1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm hoping that perception will change the closer we get to September. It's frustrating to read reviews that mention the MS3, GTI, BRZ, etc. but leave out all mention of the ST. I demand smackdowns, dammit! :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just wait until owners of the MS3 get sick of that stupid face on the front of the car and grow out of the boy racer phase.

The ST base and ST2 are the same price as the MS3 and the MS3 with tech package. However, the MS3 gets worse gas mileage than a WRX and both of those car interiors and tech pale in comparison.

I think we are going to see alot of converts from these cars to the ST.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just wait until owners of the MS3 get sick of that stupid face on the front of the car and grow out of the boy racer phase.

The ST base and ST2 are the same price as the MS3 and the MS3 with tech package. However, the MS3 gets worse gas mileage than a WRX and both of those car interiors and tech pale in comparison.

I think we are going to see alot of converts from these cars to the ST.
The MS3 was last updated in 2010. I'd bet that if they keep it, it will get a noticable bump in power next year (2010 updated didn't bump power at all). The WRX is all new next year as well, on a totally new frame, have no idea where they are going with that.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm not surprised that a car that you can't even get yet is way behind in the poll. Especially a model that has never been seen on American shores in its previous incarnations. Especially a FWD car in an auto press that's decidedly hostile to FWD. Unless it comes from VW.

Here are some interesting things about the poll. The BRZ gets a lot more votes than the FRS, WHICH IS THE SAME EXACT CAR. The V6 Camaro and Mustangs are neck and neck with the IRS Chebby deservedly outpolling the 'Stang. If the Camaro was a similar size to the ST and had a useable trunk opening, I'd have one already. It and the Mustang are so bloated, they are cars out of time...which they kind of advertise themselves to be.

FWD cars of all stripes are not considered "sports cars". They are considered to be in a related but separate class: "hot hatches".

While the ST has gotten pretty glowy reviews, it really hasn't been compared head to head with the BRZ/FRS or GTI or MS3 under controlled conditions. The MS3 wins on horsepower, the BRZ wins on being RWD (a rarity at the price point), and the GTI wins on being from a German manufacturer absent head to head quantitative comparisons on the ST's major asset: handling and midrange torque.

If we see the ST kicking the crap out of BRZ/FRSes at the track, I bet a similar poll a year from now will look very different.

And I can't forget the thing that gearheads harp on with the ST. Lack of mechanical LSD. Never mind that the brake based torque vectoring is a more controlled and reliable way to get power to the correct wheel for 99 percent of why you want an LSD. It doesn't matter.

Other than the auto press, which has only produced puff pieces so far, the ST has not had it's chance to earn its reputation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts