Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard if the ST will have the automatic dimming rear view mirror in the US? I've seen it listed for the European version but I haven't seen it listed for the US version. My 09 SEL has an automatic dimming mirror and I love having it for night driving. I'd expect the ST3 package to have it, but like I said I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Reactions: Ken Bury

·
Registered
547 Posts
O
Has anyone heard if the ST will have the automatic dimming rear view mirror in the US? I've seen it listed for the European version but I haven't seen it listed for the US version. My 09 SEL has an automatic dimming mirror and I love having it for night driving. I'd expect the ST3 package to have it, but like I said I haven't seen it listed anywhere.
No auto dim mirror. Sorry.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Too bad as it's a great source of power to tap into for my gps.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Man. That sucks. Especially on a low car like the focus with trucks behind you. Europe gets all the goodies....grey wheels, rain sensing wipers, rear parking sensors. We can't even get an auto dimming mirror? :what:

·
Registered
373 Posts
The part that gets me is its on the regular Focus and isn't even an option on the highest trim of the ST. I don't care if they made it a $300 standalone option, it's not like the part doesn't exist and couldn't be pulled directly from the regular Focus assembly line. Implementation cost: ZERO DOLLARS.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Gentex makes the mirrors and can be found on eBay for a decent price. I just put the autodim/compass/homelink/temperature mirrors in both of my cars.

·
4,009 Posts
Gentex makes the mirrors and can be found on eBay for a decent price. I just put the autodim/compass/homelink/temperature mirrors in both of my cars.

How did you wire it?

·
Registered
534 Posts
How did you wire it?
On my 07 it was easy as it already had a compass/dimming mirror, just no Homelink. My other one needed the wires run.

Either way, it's a Constant 12v, Switched 12v, and a ground. Should be easy enough to wire in with an Add-a-circuit or a wire tap into another harness in the car.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm very disappointed that the car won't have the auto-dimming mirror. I'll have to look into adding one myself after the fact since I've grown to love having one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing the Gentex (autodimming only) mirror. I don't see the point in getting one with extra features since I am already getting the ST3 package with nav. GENK2A $89

I've seen a video on detaching the existing mirror from a 'mount' that is glued to the windshield. What I'm wondering is if I have to remove that piece as well or if the Gentex mirror will fit right onto that mount or not. I'm a tad concerned about having to glue a new rearview mirror on as I think I'm going to get a radar detector mount that attaches to the rearview mirror. I've read there have been some issues with getting glue that will keep just the rearview mirror alone attached. I was planning on getting an "add a circuit" tap and running a power cable up and around the windshield and then splitting it for the mirror & the radar detector.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
From what I've seen I'm guessing it should use the same mount that is glued to the windshield, but it looks like there is an adapter if needed. I went over the instructions and it doesn't sound too bad to install one. I'd probably go with the one that has the temperature display and run the temperature probe for it. Biggest problem will be getting the pillar molding out without destroying it.

·
4,009 Posts
It's not an add on. It came as part of my titanium package.

·
4,009 Posts
And let me ask again why not?! The St should have come equipped with all titanium trim level package items as an option.

On the go - Via TapTalk

1 - 20 of 85 Posts