Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Unless I'm really out of the loop, I don't know of any manufacturers that do this from the factory.

It helps with pressure stability under variable temperature fluctuations, for sure. Little variation with ambient/road temps.

What benefit are you looking for, specifically?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Perhaps the biggest advantage of using nitrogen, and it's really not that big, is less moisture in your tires. You will probably find wide variation in opinion on this subject. I think this write up at Tire Rack is pretty good...

Tire Tech Information - Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Don't forget, regular "air" is composed of about 78% nitrogen.

Reactions: ATX Eric

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless I'm really out of the loop, I don't know of any manufacturers that do this from the factory.

It helps with pressure stability under variable temperature fluctuations, for sure. Little variation with ambient/road temps.

What benefit are you looking for, specifically?
My dad's F150 with Ecoboost came with Nitrogen filled tires from the dealership, and I noticed a lot of other trucks had the green caps on the lot too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Note he said came from the dealer with nitrogen filled tires, this is something dealers do. They will take new unsold vehicles that are on the lot and do things like fill the tires with nitrogen and raise the price of the vehicle by ~$30 and make a little extra profit. Some will also tint windows in cars, and add other small tid bits all to raise the profit margin more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Note he said came from the dealer with nitrogen filled tires, this is something dealers do. They will take new unsold vehicles that are on the lot and do things like fill the tires with nitrogen and raise the price of the vehicle by ~$30 and make a little extra profit. Some will also tint windows in cars, and add other small tid bits all to raise the profit margin more.
I was wondering if there would be a charge from the dealer everytime I needed air....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Since pure nitrogen sources are currently rare in most locations, some dealers will offer nitrogen fills for free or a small one-time fee. They will make all sorts of outrageous benefit claims to using nitrogen, with the hope you will be convinced to come back to their dealership every month to get your tire pressure checked, and hopefully pick up something else "while you are there". Of course, there are some real benefits to using pure nitrogen, but usually not anywhere near the benefits the dealership talks up. My suggestion is use pure nitrogen if they offer it for free (or less than $5 lifetime), otherwise pass. There are a few other places that offer free nitrogen tire service. It may vary by location, but some Tire Racks (and some other tire stores) offer free nitrogen service. Again, they offer this service with the hope that you stopping by so frequently will lead to future sales. If you are a Costco member, I believe they also do free nitrogen.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I tried nitrogen when my dealer offered it cheap. However I like to be able to just top of my tires at home..... So I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
My Titanium came with nitrogen (I'm sure dealership did it) and the biggest advantage I see is the lack of fluctuations in tire pressure due to temp changes. Stays pretty consistent no matter the temps.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm putting helium in my tires to make the car lighter. Everyone knows that everything else being equal, a lighter car is faster and handles better. :TotalSeriousSmilie:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think the only car that comes with nitrogen from the factory is the GT-R could be wrong though.

I've had nitrogen in my tires and I can say the pressure do not fluctuate as much can not say much else, and even though I can put nitrogen in when ever I want at my dealer I still use air. It is too much of a pain if you have to add air then you have to hook back up to the machine and let it do its cycle. I would keep it in if i didn't like to play with my tire pressures a lot and cause its free but that's it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts