Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a discussion on the topic of brake fluid changes as part of routine maintenance. Coming from a VW, where it is recommended after 3 years then every 2, I was surprised to see no mention of it in the Ford maintenance schedule. Especially considering the torque vectoring use, and heating up, of the braking system. I highly doubt Ford uses magical brake fluid that's somehow not hygroscopic.

Myself I'm thinking I might just follow the VW schedule and have it changed every couple of years just to be safe.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm swapping to Motul this week. After mid Ohio I had lots of air in the lines from the fluid bubbling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Whats the reason for the change? I dont think ive ever owned a vehicle where brake fluid change out was routinly recommended unless there was a change somewhere in the braking system.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake fluid absorbs water which greatly reduces its boiling point. If your fluid boils you can loose hydraulic pressure because the gas can compress. This is what makes the pedal soft when brakes get too hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
380 Posts
Between me a track pack and Boss 302 I think we all lost a little pedal at mid ohio. My pedal is soft up to 50% of the travel now. I'd say it's a weak point with these cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Brake fluid absorbs water which greatly reduces its boiling point. If your fluid boils you can loose hydraulic pressure because the gas can compress. This is what makes the pedal soft when brakes get too hot.

Interesting. Is that only under harsh driving conditions? Ive been driving for over 25 years and never lost brake pressure. Even when the caliper went bad on our volvo we didnt notice a loss in pressure. I noticed the leak from the right rear and we took it in pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. Is that only under harsh driving conditions? Ive been driving for over 25 years and never lost brake pressure. Even when the caliper went bad on our volvo we didnt notice a loss in pressure. I noticed the leak from the right rear and we took it in pretty quick.
Nope. The fluid itself attracts moisture. Now the brakes heating up is going to be more likely under heavy braking of course. Like going down a mountain. Our torque vectoring. Maybe that's what caused your caliper issue in the first place.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Thats really good info ...thanks. Its highly possible this was the cause for brake failure on the volvo. It sat in our temp controlled garage for most of winter with little driving ...ans id be willing to bet the brake fluid wasnt changed oit since purchase in 2007. It may have been at 37000 miles but i would have to check records

·
Registered
700 Posts
All depends on how many track days I put on the car. Sometimes it's as many as 4 changes per year.

Reactions: acbauza and Chad

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you track your car I would highly suggest doing this yearly. But a good way to determine if it needs changing is by the color it turns. If it gets dark brownish I put new in.

On my track bike I go through DOT5.1 a lot due to heavy braking a lot, I dont track any of my cars nor have I ever, so typically I swap the fluid about every 2 years, but to me the brakes are the last place I want to ever go cheap. I rather be over concerned than anything.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if the dealer will even know what I'm talking about when I ask them to do it. I still can't believe Ford doesn't even suggest checking it in their service manual.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
589 Posts
I wonder if the dealer will even know what I'm talking about when I ask them to do it. I still can't believe Ford doesn't even suggest checking it in their service manual.

My volkswagen guide never said anything about changing the break fluid , but i went to a auto body repair school and they had also worked on cars and my teacher always told us about break fluid and how water in break fluid can destroy your break lines so its best to change it every 2 years

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My volkswagen guide never said anything about changing the break fluid , but i went to a auto body repair school and they had also worked on cars and my teacher always told us about break fluid and how water in break fluid can destroy your break lines so its best to change it every 2 years
My VW guide did. After 3 years then every 2. I had an '08 (MKV) Rabbit. Still kinda miss that car!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm more alarmed by the fact that Pat Goss has apparently gotten contact lenses. That's just not right.

Changed the fluid on my Jetta every two years, per the manual. But I switched to Blue Super DOT 4. Is the Ford like the VW in using the brake fluid for the clutch as well? If so, that's something else that has to be bled. I hope my old Motive Powerbleeder fits on the reservoir tank.

Reactions: jinstall

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm more alarmed by the fact that Pat Goss has apparently gotten contact lenses. That's just not right.

Changed the fluid on my Jetta every two years, per the manual. But I switched to Blue Super DOT 4. Is the Ford like the VW in using the brake fluid for the clutch as well? If so, that's something else that has to be bled. I hope my old Motive Powerbleeder fits on the reservoir tank.
I think it does. After hearing about dealers not having the right tools to bleed it from the transmission failure thread I'm wondering if changing the fluid could cause an issue. I guess at least I have two years.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
I already swapped my fluid. For me, the issue was simple. Safety.

If I am going to track and auto-x my car, I needed to be sure the brakes would hold up under intense heat. I went to DOT 5.1. It is suppose to last very long, and has a higher wet boil temp than DOT 4.

If you are a true daily driver, then swapping your fluid is a waste of your time. Keep it stock. Change it when it needs to be changed.

I don't see how you could damage your brakes changing the fluid, especially since You have the internet, and YouTube behind you. I bought a vacuum bleeding system. Its easy, and doesn't require you to press the brakes. You can even do it without taking the wheels off if you don't want.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts