Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My name is Mack and I'm new here. 25 year old guy, live in NC blah blah.

I am currently driving a 2008 Mazda6i 5spd but have grown bored with it a lot quicker than I thought I would :(. My original plan was to wait until Mazda redesigned the 3 and put a diesel in the hatchback (or until Alfa brings their lineup over here) but after test driving a 2012 Focus se with the sport package, my interest was piqued. I also work for Duke, which allows me to purchase any Ford with the Xplan. Thus, I have arrived at the idea that the Focus ST is a good choice for me :).

Now I will lump myself into the category of people who want diesels without having actually ever owned one. I just can't help it. I like the idea of low RPM torque and excellent fuel economy. That said, the ST is a compelling package. I do have some concerns over long term reliability.

Now, my main problem right now is choosing a trim level. I have to admit that I hate the display of standard focus. It already looks dated to me, not to mention that it's overly complicated. This is what's offered on the ST1, correct? I didn't mind the sport package seats, although they do seem like a significant downgrade from the Recaros. My main reason for avoiding the ST2 is MFT. I have heard too many horror stories, and I know having the system constantly messing upon me would drive me INSANE.

All of this is basically a long winded way of asking if there is anyone else out there planning on the ST1, and if so, are you satisfied? Thanks!

-Mack

·
Registered
139 Posts
MFT has come a long way and is pretty good now. Between the full leather seats, HID's and a few other bells and whistles the ST3 was a no brainer for me. IMO it doesn't make sense to spend all that money on a new car and get the base model. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the ST1 came with some form of Recaro seat I would think it would be worth saving the 2 grand because all the other toys that come with the ST2 are nice but pretty unnecessary. I haven't sat in the regular focus seats the ST1 comes with but I feel pretty confident in saying you want the Recaros if you are buying this car.

As far as MFT goes it is the one part of this car I haven't done any research on. I have heard about how horrible it was when it first came out but the newest update for it seems to have alleviated a lot of the complaints about it. I don't really know much about the system so I was assuming it was something I could just stop using if it sucked, which may not be the solution of choice for everyone but I am flexible with shit like that. If I need to use it to use my Ipod with the stereo and it is still crappy then I will have an issue with it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Personally I like MFT and its one reason I'm going Ford vs VW this time. Sync is another and that's on the 1.

So for me ST2 for Recaro, upgraded audio, and the climate control.

VW also dropped the climate control from the GTI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a 12 Focus SEL and find the seats to be extremely comfortable and supportive so paying extra for a seat just to get the word Reccaro stitched onto doesn't make sense. I also only have the basic Sync system and after 15k miles the only feature I use is the hands free phone calling and occasionally stream audio via blue tooth so I won't be renewing Sync services when it expires. The only SEL feature I have really liked is dual zone heat;y wife can adjust the heat to what ever without bothering me but I won't pay $4k for it since its only available with ST3.

So i will only consider ST1.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I agree the regular focus seats are great. The recaro seats are different and honestly not necessarily for everyone. Some people don't like being snug. But for those of us who do they are worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
547 Posts
Speaking first hand the ST3 is worth every penny! If it's within your budget, that is! HID's w/LED brows, cool entry lights, mood lighting, Navi, and heated leather Recaro's. You will like any choice you make, honestly... I know for a fact I will have buyers remorse if I don't get all the bells and whistles. I think resale would be better as well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I want the ST3 and the thing I could care less about is the HIDs (I've never owned a car with HIDs so I don't know what I'm missing.) I want it for all the other nice touches like the heated seats, power seat, ambient lighting, maybe the NAV but I haven't found another gps better than Google on my Android phone.) I think the price difference between ST2 and ST3 is worth it even without HIDs.

I'm still considering the ST2 and this Saturday I'll figure it all out at the Performance Academy. The 2-Tone seating used to be a selling point for me but the big issue for me is how are they going to hold up in terms of fading, staining, and is their presentation tacky and cheap in person.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Re the controls, they are not that complicated. I learned them in a week.

MFT 3.0 is much improved, enough that I can't imagine living without it.

On the go - Via TapTalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
ST1 here. I do not care for all the gadgets one. Two is my current car is going to start needing money to be thrown into it so it is about time to trade in and I do not want to spend the extra money on ST2 or3, nor do I have the extra money, so the 1 will do for me at this stage in my life.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've played around with the new MFT and I was honestly impressed with the functionality. I'm excited about having it in the ST (I've preordered an ST2). I also don't care too much for Navi, as an android phone has been plenty good enough in my travels.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I pre-ordered the ST2, but I think you'll be perfectly happy with the ST1--you just have to decide what's important to you. I've been looking to buy a hot hatch for the last year now, and regardless of the car I purchased there were four things I had to have:

(1) A nice sound system: It is rare for me to drive around without music going, and none of my cars have ever had a nice sound system. I'm really excited about this 10 speaker Sony system (with a subwoofer!) as well as the HD radio and satellite radio. I've also heard that Ford has made vast improvements on the MFT and SYNC features, so I'm pretty stoked about these as well.

(2) A moon roof: Never had one of these either, and being a South Carolina resident I can pretty much leave it open year round!

(3) A manual transmission: I know how to drive one fairly well, but I've never owned a car with one. I love how a manual transmission engages you and makes you feel like you're part of the car, and I can't wait to become more proficient at it. It was convenient that this was the only option!

(4) Nice comfy seats: I was excited to see the Recaros as an option. I'm also a big fan of the partial leather seats--full leather has never been very important to me. I think the ST2 seats with the smoke storm inserts look classy but youthful; they'll make me feel like I'm driving something special (not that the ST1 or ST3 seats wouldn't). And living in the south, I don't want my butt to get fried every time I get in my car during the summer, so the cloth inserts are nice in that respect.

So based on what was important to me, the ST2 with a moon roof was everything and more. It was a few grand above what I was comfortable paying for a car, but I have absolutely no regrets. And I just got my tracking number email yesterday...one step closer!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Im going ST1 because I didnt want to spend money on stuff I was going to replace anyway (MFT and the sony sound system). Dont get me wrong I LOVE the ST2 recaro's but, I'm going with ST1 and gutting the sound system and probably going to get a decent set of racing seats for less than $800. :LOL:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hate leather so ST1 for me. I am not concerned about the Sound system myself, my interest is the Engine, external style and everyday driving comfort. I am just glad they didn't gut the ST1 model like alot of other manf/models do with the middle/low end versions.

Besides the seats, stereo, MFT and HID's. What are the small differences?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Dual Zone Climate Control is in the ST2 and ST3.

I hate leather so ST1 for me. I am not concerned about the Sound system myself, my interest is the Engine, external style and everyday driving comfort. I am just glad they didn't gut the ST1 model like alot of other manf/models do with the middle/low end versions.

·
Registered
547 Posts

I sat in one tonight. Not for me, but I think you will like it a lot for all the reasons you listed. Great value IMO.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts