Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know what the black rectangle behind the grille is? I'm guessing its a piece of the grille... A front mount intercooler would look great in its place. You can see it in this pic pretty well stretching from one side to the other.

http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2012/05/2013-Ford-Focus-ST-front-623x389.jpg

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
There is a IC.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I hope the intercooler is efficient and big enough for these hot ass Texas summers down here. Heat soak is a norm down here on forced induction vehicles. Im sure there will be aftermarket upgrades available, but i hope stock is good enough to not be constantly having computer pulling timing in 90°+ weather and humidity.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Actually the IC is mounted below and slightly behind that black rectangle. That actual rectangle in view is the front crash protection barrier beam.
A nice chunk of steel that would function as the bumper in older cars in other words.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the IC is mounted below and slightly behind that black rectangle. That actual rectangle in view is the front crash protection barrier beam.
A nice chunk of steel that would function as the bumper in older cars in other words.
Thank you! Too bad it can't be removed. Maybe i'll paint some teeth on it or something.:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok.. lets say it COULD be removed, why do you WANT it removed?
It looked a little funky to me in some of the pics and hides the intercooler (at least in the ST-R). I was more curious as to what it was, if it was a piece of the grille or something else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought it'd look pretty cool to remove the grill and just show off an intercooler... but this seems unlikely if there's a crash bar behind the grill

·
Registered
742 Posts
I remembered this thread when I was taking pic and got this close-up:

As you can see, the black "bar" across the grille is in fact part of the grille itself. I have no idea of its function... aero maybe?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts