Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know this car was even being made till a couple days ago, since I am buying a new vehicle in octoberish time frame, I hope there is some good reviews between these 2 vehicles. I am kinda skeptical about 1.6l engine, but I like how the car looks and how light it is. I think the interior for the st looks better. Jw if anyone is on the edge between this car and that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was thinking about it. The standard kit is pretty nice, and I actually really like the regular one. However, they aren't doing anything to the suspension. So you get the standard beam-axle rear end which is archaic compared to the ST. However, it should be quite a bit cheaper, most likely around ST1 prices for a fully optioned out version.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
The quality of the interior is not on par with the Focus

Weried third door.

No rear headroom.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The quality of the interior is not on par with the Focus

Weried third door.

No rear headroom.
I was comparing it to my GF's Forte Koup, and it had better rear headroom than her car. The third door was actually fairly practical and egress was pretty easy.

You are right on the interior though, however I would say its at least on par to a base Focus.

·
Registered
495 Posts
the veloster will not handle anywhere near what the ST will. The ST is a proper platform for attacking corners. Outside of going straight the veloster has a ton of understeer, body roll, and the EPS does not endear much confidence :(

·
Registered
547 Posts
Dynamically, two very different cars:

Veloster Turbo - Based on the $12k Accent platform, with torsion beam rear suspension and other shared bits. Developed quickly after the market said the "eco-sport" car was lacking power. Not sure if you have ever driven a NA Veloster but the steering, clutch, and overall driver engagement do not feel like a sports car IMO. However, the features for the price are excellent, like all Hyundai's.

Focus ST - Built on a highly regarded platform + 2 years of development/tuning. Developed to be Ford's first global sports car.

The ST is a proper sports car, the VT is an economy car with some "sport" flavor.

Reactions: pavl

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pretty much locked in on this.

I have been telling dealers I won't hesitate to go buy a GTI but I am lying my ass off.
Ha ha, that is what I'm doing also.

I quite like the GTI, far better car than the Veloster Turbo, but I actually like the looks of that Hyundai and I'm sure it will be a fun little car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked at the veloster turbo for the first time after reading this thread. Wow I'm really happy with the focus st now-way to go ford! That rear of the veloster is just awful and the recaro's on the st definitely look better than the veloster's sport seats. Then there's that 250 vs 200 hp thing. Admittedly the st will cost more but I would (and will) take the st in a heartbeat. It will be interesting to see how the dodge dart srt4 will fare against the st.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think the Veloster Turbo would probably compete more with a Fiesta ST and not the Focus ST
Though, since Hyundai is leaving everything but the motor alone, I don't think the true enthusiast will see it as much competition.

I'm one of the few that actually really likes the look and the concept of the Veloster.
Too bad Hyundai couldn't execute it a bit better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If your a straight line guy, the Veloster might be a good bet for you, but once you hit the bends (as pointed out here) you will realize that you are in a budget car with a turbo. If you can stand the interior, and your a long commuter that doesn't care about handling and just wants to floor it on the on-ramps, then jump on the veloster for the price and [probably] better gas mileage. If you care about the way the car feels, love a bitchin' interior, and don't want to have to wear a mask in public, get the ST.

·
4,009 Posts
^ :LOL: A Mask!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think vt will be a good auto crosserwith some suspension mods, still st lies on the top of my list so far

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think vt will be a good auto crosserwith some suspension mods, still st lies on the top of my list so far
And how did you arise at this conclusion? Its factory setup will understeer like its not supposed to turn and the turbo will just make it torque steer even worse.

·
4,009 Posts
Funny, I saw one on the way home and from a design point it looked like someone sat on the rear hatch. Too squat and odd looking IMO. I co cur that based on the platform it will drive like a pig. You can throw all sorts of money at it and it would still be a pig, a pig with lipstick, but still a pig.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts