Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a request for someone who either works at a dealer or owns a 2010-2013 Mustang and a Recaro-equipped ST - can you see if headrests from the Mustang will fit the Recaros? I can't stand the Recaro's tilted headrests and I want to know if these would fit and improve the situation - MRT Mustang AdjustableTilting Headrest - MRT Direct

Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
lucky for you, I have both an ST and a 2011 mustang sitting in the driveway, lol. I'll try to find some time and tinker and get back to you if it fits.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm.. interesting, if only I had thought of that last week while I was at MRT!
Yeah, that was going to be my next request :LOL: I'll be in Metro Detroit later this week but sadly my ST won't fit in the carry-on bin. I sent an email off to MRT about this, too. If the Mustang headrest fits and it helps with the angle issue then I'm ordering a set immediately.

lucky for you, I have both an ST and a 2011 mustang sitting in the driveway, lol. I'll try to find some time and tinker and get back to you if it fits.
Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
2013 Mustang with leather Recaro's. No headrest's in the front seats as they are one piece. Rear seats are these flip down headrest's and I have never flipped them up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried flipping your headrests around?
Yeah but there's two problems with that - completely eliminates the safety purpose of the headrests because they then tilt so far back (might as well remove them completely) and it encroaches way too far into the backseat passenger area. I'd rather just have a proper fitting headrest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't really suggest what to do about the headrests. Some people think that a firm headrest jabbing the occupants in the neck is the only safe way to operate a car.

In my car, I removed the headrest. I kneeled on a 2X4 with the metal rod under it. I used a socket and extension and I pried up a bit ... hard. Then the other to match. Tested, removed, adjusted, tested, and replicated the other side. I moved them back about an inch. My head still hits in a normal and relaxed driving position. I won't suggest you do the same, but it works for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't really suggest what to do about the headrests. Some people think that a firm headrest jabbing the occupants in the neck is the only safe way to operate a car.

In my car, I removed the headrest. I kneeled on a 2X4 with the metal rod under it. I used a socket and extension and I pried up a bit ... hard. Then the other to match. Tested, removed, adjusted, tested, and replicated the other side. I moved them back about an inch. My head still hits in a normal and relaxed driving position. I won't suggest you do the same, but it works for me.
I've seen people who have fixed their headrest on other cars using a hydraulic press and I've been tempted to try that (gives me an excuse to buy a press). I'd just be paranoid about damaging the leather.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can't tell you if the Mustang ones fit, but the adjustable one's out of the current gen Focus does... They are $300 each.

I have mine pulled all the way up almost out. It's like it's not there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've seen people who have fixed their headrest on other cars using a hydraulic press and I've been tempted to try that (gives me an excuse to buy a press). I'd just be paranoid about damaging the leather.
The force required to bend mine was no where near needing a press. Any able able adult that can use a 12 inch lever with a fulcurm could do it. I'd be scared to put them in a press too. The tubes are hollow.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Uh....so apparently I'm an idiot as I couldn't get the ST headrest out. Admittedly it was stupid cold and my hands were hurting so I didn't try for very long but it definitely didn't come out while pushing the button. Unless there's another button?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Uh....so apparently I'm an idiot as I couldn't get the ST headrest out. Admittedly it was stupid cold and my hands were hurting so I didn't try for very long but it definitely didn't come out while pushing the button. Unless there's another button?
From what I read, yep, there is a second button.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
35 Posts
+2 There is a second button. Grab the sculpted portion of the seat that surrounds the headrest and pull back a little. Do this on the opposite side of the obvious button. The other button is smaller and flush with the plastic. I used a cheap Bic pen cap, since the cap is plastic and won't scratch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on this - The posts on the Mustang are the correct size but the headrests themselves are too wide to fit into the recess on the Recaros. MRT is checking with their supplier about the possibility of modifying their existing design to work with the ST.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Update on this - The posts on the Mustang are the correct size but the headrests themselves are too wide to fit into the recess on the Recaros. MRT is checking with their supplier about the possibility of modifying their existing design to work with the ST.
Actually.... the posts on the Mustang headrest while they are the correct spacing, the posts are slightly undersized ... so the headrest was a bit to lose, so the post size will need to change also... I stopped by MRT the other day and we tried it out... ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually.... the posts on the Mustang headrest while they are the correct spacing, the posts are slightly undersized ... so the headrest was a bit to lose, so the post size will need to change also... I stopped by MRT the other day and we tried it out... ;)
Lol, I was wondering if it was someone here. Jason sent me an email this morning with that update. Thanks for being a guinea pig.

Other than the sizing issues was the forward lean significantly improved?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Lol, I was wondering if it was someone here. Jason sent me an email this morning with that update. Thanks for being a guinea pig.

Other than the sizing issues was the forward lean significantly improved?
It was kind of hard tell since it didn't fit in the pocket, but yes, I do believe in the most straight up position it should be improved...

as for guinea pig... thankfully Winter is here... otherwise I got the feeling I would be buying a number of other parts to test out! LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts