Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I'm from Australia and have owned my car (2013 Ford Focus ST) from new. In relation to engine mods it had a steeda symposer delete blanking plate and a 2xs racing cai pipe.
The other day whilst accelerating in 3rd (1/4-1/2 boost) approx 50mph a big plume of black smoke came out the back and then it was running on 3.
It was recovered to the ford dealer who found that the piston in cylinder 1 had broke.

Fords have denied my warranty claim due to the steeda symposer delete blanking plate stating "the presence of the plate has caused excessive pressure which in turn has produced excessive heat breaking the piston"
The explanation ford have given is not correct as no pressure escapes from the symposer as it just vibrates against the enclosed diaphram.
After doing some research there appears to be quite a few 2.0 Turbo ecoboost engine that have suffered the same fate.

Has anyone on here experienced the same engine fault ?
Was it covered by warranty?
Did u have any mods (if so what)?

I am still waiting for a reply from Steeda.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did you have an aftermarket tune on the PCM? I agree, sound symposia does nothing as far as the engine running. You're getting the run around.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi yes it was a superchips tune. And fords have blamed that. Had a used engine put in now ?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is Superchips a popular tuner there? Seems like that name rings a bell but from 15-20 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sorry to hear.
Yea, Superchips are a joke. They try to fool the cpu to think it's getting different inputs rather than actually tuning it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is superchips in the UK which is different from the one in the US. I have just added water meth injection on my new engine and wow what a difference. A catch can or oil seperator is a must on these engines. My old engines valves are caked in carbon and oil deposits

1 - 6 of 6 Posts