 months but then grew tired of them. You lose all the detail on the wheels from anything further than 3 foot back. I wont be putting black wheels on a car again, i can appreciate them on others cars but they just arent for me anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts