Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I too am interested in a bike rack for mine. I guess I'll just have to wait until the vehicle arrives to figure out fitment.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Same here. The only thing that annoys me about the center exhaust is I can't put a small trailer hitch on and use the same rack we use on the PT Cruiser. Or maybe I can if I rerout the exhaust. I have no emotional tie in with the cool center exhaust on the ST, and lean towards it being pretentious.

If they make a roof rack, maybe I'd get that instead.

I used trunk mount racks on my Trans Am, and really hated the hassles of the tie down straps. The trailer hitch racks are super convenient, only take one bolt and 20 seconds to mount and securing the bikes is far easier and...more secure.

Here's a video of a bike rack like the one we have on a 2012 Focus not-ST.
SportRack EZ Hitch Bike Rack Review - 2012 Ford Focus Video | etrailer.com

·
Registered
148 Posts
Etrailer is definitely the best place to go for info. I can't give a critique on any of these, but at least it's a place to start. Usually pretty good feedback from the customers...
etrailer.com bike racks

Really sad that a trailer hitch won't fit without modifications, and disappointed that Ford says towing is "not recommeded". Like Frankenbike, I'm almost considering rerouting the center exhaust. I have a trailer that I use with my MINI to tow our kayaks, bikes, roof boxes, loads from Lowes/Home Depot, and soon a teardrop camper. If my MINI can pull this off, I see no reason why an ST couldn't.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would love to get a bike rack, yet here it would be pointless considering we don't have any sidewalks to ride on. And I'm not going to ride in the road.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Of course towing isn't recommended. Where would you put the hitch without modification? But I think if you're willing to to mod the exhaust, light towing probably wouldn't stress anything.

I'd also consider a roof rack if it could be mounted securely and removed easily when you don't need it. Years of hatch racks on my various cars in the past, they always seem like a hassle and a half, you can't open the hatch while the bike is on and they look shabby, IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 4-bike rack (Curt brand) I wanted to carry on occasion so I got a class 1 hitch installed at U-Haul. $180 + $20 for the install + tax. Well worth it.

photo.JPG

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would recommend a Saris Bones Racks if you want to go with a hatch mounted rack... I used one for years on various Mustang's and my 2007 GTI, they are the best choice for cars with spoilers. They take quite a bit of effort to install, so you don't want to have to do it too often.

I actually bought myself a complete Thule Roof rack for my ST a couple of months ago... I haven't defiled the car as of yet by installing it, but when I do I will post some pictures.

I need to transport my mountain bike at least once a week when the cycling season gets going, so roof racks and hitch racks are the only types of racks that I consider for there ease of use and lock-ability.

Joe

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have a 4-bike rack (Curt brand) I wanted to carry on occasion so I got a class 1 hitch installed at U-Haul. $180 + $20 for the install + tax. Well worth it.

View attachment 6559
Is the bar that protrudes behind the exhaust permanently attached, or can it be easily removed when not using the hitch?
How hot does that bar get when the hitch with the bikes is attached?

I have a nice hitch bike rack that I use with my old 2001 Focus, and would like to use it with the ST, but I do not want a permanently attached hitch sticking out behind the exhaust like that. It would be fine every once and a while, just not permanently.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went with a Saris Bones rack as well. It works great, but I'm worried that in the long run it'll damage the paint where the rubber feet come in contact with the bumper. As long as I'm only transporting one bike, I just take off the wheels and throw it in the back with the seats folded down. This car has a good bit of space...I can fit my bike, 2 sets of wheels, duffel bag, backpack, toolbox, and pump without any issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sticks out 2 1/2 inches past the exhaust tip. And yes, the receiver is permanent (well, you could remove it, but it would mean completely uninstalling it, which would take 1/2 hour). It does get hot, but hey, it's steel. If your exhaust gets hot enough to damage steel then you have other things to worry about. IMO, it looks better than a roof rack and won't damage my paint, and it's certainly less noisy. It also won't damage the spoiler like a hatch mount rack might. I also have a 4-bike rack for carrying the whole family's bikes. I'm not sure that's possible with a roof or hatch rack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First install I've seen of a hitch rack on a Focus ST... would you mind sharing the make and model of the hitch that was installed?

Wondering if a hidden hitch could fit without interfering with the ST exhaust:
Trailer Hitch for 2012 Ford Focus - Hidden Hitch 60290

Oh also, do you know what the ground clearance is below the hitch? In some of the pictures i've seen online it almost looks like the hitch might hit the ground on some speedbumps/curbs

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went with a Saris Bones rack as well. It works great, but I'm worried that in the long run it'll damage the paint where the rubber feet come in contact with the bumper. As long as I'm only transporting one bike, I just take off the wheels and throw it in the back with the seats folded down. This car has a good bit of space...I can fit my bike, 2 sets of wheels, duffel bag, backpack, toolbox, and pump without any issues.
I have been very happy with how much junk I can fit in the back. Even got my fatty back there (Surly 1x1 with 3" tires).

·
Registered
685 Posts
First install I've seen of a hitch rack on a Focus ST... would you mind sharing the make and model of the hitch that was installed?

Oh also, do you know what the ground clearance is below the hitch? In some of the pictures i've seen online it almost looks like the hitch might hit the ground on some speedbumps/curbs
It's this one I think: CURT Manufacturing | Search Results for 11350

Some pictures of it on an ST in the installation pdf: https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/11350/installsheet/CM_11350_INS.PDF

I'd also like to know about ground clearance.

Also, same discussion going on here: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-accessories/2731-bike-racks.html

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a Seasucker as well. They're perfect for occasional use, but if you regularly need proper racks, roof racks are the only pro-quality option. I raced for years, and for a van, hitch racks are great. But they're not suited to a hatchback's style. If you need to use the trunk, both hitch and trunk mounts are awkward. Thule and Yakima are equally good.

·
Registered
16 Posts

From my post "I got a class 1 hitch installed at U-Haul", so the brand is U-Haul, though I believe it's actually manufactured by Curt and rebranded.
That Hidden Hitch won't fit the ST and I don't see that they make one. The only way is to have the hitch below the exhaust tips, unless of course you do something custom and re-route the exhaust.
I haven't hit any speed bumps with it. Maybe if your ST was dropped it might.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can anyone suggest a good truck mounted bike rack for the Focus?

I'll probably just go with one of these: Amazon.com: Thule 9001 Raceway 2 Bike Rear Mounted Bike Rack: Sports & Outdoors

But then I've always been worried about the legality of those racks, since they always cover up the license plate.
Want to revive this thread as I am looking for a hatch-mounted rack. Has anyone used the above rack on an ST? How about a similar rack? Worried by reports of denting / scratching on some cars.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's why I bought a 4dr hatch..... Fold the seats down, open the hatch
Pull the front wheel off the bike... And presto, the bike fits, no rack needed

·
Registered
726 Posts
From my post "I got a class 1 hitch installed at U-Haul", so the brand is U-Haul, though I believe it's actually manufactured by Curt and rebranded.
U-Haul gets receivers from several sources, including Curt and Reese. When you put the 1 1/4" to 2" adaptor on that Class I hitch, then the rack, it's going to stick WAY out from the back of your car. Every short little incline, driveways, etc you're going to slam the far end of the thing onto the ground. especially with 4 bikes. Even on our minivan the hitch rack I had (swing-away design to allow access to the rear) would hit, even lightly loaded. If you have people in the back seats and any luggage, it's guaranteed! For one bike, once a week, I'd just put it in the car. Safest and cheapest option.

I have a Sea-sucker single rack with rear wheel support that works great for longer trips or if you don't like mud in your car. Fair warning, I'll be selling mine so this endorsement might seem a bit self-serving. But, disability is definitely permanent so I'll have no need of it.

I've put $6500 bike up there, for 2 hrs at 80mph. No prob. I also had my pro camera on the roof at the track last week, also with suction cups. Safe and sound (well, the sound is terrible cause I didn't muffle the mic).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts