Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some Australian market specific information on the Focus ST:
The ST will probably be priced on par with the old Focus XR5, which was $AUD37,990 on release...which would mean it would definitely come in under $AUD40k - contradicting some of the recent rumors of a $AUD45k Focus ST
The Australian market will only get 1 specification of Focus ST, equivalent to the ST2! Which means no full leather and all the other cool stuff on the ST3:mad:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Chilliman:
I'm curious. Since it's not really a mainstream car, where will they build the ST Focus that's sold in Australia? Being a right hand drive car, is it built in Australia, Japan, Malaysia (England :confused:) ?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
You're not giving up all that much. Still a nicely equipped car as an ST2. The only thing I wish I could add to my ST2 package is the lighting options that come with the ST3.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Chilliman:
I'm curious. Since it's not really a mainstream car, where will they build the ST Focus that's sold in Australia? Being a right hand drive car, is it built in Australia, Japan, Malaysia (England :confused:) ?
Currently our MkIII Focus (RHD) are being built in Germany but production will switch to Thailand from mid-year, the ST however will be built in Germany for the Australian market.

The Thai-built Focus will allow for some pretty sharp pricing/options on non-ST models, but prices will most likely be firm for a while on the German-built ST.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because they always get the badass car and we get gypped, time for a little pay back lol.
Well, our Falcon is not long for this world apparently (2016?). As a consolation for taking the Taurus (after its moved onto the next platform; EUCD2?) we hopefully will get the Mustang to satisfy those left with RWD/V8 tendencies.

The Focus XR5 (previous ST) was a minor hit here, and I still see a lot of them around the place, but nowhere near the runaway success of the Golf GTi. There is a growing market for performance hatches here, so Ford would be mad not to try and grab a slice of it with both the Focus ST and the Fiesta ST.

So many of the guys I know who had Falcon XR6s and XR8s back in the 1990's (the last time Falcons dominated the local sales charts) have moved away from the large performance sedan - what with rising fuel prices/speed cameras and urban congestion. That includes me, after owning 3 Falcons over the years, and I've found hatchbacks suit my needs perfectly - but I still wouldn't mind a bit of extra performance; hence the Focus ST is on my shopping list!

·
Registered
440 Posts
VW Golf GTI's are a dime a dozen in Canada. The :ST: will dominate the Hot Hatch market. I am sure we will see a vw response in power and gm & dodge & honda come up with a answer to it.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
VW Golf GTI's are a dime a dozen in Canada. The :ST: will dominate the Hot Hatch market. I am sure we will see a vw response in power and gm & dodge & honda come up with a answer to it.

And a corresponding escalation by Ford when they introduce the RS.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Vw has a response to the ST. The new Gti will have 250 some hp and suspension.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The new MkVII GTI is supposed to be about 235hp / 258ft lbs torque, new chassis, lighter etc. Stock for stock it will be pretty close. However, it will probably still look like a shoe box. I don't mind the GTI at all, nice driving car, but a few things kill it for me. The shoe-box styling, stock ride height looks almost 4x4, standard wheels are ugly. ST looks sleek and aggressive, ride height looks better and I can live with the stock wheels, although hopefully replace when budget allows.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some Australian market specific information on the Focus ST:
The ST will probably be priced on par with the old Focus XR5, which was $AUD37,990 on release...which would mean it would definitely come in under $AUD40k - contradicting some of the recent rumors of a $AUD45k Focus ST
The Australian market will only get 1 specification of Focus ST, equivalent to the ST2! Which means no full leather and all the other cool stuff on the ST3:mad:
Hay Chilliman
Where are you getting this information from?
Do you work for ford?
hope the price is correct.
I would say leather would be an option,just like it was for the XR5. But would like some cool option on it,eg HIDs
What I really want to know is are we going to be getting Sync and Myford touch as options in AUS?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hay Chilliman
Where are you getting this information from?
Do you work for ford?
hope the price is correct.
I would say leather would be an option,just like it was for the XR5. But would like some cool option on it,eg HIDs
What I really want to know is are we going to be getting Sync and Myford touch as options in AUS?
No I don't work for Ford - there has just been the odd bit in motoring media including announcements from Ford themselves on pricing; nothing firm, just that they're aiming to bring it in under $AUD40k (at $AUD45k, like some had speculated, it would be a dead duck up against the Golf GTi's current price point)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I don't work for Ford - there has just been the odd bit in motoring media including announcements from Ford themselves on pricing; nothing firm, just that they're aiming to bring it in under $AUD40k (at $AUD45k, like some had speculated, it would be a dead duck up against the Golf GTi's current price point)
The 'ST2' spec level was from a source I consider reliable on Fordforums.com.au

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Chilliman
here's hoping we get all the good stuff as options here in AUS.
OR I wont be buying one, I want MYFORD touch in mine.
Ford seem to always release the car here in AUS and then slowly add all the good stuff over the model cycle.
Just like they did with the Mondeo.

Do you have the link to the Fordforums discussion about the ST?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Chilliman
here's hoping we get all the good stuff as options here in AUS.
OR I wont be buying one, I want MYFORD touch in mine.
Ford seem to always release the car here in AUS and then slowly add all the good stuff over the model cycle.
Just like they did with the Mondeo.

Do you have the link to the Fordforums discussion about the ST?
Australian Ford Forums

Poster was DJM83 (about the ST2 spec). Just ignore the $AUD45k rumours, as Ford are working hard to bring it in under $AUD40k

·
Registered
55 Posts
Australia definitely won't be getting MyFord touch unfortunately. We will be getting European spec models and currently MyFord touch isn't available in the European market.

ST2 spec is definite.

Colours we are getting:
Tangerine Scream
Panther Black
Frozen White
Moondust Silver
Colorado Red
Spirit Blue (interesting that they're going with this rather than PB like everyone else :!:)

All with partial leather and matching coloured accents. Other options are an unknown at this stage, as is ETA and pricing.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts