Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, after greatly anticipating a family hauler that might be more than a touch of fun here in the near future, it appears that I will no longer be getting the ST. :(

My wife found out yesterday that her largest long-term contract has dried up (about 40% of her income).

I still have to get a people carrier, so I'll likely still be getting a new car, but probably something more common that I can lease for less money. This is going to be tough, since it'll be the first shitbox handler I've owned in almost fifteen years of working in/around motorsports. It may be the first car I hate in quite awhile.

There is still an outside chance the ST is possible depending on how good/bad the lease residuals look, but I'm not thinking its likely.

In order to recoup my $500 deposit, I am considering a Fiesta or a lesser Focus, but will go elsewhere if need be. Or, if someone in/around Austin wants an already-ordered ST at about invoice w/ a GoPro, just lemme know and we'll figure it out.

Obviously, I am bummed, and will miss the fun, the education, and even the head butting here. But I'll be checking in for a little while longer just to see y'all's pictures and delivery/driving stories. Can't wait to live vicariously through you guys soon!

-E

·
Registered
495 Posts
Your deposit is refundable, no matter what they say. Do not accept giving away 500$.

FWIW, the base focus handles quite well and isn't a total dog in the power department.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Keep your head up! Things will work out :thumb:

·
Registered
786 Posts
People I know who own the Fiesta love it. As long as you can live with the size, I'd take a serious look at it. As far as leaving the forum, why? You are still gonna love cars, ain't cha? :D

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My wife has a Fiesta. It's a fun car and I'm 5 7 so I fit just fine. I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Well dang, Eric, I hate to hear this! There are few things worse than having to drive a certain kind of car because you HAVE to. I am hoping the residuals work out but in the meantime, why not get a used car that fits the bill and save up for the ST in the future?
Like a lightly used one or a 2014?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Damn it man. Sux. Your knowledge has been very much appreciated around here. I hope you stick around and stay involved even if you don't get an ST. Good luck with the finances.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Damn it man. Sux. Your knowledge has been very much appreciated around here. I hope you stick around and stay involved even if you don't get an ST. Good luck with the finances.
If it will help, me and Josh will form a caravan to Austin and do ceremonial burnouts in your driveway. No charge.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Whelp, I'm pretty butthurt about this.

Reactions: Nex Deus

·
Vendor
225 Posts
Sadly, after greatly anticipating a family hauler that might be more than a touch of fun here in the near future, it appears that I will no longer be getting the ST. :(

My wife found out yesterday that her largest long-term contract has dried up (about 40% of her income).

I still have to get a people carrier, so I'll likely still be getting a new car, but probably something more common that I can lease for less money. This is going to be tough, since it'll be the first shitbox handler I've owned in almost fifteen years of working in/around motorsports. It may be the first car I hate in quite awhile.

There is still an outside chance the ST is possible depending on how good/bad the lease residuals look, but I'm not thinking its likely.

In order to recoup my $500 deposit, I am considering a Fiesta or a lesser Focus, but will go elsewhere if need be. Or, if someone in/around Austin wants an already-ordered ST at about invoice w/ a GoPro, just lemme know and we'll figure it out.

Obviously, I am bummed, and will miss the fun, the education, and even the head butting here. But I'll be checking in for a little while longer just to see y'all's pictures and delivery/driving stories. Can't wait to live vicariously through you guys soon!

-E
Eric - You can always come by the shop for a ride in mine or the COBB ST if you want!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your deposit is refundable, no matter what they say. Do not accept giving away 500$.

FWIW, the base focus handles quite well and isn't a total dog in the power department.
Yeah. I'm feeling down and the fight is out of me right now, but you're right. Although if I buy a Fiesta it may work out for both me and the dealer. :)

I wish the base Focus pleased me in regard to pick up power, but at this point I'm going to have to live with whatever I decide and none of them are too zippy, minus a base Rogue (if I can get past the ugly) or a base Sonata (if I don't shoot myself for having to drive a slush box).

Keep your head up! Things will work out :thumb:
Thank you! Life happens. Just been happening a lot for us lately. This town is killing me and we're ready to get the hell out. Austin is a great place to live, no doubt. And its a great place to work if you're in the tech industry. But if you're a creative, marketer or writer, salaries here are 50-75% of what we can get elsewhere because the workforce here is overeducated and underemployed, and employers are taking full advantage of that while younger folks are working for pennies on the dollar or even for free. I love the feel of this town, but I really hate it sometimes. They've effectively priced out anyone from central and any service workers/non-upper income folks are now pushed to the burbs. Austin is no longer as "affordable" as they say it is. MUCH worse than the rest of Texas with MUCH lower salaries.

Eyes on Atlanta right now with a couple leads, and maybe Houston, if forced to. ;)

People I know who own the Fiesta love it. As long as you can live with the size, I'd take a serious look at it. As far as leaving the forum, why? You are still gonna love cars, ain't cha? :D
I'm gonna go drive one and see if the ol' kiddos will fit okay in the back.

Well dang, Eric, I hate to hear this! There are few things worse than having to drive a certain kind of car because you HAVE to. I am hoping the residuals work out but in the meantime, why not get a used car that fits the bill and save up for the ST in the future?
Like a lightly used one or a 2014?
I may go used, Rev., but since having kids, I have this (probably illogical) fear of getting stranded without a car where I have to take one to work and my wife is stuck unable to get the kids out in case of an emergency. I may have to get over that. :)

This hurts my heart
Aw, its all good. We've seen worse. Just not recently! Thank you for the empathy.

Oh, I'll be around. I'm dying to see y'all talk about the deliveries!

If it will help, me and Josh will form a caravan to Austin and do ceremonial burnouts in your driveway. No charge.
When y'all get your STs, maybe I can invite y'all over for some track time on me over near my 'hood. I can still pull those strings. :D

Eric - You can always come by the shop for a ride in mine or the COBB ST if you want!
Oh I'm all over that, Braden! I think I mentioned it before, but I'm literally about a mile and a half from y'all. Thank you!

·
Registered
786 Posts
. Austin is no longer as "affordable" as they say it is. MUCH worse than the rest of Texas with MUCH lower salaries.

Eyes on Atlanta right now with a couple leads, and maybe Houston, if forced to. ;)
Houston is just like Austin! ......except for the 102% humidity.....oh, and the 2 lb misquitoes......and the lack of any decnt music scene.....and....well....ok, it's not really like Austin.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Sucks Eric! I feel your pain. Twice now I've had my heart set on a car, first the Acura Integra Type R then the Volvo C30 and in both cases things came up financially that made cars the least of my concerns.

Maybe buy something to fill the void that you can unload and buy a RS in three years?!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Houston is just like Austin! ......except for the 102% humidity.....oh, and the 2 lb misquitoes......and the lack of any decnt music scene.....and....well....ok, it's not really like Austin.
lol. Except Houston pays better. And you can also find more affordable housing closer in. I mean, to a point. The pockets of goodness in Houston are going to cost, but the pay is definitely better in our fields.

My wife got a job offer she declined a few months ago in Forth Worth that was about 30% more than her previously identical job in Austin. It really does suck here for non-tech workers and a few select folks in other fields.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sucks Eric! I feel your pain. Twice now I've had my heart set on a car, first the Acura Integra Type R then the Volvo C30 and in both cases things came up financially that made cars the least of my concerns.

Maybe buy something to fill the void that you can unload and buy a RS in three years?!
:thumb: I like THAT idea!! :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Obviously the ST is the least of your concerns, hope things turn around for your family.

But as for cars, there's plenty of CPO deals to be had on cars you won't hate forever (GTI and GLI especially). Hopefully something will work out for you.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts