Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
It seems to me like every single review that mentions the global platform makes a specific mention of the tires being the same. What's up with that?

·
Registered
373 Posts
A puff piece, to be honest. The only thing useful from the typical automags are the comparison tests, where you can at least understand how cars rate against each other. First drive reviews are just full of glowing comments typically, and all negatives are downplayed.

The Jalopnik review is the most useful one to date.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It seems to me like every single review that mentions the global platform makes a specific mention of the tires being the same. What's up with that?
That's really rare. Heck , typically there are different brand tires on a platform from region to region in the States. That'd why you'll get warranty cards from several manufactures with your owners manual sometimes. Fact that'd its the same WORLDWIDE is very rare.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's really rare. Heck , typically there are different brand tires on a platform from region to region in the States. That'd why you'll get warranty cards from several manufactures with your owners manual sometimes. Fact that'd its the same WORLDWIDE is very rare.
I get that it's rare...but it's TIRES. Didn't think they'd get so excited about tires.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think that all these first drives took place at the same time over in France so at this point I'm more curious to see the comparisons later this year when the reviewers have the final version of the ST. But it doesn't matter how they turn out because it still wouldn't change my mind about buying the ST. There will always be a better car, I just want my ST to be a good car. :thumb:

·
Registered
283 Posts
As much as I hated the author's writing style, and Gawker in general, I've gotta agree with you. It's pretty descriptive and covers more than these "First Drives".
Jack that is a very good point. I didn't like the Jalopnik review, however these other reviews are all basically the same.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I get that it's rare...but it's TIRES. Didn't think they'd get so excited about tires.
Possibly because almost every other car in this class and price point comes with some kind of horrible all-season rubber that grips about as well as the drunk cheerleader fresh out of the oil pit wrestling ring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only thing useful from the typical automags are the comparison tests, where you can at least understand how cars rate against each other.
Like this
car_photo_533875_25.jpg

Ford Focus ST vs rivals
We see if the new Focus ST can live up to the Ford hot hatch legend as it tackles the Renaultsport Megane 265 and VW Golf GTI Edtion 35

Read more: Ford Focus ST vs rivals | Group Tests | Auto Express

The GTI always receives positives on its interior (simplicity) but for me after my 1st experience in the MK3 Focus interior, everything else is old and boring.
The GTI in my eyes never changes, and it just way too conservative looking for my taste.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The ST can't compare to Europe's hottest hatches in performance. In handling, maybe it has them all beat for now, with it's magical traction capabilities. But performance wise, Ford won't have a real competitor until they make the RS.

But those super hot Euro hatches won't be available here, so the competition in the US is limited to the GTI, Golf R, MS3 and WRX. It might hold it's own against those. The higher end Megane 265s are priced about the same as a 370z, and are about as practical. I'd take the 370z if I was at that price point in the market and could find a use for a small 2 door hatch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts