Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not and I am not going to preorder, simply due to the fact that I haven't the money yet. Is this to my disadvantage? I'm going to pay cash btw. I'm not much on monthly payments.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't see how it would be a disadvantage. If you can pay for the car in full more power to you. Only thing your missing out on by not pre-ordering is the anxiousness of waiting for a car you don't know when is going to be delivered and the $300 go-pro camera promotion.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You're not missing out on anything. You are doing things the way they should be done. Buying something you can afford rather than financing a car because you can't afford to buy one on the spot.

You are also saving yourself some $$$$$ because you're not paying interest on the car. Wait a while and see what people think about their ST when they take ownership.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're not missing out on anything. You are doing things the way they should be done. Buying something you can afford rather than financing a car because you can't afford to buy one on the spot.

You are also saving yourself some $$$$$ because you're not paying interest on the car. Wait a while and see what people think about their ST when they take ownership.

My only concern is the availability of the ST. I really believe that this vehicle is for me. My mind gives in to rumors that there will not be enough ST's to go around and I will have to settle or a MS3, GTI, or GT-R....Ok the last one is not settling and it's about 70,000 dollars more, and not in my buying range...yet, but you get the point.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I doubt "availability" will be that big of a problem unless you're in a small market. But it'll be awhile before you see an ST3 version of the car, since dealer orders are in line behind pre-orders for the ST3 package. There will probably be many base and ST2s available.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I am CONVINCED that NOT pre-ordering is an advantage! I KNOW this is is going to be a great car. I am positive that I am going to love it.
I will NOT buy one until I have driven one.
I will NOT buy one until I am satisfied by physical contact.
THEN, I will wait one week ( to think ) and THEN place my order.

I have the patience ofa mountain and it has always been rewarded well.

·
Registered
778 Posts
As far as I know (reading reviews and interviews) Lisa has said that they will build the ST for anyone who wants one.
This is not a limited production car, despite what some (dealerships) say.

Really, you have an advantage. You will get to test drive and see the car before you purchase it. Unlike most of us who have pre ordered sight unseen.

If the car is not available to the specs you want when you are ready to buy, you should be able to order what you want when you are ready. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
+1000. This is NOT a limited production car. They will always make one when you order it.

Dealerships are saying it is limited production so they don't have to discount it and make you order in a hurry.

There are 550 cars preordered and release is only 1.5-2 months away. I'm not so sure this car is going to get the numbers Ford wants. Maybe 2013 is the first and last year we see the Focus ST in the USA. God I hope not.

As far as I know (reading reviews and interviews) Lisa has said that they will build the ST for anyone who wants one.
This is not a limited production car, despite what some (dealerships) say.

Really, you have an advantage. You will get to test drive and see the car before you purchase it. Unlike most of us who have pre ordered sight unseen.

If the car is not available to the specs you want when you are ready to buy, you should be able to order what you want when you are ready. :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
I doubt this will be the one and only year the STs will be here. Once the car is out and about and available for test drives, those who otherwise would not consider the Focus as anything than a grocery getter may have a change of heart.
Only the crazy few of us who are insane enough to order a car sight unseen are the ones who are pre ordering now. I wouldnt worry. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am CONVINCED that NOT pre-ordering is an advantage! I KNOW this is is going to be a great car. I am positive that I am going to love it.
I will NOT buy one until I have driven one.
I will NOT buy one until I am satisfied by physical contact.
THEN, I will wait one week ( to think ) and THEN place my order.

I have the patience ofa mountain and it has always been rewarded well.
I kind of feel you on this one, especially sense it is such a new vehicle. Nothing else like it in the Ford line up...

·
Registered
894 Posts
This car has not received a tremendous amount of media exposure yet (unlike the BRZ/FRS). Wait until Chris Harris takes it for a drive, or Top Gear gives it over to the Stig, or Tiff races it against a GTI, or Jay Leno has it in his garage, etc. etc. Right now, there are some great print articles (calling it "sublime" etc.), but without hard data, and only a few videos: that one quick overview by Autocar, that really weird "Honest John" character doing a review of the wagon, the largely superficial review by Autoguide from Canada, and a lot of uncaptioned European "impression" videos from the South of France. I really don't know why we're not seeing more US and English full reviews yet. Perhaps there are still shaking out the pre-production bugs (ahem, hood gap, ahem).

Reactions: Americarsftw

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's not that I don't think its a great vehicle, I have never been one to buy the first run of anything. Plus the ST3 pack delay hasn't gone over well with me personally. I need a car NLT September and I don't think Ford can deliver by September.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was reluctant to place an order before the performance academy. Now that I have actually been inside one and got a taste of what it is like I will be placing an order this week on an ST2 as long as my local dealer doesn't try anything funny when I bring on my X-plan info. The limited production may be true in theory but I thought I read that if they sold every one of the "limited" supply that it would be the second best selling hot hatch behind the GTI.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cars always sell better initially and then trail off, and a high performance model of the Focus that has limited mass market appeal will not sell in huge numbers. I have zero doubt that if you walk into a dealer a month after launch, tell him exactly what you want, they will either trade for the car or order it for you and you'll have it within a month (I say a month because when I ordered a BMW 5 years ago, they were able to build it in Germany, ship it here, clean it, and do delivery within 5 weeks... and the ST isn't built overseas).

There are 550 preorders after being available for quite a while. I imagine the first couple weeks covered the majority of that 550, and it has slowed to a crawl since then.

Just wait for the car to hit dealers. Sit in it. Test drive it. If you love it, buy the one they have or order the one you want. You'll get the car, this isn't in limited production so there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have not and I am not going to preorder, simply due to the fact that I haven't the money yet. Is this to my disadvantage? I'm going to pay cash btw. I'm not much on monthly payments.
Not a disadvantage ... however you will likely have to order one at a dealership and wait for delivery when you are ready to order. I would not personally suggest buying one off the lot and from what we are hearing dealerships are only getting 1 vehicle.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Remember, the big american mag reviews haven't really hit yet, just some coverig the car overseas. I expect this car to get a lot more popular here when the big mags start releasing full test articles.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Remember, the big american mag reviews haven't really hit yet, just some coverig the car overseas. I expect this car to get a lot more popular here when the big mags start releasing full test articles.
I don't.

It might get a little more excitement, but the enthusiasts who are the ones that make a car like this popular already have been tracking the car for a while now. This isn't like something like a Camaro launching, where everyone and their mother has read about it and is looking forward to buying one without even seeing a review. It's more like the Golf R - limited appeal, a small enthusiast group that cares, and even fewer buyers (5000 a year? If that?). When the ST hits lots, it will get more attention as people ask "What is that?", but don't expect the average person to know what a ST is right away, it'll take a little while to get mind share.

·
Registered
753 Posts
On the plus side, the fewer they sell the more ours will be worth in the future :)

Reactions: Americarsftw
1 - 20 of 44 Posts