Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the Performance Academy in SF today to test the ST. It's a peppy little thing. However, I wasn't really impressed with the cargo area when the back seats are folded down. Or should I say partially folded down because they certainly don't lay flat (or even close for that matter). And sticking up the highest are the headrests, waiting to be poked or stained by any cargo item they come in contact with. I'm not trying to shove a piece of 4x8' plywood back there, but it would be nice if my golf clubs could be pushed in without worrying about snagging/ripping my leather headrests. Also I hope that WeatherTech comes out with a mat system to replace not only the floor mats, but the cargo area as well, because I don't have longterm hopes for the carpeting that they've chosen to line it with.
I have to agree with those that have chosen performance blue as the best color, it popped on a cloudy day whereas the other colors didn't. And I liked the wheels much more in person than I thought I would after only having seen internet pictures of them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've seen a pic somewhere on here that showed the seats going all the way down but I don't know how. I have a Titanium now and haven't been able to figure it out though I haven't spent much time on it. I think the rear headrests may have to come out for them to fold all the way down. The rear seats (where your butt rests) come up towards the front seats but I don't know how much that helps. I agree with the golf clubs fitting a bit easier haha. But I'm glad you said that about the wheels because I think these wheels fit this car perfectly. Seems almost everyone on here is gonna put ugly ass wheels on it straight off the showroom floor but to each his (or her) own I guess. Blue was my second choice but I went with white. Glad you got to drive it, I'm jealous. Hope it sounded as good as it does on all these clips!

·
Registered
495 Posts
if you take the rear headrests off and put them in the footwell they will lay fat (you can't put the front seats all the way back though, you lose a couple inches). I use it all the time and it works great.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah I just found that out first hand in my car, kind of annoying you gotta take out the headrests but still really cool to have flat seats!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah, the bottoms of the back seat flip up, then you take off the headrests, then you can fold the seats flat.

It turns into a decent amount of cargo room, but you still have to keep in mind that it is a small car to begin with.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I was playing with the seats at the Performance Academy in Boston. I have a 09 Focus Sedan so it still has more cargo room (with the seats down) than I'm use to so I think I'll be happy with it. The carpet seems similar to what's in my current Focus and that has held up splendidly to all sorts of abuse including several trips to home depot picking up stone and cinder blocks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Downside of a hatch: having to fold the rear seats to fit golf clubs back there. Sedans fit clubs in the trunk without an issue. Lame.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Also I hope that WeatherTech comes out with a mat system to replace not only the floor mats, but the cargo area as well, because I don't have longterm hopes for the carpeting that they've chosen to line it with.
The dimensions are the same as the current Focus in production, and Ford makes all-weather mat replacements for the interior and cargo area.
Floor Mats - All-Weather Vinyl, Black Dual Clip Retention | The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories
Cargo Area Protector - Black 4-Door With Subwoofer | The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I have the Weathertech mats and the OEM trunk liner as well as the OEM winter mats (came with the winter package) and the Weathertech are far better in that they offer superior coverage.

OEM cargo mat is ok but flimsy compared to the Weathertech material

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have the Weathertech mats and the OEM trunk liner as well as the OEM winter mats (came with the winter package) and the Weathertech are far better in that they offer superior coverage.

OEM cargo mat is ok but flimsy compared to the Weathertech material
And OEM don't cover squat. Tossed them first 15 minutes. Have the Husky liners and trunk liner. Great coverage especially for dead pedal (or lack thereof) area

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Agreed. The OEM mats are old school coverage.

On the go via Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was kind of disappointed with the cargo area on the car I saw at the Performance Academy.

The carpet looked cheap and the integration of the subwoofer looked like a total afterthought.

I guess I am spoiled somewhat. I am coming from a 2003 Toyota Matrix that has plastic cargo floor and seat back and the seats fold flat along with the passenger seat that folds completely flat. The hatch glass also opens which is really useful.

As others have stated, a Weather Tech cargo mat will solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Do you know anyone that makes a cargo area liner for the ST that also fully covers the back of the rear seats when they are folded down flat? Perhaps a hinged type liner that folds over on itself when the seats are up, but flips over when the seats are down to cover the entire area. If so, a link would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
With the seats folded all the way would a mountain bike fit laid on the side?
With a quick-removable wheel I suspect it would fit. However, not all mountain bikes are the same size, so you may need to do further research. For reference, I can get my 16 year old son's bmx/trick bike in the back of a Focus sedan (with the seats down and the front wheel removed), and with a hatch you can get a much larger bike in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this post, but this photo from another thread shows how to fold flats the st rear seats. Just making sure that a potential buyer reading this thread is not put off by the inquiring question. Photo #19 of 46:

2013 New Ford Focus 5dr HB ST at Watertown Ford, MA, IID 9209593

PS head rests definetely need to be removed

Reactions: plokster

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Since this thread was already updated today, I'll go ahead and bump for my question about a cargo mat that covers the whole area when the rear seats are folded flat...

Do you know anyone that makes a cargo area liner for the ST that also fully covers the back of the rear seats when they are folded down flat? Perhaps a hinged type liner that folds over on itself when the seats are up, but flips over when the seats are down to cover the entire area. If so, a link would be appreciated. Thanks.
I would like to have the mat protect the whole area, even when the seats are folded flat.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Any suggestions for a third-party carpet mat? The Weathertech stuff looks great -- except I don't usually want plastic/rubber/vinyl. Very functional, but not as appealing to me. Who makes a good soft-touch replacement for the Ford mats?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts