1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
862 Posts
Definitely enough CPU, but is 2GB of DDR3 going to be enough? Assuming the HD's are 7200 rpm, what model poweredge are we talking? My office has a few 2950's and they are fantastic. The raid10 really helps too. Hope everything works out for you!

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only time will tell. Its a VPS, so upping the ram is just a few clicks and more $$$. I do not know what kind of PowerEdge. But my university has similar virtual hosts/servers and it seems to work our great. Saves a lot of space in the racks.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Sure hope we don't have down time that coincides with members getting their Vin #

·
Registered
862 Posts
Whatever happens, happens. Good Luck Chad. You and the other owners have done a great job so far. Being virtual will help, and the raid makes it super easy to allocate space or add more as needed. The poweredges are great servers. My office has a few R series as well (r210, r410), great machines.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
So... Does this mean we'll get chat back on the front page? :D

Good luck Chad! If there's anything I can do to make the transition more seamless, let me know

·
Registered
753 Posts
If its a Linux based host I would think 2gb of ram would be enough, big thing with website hosting is drive speed, and I'm guessing the drives are SAS drives and in a raid10 they should have no problem handling the load. But there are still a lot of other variables that factor into it. Good luck Chad and hopefully the site isn't down too long :)

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update for all.

The files are transferred and the data base is over there. So the change will happen within days from now. I will try to let you know exactly when we will be transitioning.

Chad

Reactions: oaxa

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Just an update for all.

The files are transferred and the data base is over there. So the change will happen within days from now. I will try to let you know exactly when we will be transitioning.

Chad
Chad, you rock!

·
Registered
93 Posts
A minor suggestion - if you have an IP for the new server, perhaps post that publicly so we can still access it while DNS is populating?

Disclaimer: I am not a networking tech, engineer, or anything of the sort. I just fix easy problems from time to time.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Thanks for the above timetable

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chad, you rock!
Thanks

A minor suggestion - if you have an IP for the new server, perhaps post that publicly so we can still access it while DNS is populating?

Disclaimer: I am not a networking tech, engineer, or anything of the sort. I just fix easy problems from time to time.
I think once I get everything sync, I can do this for sure.

Thanks for the above timetable
No Problem, as I was looking over things this afternoon, it looks as if that the timetable will be pushed off one day.

Will all of the posts extant transfer or will we be starting over?
Scott,

The goal is to be using the new servers mySQL connection to add/change/delete records before I change the DNS and NS. So there should be no loss at all. I won't know this until later tonight, when I actually try to add a remote connect for the site to use.

As a note, it seems that we may have to wait one more day to "start" moving over. The migration team at the new host does not have things setup correctly yet. Once I confirm that, and the site works on the dedicated IP we can start the last phase in the migration.

Chad

p.s. man I cannot wait for this, just trying to submit this message I had to reload it.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK

So, if my calculations are correct we are now using my new hosting database. So those nasty Database Errors should be gone now.

What this means is, when we do finally push over, the posts will be exactly the same as if we were on this host.

:) :thumb: This is good news folks.

Oh, and one more thing, this will not be the fastest until we are actually pointed to the new hosts files. Please be patient!

Reactions: oaxa
1 - 20 of 28 Posts