Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that the new Focus ST will have a turning circle of 39.4 ft.
Seems like a bit too big for the car of this size (may be due to bigger tires and suspension), making U-turns and tight parkings harder.

For comparison sake, here's the turning diameters for some other cars:
2012 VW GTI: 35.8 ft
2012 Mazda Speed3 : 36.1 ft
2012 Subaru WRX: 34.8 ft
2013 Ford Focus (titanium): 36 ft
2013 Ford Mustang V6: 33.4 ft
2012 Chevrolet Camero: 37.7 ft
2012 Honda CRV: 37 ft
2013 Ford Explorer: 39.2 ft
2013 Ford Edge: 39.3 ft
2012 Nissan Maxima: 37.4 ft
2012 VW Toureg: 39 ft
2012 Buick Enclave: 40.4 ft
2012 Ford F-150 (regular cab): 41.7 ft

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Kinda used to wide turning with my SVT.
it will be a bitch point for some.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I didn't think it was bad while I was driving it yesterday, can't be an worse than my Mustang, turning radius on that thing is crap. I watched this video months ago, go to 1:20 in the video. According to this it wouldn't be a problem. But this is all I have to go on until I get to drive the thing around normally and not on the track.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
It is partly attributed to the larger wheels. My Titanium had a huge turning radius too. I've not noticed it being a problem as of yet. Nothing like our old Saab 9000. Needed to do K turns with that thing when even a pick up truck could manage a U turn in the same spot.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's an annoyance I'll have to live with. But it's larger than my Trans Am, which is around 2 feet longer in overall dimensions. And the turning radius in the TA really does annoy me. I would have rather seen them widen the wheel wells another 6" overall and widen the axles or offset to keep the turning radius the same as a base Focus.

But it's the only negative I've really seen to the car. Given all the other things the ST is good at, I can live with the K-turns.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yup. Its due to the wheels. Ti's with the handling package (same wheel/tire size as ST) have steering limiters in the rack. A regular focus has a much tighter turning radius. Its the price we pay to have the meats on our rides. Im use to it now. Its a PITA sometimes especially if oncoming traffic is coming and you're pulling a 3-point.....

·
Registered
617 Posts
LMAO. Luckily the streets and roads around here in aren't very tight. It is kinda embarrassing sometimes to need a 3-4 point turn when trying to do a U-turn at a light and avoid curb rash. I'm sure people are thinking, "that's a little compact Focus, why's he doing that?"

·
Registered
908 Posts
Anyone ever needed to do a Michigan left turn? (Turn right, do a u-turn in the u-turn lane which will occasionally have it's own light)

They suck.

Luckily there is more than enough space on those for the ST. :p

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Only while in Michigan.

On the go - Via TapTalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
Did you ever watch the new Knight Rider? It was *terrible* but sometimes I just wish it was still on...
Haha, Hell No! Cant have a Knight Rider without the "Hoff". Would be like remaking Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford. I generally don't like the remakes. :cool:

·
Registered
753 Posts
I was checking the turning radius of older Foci and the older ones have a radius of 17.1 ft compared to the 18.0 ft of the ST so there isn't a huge difference. I doubt I'll even notice the difference honestly. My Mustang has a turn radius of 20.4 ft which I do sometimes find annoying compared to the 17.1 on my Focus but for the most part it's negligible. The 2012 Miata for example has a radius of 15.4 ft but it's a much smaller car than the Focus. The 2012 Fiesta has a turning radius of 17.2 ft so I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts