Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About Booster Seat / Car Seats

I know that being a five door, the ST is much easier to get in and out of, especially when it comes to the back seat, but if you have younger kids like I do (8 and 6) it's difficult to access the rear seat buckles. The way the seats are sculpted in my Titanium, the seats cover the buckle which means that you have to push the seat to the side in order to access the buckle.

My kids have already said "daddy, I hope the seat belts in your next car are easier to buckle". Don't know if the Recaro rears will be any different or not.

I did look into Recaro booster seats to match the interior and there aren't any that are an exact match.

Recaro ProBooster Child Seat - Free Shipping - Rightstart.com

blueopal_fnl1_1.jpg

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My kids are in college and high school, but that seems like a stylish perch for the little ones.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think it will likely just be a re-skinned version of the same seats.

I don't have as much of an issue in my 2012, but I think that's because I have the cloth seats, if I had the leather in the TI, I bet it would be more of an issue. I was fitting a 10 yr old, one front facing and one rear facing in the back but I just made the switch to a front facing and a booster seat in the back. I had to put one on each side of the car and put the 10 yr old in the middle to make it work because the middle seat belt was obscured.

My only bit of consolation to you would be that at 6 and 8, they won't be in those seats for much longer and at that point you won't care, but if you were to get a different car due to the inconvenience of the belts, you'll regret it once the seats are gone.

Also, I bought the protective mats that go underneath each car seat, and they are a little bit rubberized, it does help keep them from sliding back towards the center everytime they get out.

Kinda like this one (but not this exact one, not sure if this one is rubberized, the one I bought was from walmart or babies R Us, etc...)
Amazon.com: Kiddopotamus Duomat 2 in 1 Car Seat Protector Mat: Baby

·
Registered
13 Posts
@silvertoy, did you have any issues fitting in the rear facing convertible seat in your 2012? I looked at a non-ST focus and thought it will be a tight fit back there. Would hate to roll home with an ST and find out I can't fit a rear facing convertible seat.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I couldn't fit the rear facing seat behind me comfortably. I had tried it behind my wifes seat and it was better but ultimately I put the rear facing seatseat in the middle, worked out well.

·
Registered
495 Posts
the back seat on the US ST is identical to the titanium one with some extra ST paraphernalia; only europe gets the recaro back seats.

·
Registered
617 Posts
the back seat on the US ST is identical to the titanium one with some extra ST paraphernalia; only europe gets the recaro back seats.
This. Just go to your dealer with your car seat and try it out on a regular focus. The Recaro seats look alittle thicker from to back than my Titanium seats, so give yourself an inch or two of wiggle room to see how the seat will fit. My sons front facing seat fits fine behind my wife in passenger seat.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
I've got a 3 year old & 7 year old grandkids. So I'm going to be in the market for boosters.
My wife has boosters in the back of her accord. We use the hooks in the seat and they do slide around, so that mat looks good.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do European back seats look like. How do they differ from NA cars.

On the go via Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the Kiddopotamus mat and it helps with scuffing as well as keeping the seat in place (and also, just helps manage general "dirt and crap" that kiddies bring along :)).

But I recently bought a Prince Lionheart Seatsaver, which is similar, but thicker. I haven't used it long, but it looks like it'll save the seat's cushion from the indentation of the carseat/booster over time. (I'm still using a convertible seat -- and it's definitely left an indentation in my ex-wife's Acura TSX which has full leather seating.)

·
Registered
630 Posts
About Booster Seat / Car Seats

I know that being a five door, the ST is much easier to get in and out of, especially when it comes to the back seat, but if you have younger kids like I do (8 and 6) it's difficult to access the rear seat buckles. The way the seats are sculpted in my Titanium, the seats cover the buckle which means that you have to push the seat to the side in order to access the buckle.

My kids have already said "daddy, I hope the seat belts in your next car are easier to buckle". Don't know if the Recaro rears will be any different or not.

I did look into Recaro booster seats to match the interior and there aren't any that are an exact match.

Recaro ProBooster Child Seat - Free Shipping - Rightstart.com

View attachment 2049
I rented a Hatchback SEL Focus with cloth seats over the weekend. My 8 year old (9 in a few weeks) son couldn't buckle the seat belt himself. I had the same problem as you. I had to move the booster seat to the side in order to buckle the seat belt for him. I'm not too concerned since my son won't be in a booster seat too much longer.

They have Recaro Booster seats at Target in different colors. Here you go:

recaro booster seat at Target

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've already done some investigation into this. As the ST has to retain as much functionality as possible for us (we have a 4 1/2 year old), we needed a seat that was narrow enough to allow the 60 side of the 40/60 rear split to still fold down. This was actually a huge bonus of the ST/Focus design, because most hatchbacks I've seen (as well as SUVs) have the split reversed. Still boggles my mind as most everyone puts a child seat on the passenger side so you're not loading and unloading a child in traffic.

That said, I found what appears to be a very highly-recommended seat that should fit the bill. Checked it out in person and it has a very sturdy inner steel frame, and seems to be very high quality:
DIONO RADIAN RXT CAR SEAT

It's a higher-end seat, so the price may put some people off, but it will take a child from under 10 lbs up to 120, so you could theoretically get away with it as the only seat you'd need to buy. Also, the seat is only 17" wide. The 40 split on the Focus is a narrow 18.5", which means many/most seats won't fit while still preserving the 60 split/fold. I think the dark grey/black colour should complement the interior of an an ST (mine will be an ST3) very nicely.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've already done some investigation into this. As the ST has to retain as much functionality as possible for us (we have a 4 1/2 year old), we needed a seat that was narrow enough to allow the 60 side of the 40/60 rear split to still fold down. This was actually a huge bonus of the ST/Focus design, because most hatchbacks I've seen (as well as SUVs) have the split reversed. Still boggles my mind as most everyone puts a child seat on the passenger side so you're not loading and unloading a child in traffic.

That said, I found what appears to be a very highly-recommended seat that should fit the bill. Checked it out in person and it has a very sturdy inner steel frame, and seems to be very high quality:
DIONO RADIAN RXT CAR SEAT

It's a higher-end seat, so the price may put some people off, but it will take a child from under 10 lbs up to 120, so you could theoretically get away with it as the only seat you'd need to buy. Also, the seat is only 17" wide. The 40 split on the Focus is a narrow 18.5", which means many/most seats won't fit while still preserving the 60 split/fold. I think the dark grey/black colour should complement the interior of an an ST (mine will be an ST3) very nicely.
Hell, a vasectomy would be cheaper! :eek:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hell, a vasectomy would be cheaper! :eek:
Haha, yeah, I said it wasn't cheap (that's in canadian dollars fwiw, and US prices tend to be cheaper, even though our dollars have been pretty much at par for a few years now).

But again, the versatility (fact it fits kids up to 120 lbs and preserves the 60 fold) and the quality/appearance makes it an easier pill to swallow, imo.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I guess I am lucky. Our almost 9-year old is 4'9" already. No more booster seats for us. :) She's the tallest in her class and is gonna be a very tall girl when she is done her all her growth spurts. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts