Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Ford Focus ST vs. 2012 Volkswagen GTI - Automobile Magazine

"These are two different cars for two different types of customers. An ST buyer might briefly look at the GTI, but the mind-set of a prospective Volkswagen owner is probably too resolved to consider the extroverted Focus. As is almost always the case, the final decision is a matter of taste and ability. Both contenders are seriously quick, but the Focus is sharper-edged. Always on the prowl, dynamically quite radical, and totally committed, the ST is a highly involving hot hatch -- despite and because of its rough-and-ready personality. It is, in a nutshell, the better choice for young and keen drivers and fashion-conscious street jockeys. In the other corner of our imaginary ring sits the VW, which is is better balanced, less playful, and more mature than its challenger. A deceptively quick cruiser, the sixth-generation GTI might be ultimately less engaging than the Focus, but it is finely honed and complete, a master of the nuances of motion, an amazingly versatile tool, and truly rewarding to drive. On Sunday mornings, after a round of golf or for that impromptu back-road detour, you would invariably reach for the Ford keys. At other times, however, most of us might be better off with the fob that reads GTI."
Still glad I made my decision for the :ST: !

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I love that he implies that a GTI is the mature choice. All of the sudden the GTI is mature.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The GTI was always the bland and aged decision since the MKIV. When I think Camry, I think 5 easy letters, easy to spell.

·
Registered
742 Posts
There is a backhanded quality to all of the comments on the GTI in that quote, as if giving consolation to an older beauty pageant contestant that didn't win and probably won't be winning anymore.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I love the new ST!! With that being said I had a 1992 GTI that I babied and modified and I loved that little Go Cart!

·
Registered
869 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts