Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine has rattles all over the place. I don't know if it's not been assembled properly or not installed properly.

But it's making me crazy because the car's really quiet except for what sounds like a tin can full of screws in five places in the headliner.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It sounds like you have it pretty bad, but I must ask. Do you have a moonroof and if so are are you fully opening and closing the sunshade? JT mentioned that the shade rattles pretty badly if not fully opened/closed, and another member agreed. If no moonroof, maybe the dealer can check it. I don't have the moonroof and my headliner doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I mentioned in one of the other threads that my car also has a similar issue. Does it with the shade open, closed, or anywhere between and holding or pushing on the sun shade itself doesn't make any difference. Mine seems to be coming from above the front seat headrest area just behind the sunroof, more to the passenger side and goes away if I push up or pull down on the headliner.

Right now I've got a wadded up plastic grocery store bag wedged between the rear edge of the sunroof opening and headliner which has stopped it. Not sure if I'll let the dealer take a go at it or try to fix it myself. If I were to guess and had to describe the sound I'd say it comes across as a loose wire or wiring harness for the overhead lights or possibly something like a sunroof drain channel tube bouncing around between the roof and headliner.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had mine replaced because it kept falling down near the hatch:

IMAG0698_BURST002_COVER.jpg

It was replaced under warranty an appears to be normal now. I didn't hear any rattles, nor do I hear them now.

FYI did you know the ST3 headliner retails for over $1000?

Headliner
4 Door Sedan ; Power Tilt/Slide Sun Roof; Marble
$1,053.42

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Our focus se has the same moonroof as well but no rattle so im not exactly sure either where the problem lies on the ST. Most of the time its the shade for me and it wont stay back but no rattle with it fully closed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone. This may not apply to those who are having the headliner issue, but I had a very similar sound that appeared to be coming from the headliner. It turns out that it was from my passenger seat. It was too far up, so the left bolster was hitting the center console area creating a really annoying sound. It seems like this was an afterthought with the designers, because they made the center console too wide for the passenger seat to be forward. I may try some felt tape to see if that helps. I hope this has helped. Let me know if it has.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Headliners are touchy. Unless you have a real bad problem I'd recommend just leaving it as the dealer can mess it up more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have Hearst he wires inside are loose and rattle and that is what people hear but I agree messing with headliners can get worse fast.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That's one of the reasons why if mine were still making noise I'd more than likely take it apart myself. Too many chances for a technician to pull trim panels and pieces apart incorrectly, break clips, etc. trying to fix it quickly given the measly amount warranty would pay. Speaking of my headliner rattle I posted about a couple months back earlier in this thread, it has decided to go away on its own. But not to worry, my car immediately replaced it with a couple rattles from the center speak/dash gauge pod assembly and the center stack trim around the MyFord Touch.

Thanks car. :LOL:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I haven't had my headliner replaced, but I did have a local guy who specializes in paintless dent removal take out as many of 500 hail strikes as ehe could over a week. There were a few places in the A pillar he couldn't get to but overall the repair looks great! I got various estimates, but the body shops were saying they would have to do some traditional body work with paint. I have Tangerine Scream, so I had as much PDR as possible. Looks great. No rattles or noise. Paid off car with the extra insurance money. And yes he had to remove and replace the headliner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My entire headliner just dropped on my head last night while driving. When I reached inside, I felt VELCRO. Yes, they use VELCRO to hold up the headliner. WTF FORD?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine replaced because it kept falling down near the hatch:

View attachment 9622

It was replaced under warranty an appears to be normal now. I didn't hear any rattles, nor do I hear them now.

FYI did you know the ST3 headliner retails for over $1000?

Headliner
4 Door Sedan ; Power Tilt/Slide Sun Roof; Marble
$1,053.42
did you had or notice any issues lining up the plastics back again?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts