Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think we all probably agree that the rear visible on this car is crap. That could be said for a lot of cars these days actually, especially since high waist-lines became widespread. I wanted to do something to improve that, so I looked into rear-view mirror attachments. I originally purchased the Fit System RM011 Clip-on Wide Angle Rear View Mirror because it was cheap ($12..now less), and had a huge 17.75" spread. I ran with it for a few weeks, but the thing was HUGE. I think it would be perfect in a truck, but it's way too big for our cars.

In looking for something better, I ran across Broadway mirrors. They come in two styles - flat & convex and three sizes - 270mm, 300mm and 360mm. I opted for the 360mm convex style. It was twice the cost of the Fit System ($26 at the time...now down to $17), but I figured it would be worth it....and it has. The footprint on the Broadway is much smaller than the Fit System, but the view is about 95% the same. The convex shape helps, and there is very little distortion.

Broadway Rearview Mirror by adfrost81, on Flickr

360mm Convex (Type-A) by adfrost81, on Flickr

Attachment by adfrost81, on Flickr
It clips on firmly with spring-loaded rubberized clips. It seats flush to the mirror and there is no added vibration. The Fit System mirror vibrated a lot of more.

This gives a good representation of the view you'll get from the drivers seat. I have the OEM mirror raised up as high as possible (which is lower than would be ideal, thanks to the poor attachment position to the windshield). This causes the upper-left corner of the mirror to very nearly touch the windshield, but I have not found that to be a problem.

Driver's View by adfrost81, on Flickr

As you can see, this eliminates all the blind spots. You barely need the side mirrors with this. The other plus (or minus, depending on how you look at it) is that you can see the passengers in the rear seat. If you have kids (I don't), this could be a nice feature. It's a lot easier to have conversations with passengers when you can see them. It takes a few days to get used to everything being smaller and seeing more of the interior of the car.

One downside (and it's a very minor one) is the logo etching. Fortunately, it's in the upper left corner that I have rarely have occasion to look at.

Logo Etching by adfrost81, on Flickr

So to summarize:

Pros:
  • Wider viewing angle eliminates all blind spots
  • Clarity of the glass is better than the stock mirror
  • No added vibration due to solid clipping system
  • No need to tilt at night to avoid light refraction (at least I have never found the need to do so)
Cons:
  • Price (though this has been mitigated since my purchase)
  • Takes up more of the already limited windshield space
  • Just a clip-on mirror (ie no auto-dimming or HomeLink controls)
  • Logo etching is a bit tacky
Recommendation:
If you're still running the OEM mirror, at $17, this is really a no-brainer....buy it! Even at the higher price, it's completely worth the added visibility. It's one of those little things that can help make your time behind the wheel even more enjoyable...and safer.

Where to Buy:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thanks for the great review furosuto81. I never thought about upgrading the rear-view mirror before, but I'm thinking about it now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That actually seems to be a great increase in safety. What about at night with the lights of vehicles behind you?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Brookstone carried a mirror like that for a few years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had it in my ST since getting it last December.. it's best for driving in traffic and on the highways because a majority of the time if you have your door mirrors aligned right and this installed essentially you can just glance in all three mirrors without even having to look over your shoulders because the blind spots are eliminated. Now I still look over my shoulders time to time but you gain more confidence the longer you've adjusted to the mirror. I've had mine 2yrs.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Nice review. I don't have anything terrible to say about the size and how the stock rearview mirror works but it does feel like something I'd find in a mid to late-'80s GM or Ford with its shape and the dimming lever. Oh well, I think the accelerator pedal in my '08 Cobalt looks pretty close to that of my '81 Citation. :LOL:

I first used a similar convex mirror to the one reviewed here on a car I bought while living in Japan years ago. With the narrow roads they're great for keeping track of what's going on around you. I saw a question on night visibility and these mirrors don't have the ability to tilt and use the reflection off the front surface of the glass instead of the reflective mirrored coating on the back of the glass like the stock mirror and I don't think I've seen any affordable, curved/convex electro-chromatic mirrors, but this style ends up working pretty well. Because objects are smaller and it isn't focusing all the light directly into your face even cars with high beams on behind you or lifted trucks aren't any worse (for me) than they are with the regular mirror titled to night mode.

One thing I'll add about this mirror's mounting system, I've purchased other ones with the exact same expanding clip system and in extreme summer heat of the desert the adhesive on the little rubber and foam pads always end up coming undone and the mirror would fall off. I ended up bending the upper movable metal clips slight downward to create more of a hook and super glued on some other rubber foam pads I cut from weatherstripping and it's held up well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That actually seems to be a great increase in safety. What about at night with the lights of vehicles behind you?
It isn't a problem. And I would agree, it does increase safety. Blackbird is spot-on in his comments about the reason for not needing the tilt function.

I always have a Broadway in my cars. At least when I bought mine, 270mm was also a size option (I use the flat ones).
I corrected the review to add that, since it is still an option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just fyi bit Walmart sells a clip on convex mirror that functions just fine and does not interfere with visors. $12.99

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts