Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I posted in another thread, I made it to the Barrett Jackson event in Orange County CA.

The ride was a blast and I cannot wait for this car. I got to go twice! (was going to go again, but they had already closed up the ST section when I came around again (the drivers had another something or other to go to) and I couldn't believe how well this thing corners. The all leather Recaros where beyond comfortable. They were narrow but were not slippery. If they had let me, I could have taken a nap in the passenger seat no problem.
The exuast sound both inside and outside the car was nice. The track was really too short to say if it was too quiet inside the cabin, but I really enjoyed listening to it while I was waiting my turn.
Headroom with the sunroof maybe a little snug for some taller folk with helmets on track days. However, if you are tall, are considering the sunroof and will be taking your ST for track days, I highly recommended testing it out first. We could not adjust the seats in the preview car, so depending on the seating position that is comfortable for you, this could change.
The tangerine scream in person is absolutely gorgeous! If I weren't paranoid about attracting the wrong type of attention, I would certainly seriously consider changing from white to TS. Even my dad, who is not a fan of loud colors love it.
Sadly (and I am SO sorry!!) I did not get a reading on the GForce app that I had. I didn't know, but when I closed the app, it did not save the info. Like I said, I went back to get another reading but they were done with the hot laps.
And I posted the following in the other thread (just copied and pasted here for those who haven't seen it):
I rode with a guy who shot a commercial for the ST (ST vs. WRX). He said the WRX is faster off the line but the Focus (after launch) gets the inside line of the WRXs tightest donut. It can slip right in and hold the line inside the WRX like a champ. They actually blew a front tire in the WRX in the process. So look out for an awesome commercial! (I don't know when it will be out...forgot to ask)

Right here are pictures, video is at the bottom. Some of these aren't so fantastic. (cell phone pics)

This is my dad sitting in the drivers seat. He is about 6' it's hard to tell, but I would say he has roughly 3" of space.

videos:

This is me attempting to hold the phone steady as the driver whips around the track. He was really pushing it here...these guys must really love their jobs!!

Overall, this car is exactly everything I had hoped it would be and Sept cannot come soon enough!

Edit: almost forgot, they had a matte black '12 focus as well. Pretty nice!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I hope they kinda give you an idea of what the ST would look like. :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Great pictures. I still sort of want the Orange, but I feel like I'd get sick of it... Blue is interesting enough for me :). But if TS wasn't $500, I'd definitely be on the verge of changing my decision.

I'll just trust EVO on this:
The ‘performance blue’ paint familiar from previous fast Fords is definitely the colour to go for.
Just a short month until I drive one (hopefully they have a blue one to see..)!

·
Registered
685 Posts
The pictures do not do that matte black ST justice. If Ford offered that color scheme, it would move some people away from other cars just on looks alone.

I recommend the Barrett auctions as an event in general. Besides the ST (which was the only reason my wife and I went) we played "Price Is Right" on the auctions. There were some awesome bargains today. If you want a non-practical 60s-70s muscle car (Chevelles, GTOs, Buick GSX/S) to drive around, there were some deals. If you wanted a $10,000 show quality car, there were some deals. OTOH, a crappy classic MINI went for nearly $30K (they were cheap, crap cars in their day, a go-cart with a body).

Back to the ST. The only car I've seen that had close to that quality of leather interior, was a Golf-R. I swear that the ST is nicer. Those seats are A-Mazing.

I also like the absurd plethora of steering wheel controls. An auto with flappy paddles would truly push it over the top.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The pictures do not do that matte black ST justice. If Ford offered that color scheme, it would move some people away from other cars just on looks alone.

I recommend the Barrett auctions as an event in general. Besides the ST (which was the only reason my wife and I went) we played "Price Is Right" on the auctions. There were some awesome bargains today. If you want a non-practical 60s-70s muscle car (Chevelles, GTOs, Buick GSX/S) to drive around, there were some deals. If you wanted a $10,000 show quality car, there were some deals. OTOH, a crappy classic MINI went for nearly $30K (they were cheap, crap cars in their day, a go-cart with a body).

Back to the ST. The only car I've seen that had close to that quality of leather interior, was a Golf-R. I swear that the ST is nicer. Those seats are A-Mazing.

I also like the absurd plethora of steering wheel controls. An auto with flappy paddles would truly push it over the top.
I honestly think the wheel is quite modest, just the right amount of buttons. How do you think the ST2 seats will compare, did you see one (or were they all ST3s?).

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frankenbike - We probably just missed each other. Are you talking about the slammed blue mini? I wanted it. Actually, I wanted just about everycar that was there. Did you see how much the orange Thing went for? Damn!

Overall it was a great day. I also got to take a ride for a hot lap in a corvette with the Bondurant guys. Holy! :D :D

Jackamic - there were not any ST2s there, unfortunately.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couple more pics:

And I'm happy to say that the location of the shifter, for me, was comfortable. However, I wouldn't plan on using the cup holder closest to you in the ST3. I was going through the gears and had my cup in that particular spot and kept hitting it with the side of my arm.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think the car I would have wanted was the Buick GSX or S with a 442 I think. Went for around $9K I think :)

My wife and I laughed inappropriately when an 82 'Vette was up for sale and the auctioneer said "TWO HUNDRED HORSEPOWER!" :)

Also have the same problem with my current car and it's cupholder. You kind of teach yourself a bent wrist shift when you have a Big Gulp in one of those :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I thought the ST3 was getting a unique Recaro rear bench. Pre-production?
I had mentioned this on in another thread. Don't hold your breath. Euro models get the different bench with the lower head rests. I think that picture is an accurate representation to what we are getting cuz it looks just like my Titanium rear seat with ST badges. Regulations over here preclude the low head rests I believe. I hope in wrong though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had mentioned this on in another thread. Don't hold your breath. Euro models get the different bench with the lower head rests. I think that picture is an accurate representation to what we are getting cuz it looks just like my Titanium rear seat with ST badges. Regulations over here preclude the low head rests I believe. I hope in wrong though.
LISAA!! These global cars aren't all identical! LOL

Reactions: Americarsftw

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Perhaps ElNorte can give us a definate answer on this? I actually didn't even think about checking to see what the hot lap car was like on the inside, let alone the back seats. The show car is the one that had the mustang shifter.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I think the ST3 rear seat is the only one with a fold down arm rest and two cupholders. It did have that.

You are correct. Only ST3 has rear armrest.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts