1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
417 Posts
I totally recommend being patient on this one. There will be alot of research and development going on in the first year on the ST when tuners get their hands on them. You will be very happy you did. I'm sure there will be some great bolt-ons and tunes on the market much sooner.

Magnaflow has a CAD rendering...looks good. Nice size dual tips, looks like 2.5 in tubing all the way through, 2 inline mufflers, slip-fit joints. Really long hanger on the right though.

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

$657, free-shipping on Catbackshack. I hate buying exhausts w/o hearing it first, but I'm tempted...

Magnaflow 15155 CatBack Exhaust System - The Catback Shack

Anyone find anything else out there?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally recommend being patient on this one. There will be alot of research and development going on in the first year on the ST when tuners get their hands on them. You will be very happy you did. I'm sure there will be some great bolt-ons and tunes on the market much sooner.
I would recommend that to myself too. But I can't say that I don't have an itch...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Features and Benefits: Lifetime Warranty, Dyno Tested And Proven To Make Power, Performance Gains In Horsepower And Torque, Great Sound -Has A Smooth; Deep Tone, Easy To Install, Mandrel-Bent. All Welded. Built To Last.

Does Magnaflow have a ST???

·
Registered
417 Posts
Once you add your first mod there will be many many more to follow. I bet anyone they can't add one mod and then never mod their car again. It's too addictive :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt they have a ST. They probably just took a base Focus exhaust and filled in the blanks. I bet the hangars and catalytic converter are in the same location. Really you just need a couple measurements to locate the center exhaust exit.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I doubt they have a ST. They probably just took a base Focus exhaust and filled in the blanks. I bet the hangars and catalytic converter are in the same location. Really you just need a couple measurements to locate the center exhaust exit.
I'm not sure what the performance benefit of a full cat-back exhaust will be. The owner's manual states that the stock exhaust on the ST is also 2.5". A cheaper option might be to just get a high-flow mufler and resonator.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm not sure what the performance benefit of a full cat-back exhaust will be. The owner's manual states that the stock exhaust on the ST is also 2.5". A cheaper option might be to just get a high-flow mufler and resonator.
Correct, there would be no performance benefit with JUST a cat-back system. Generally, the flow restriction occurs at the catalytic converter. For that reason, cat-back systems will not void manufacturer warranty either.

The mufflers are a straight-through design which is the best you get other than a muffler delete/straight pipe. But you will need high-flow cats and possibly a downpipe to see any increased flow.

Reactions: Rev.Hammer

·
Registered
440 Posts
On a Turbo Car Downpipe back for best results!! 3" all the way back

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
You are VERY right, Fast! A well designed exhaust has to be looked at as WHOLE systems and not a hodgepodge of parts.
3" will give a good growth potential with future mods and be nearly 'invisible' to the turbo allowing a faster spinup.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Got cat-back for my WRX. Loved it......for about a year. Then I started wishing that my cruises down the highway weren't so damn loud. Constant droaning. Sure it sounds good when I accelerate, but man does it get tiring. Personally looking forward to a quiet ride and like the idea of the sound symposer. Guess I'm getting old.

·
Registered
742 Posts
First, this is a repost: http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-performance/711-im-just-going-leave-right-here-v-cat-back.html

Second, I'm fairly confident that if Magnaflow says it will make more power, then it probably will. They've got a good reputation and good designers/engineers working on their stuff. The question for me is always is it a cost effective investment, and in this case, I suspect it won't be. Assuming it costs what other cat back systems cost, and assuming it makes similar gains in performance, it's just not worth the coin. If/when someone produces a downpipe kit with a larger diameter exhaust, then maybe, just maybe it'll be worth it. But I still wonder given that the stock turbo already builds boost insanely quick (compared to yesteryear) and isn't all that big, whether any exhaust upgrade will be worth the coin in terms of performance gains. Once bigger turbos become an option though, watch out!

BTW, I suppose I might consider an exhaust that would wake up the sound of the ST a little down low, but nothing terribly aggressive. With that in mind, I might look at substituting a Borla or Magnaflow muffler for the stock muffler (I actually prefer Borla typically).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Once you add your first mod there will be many many more to follow. I bet anyone they can't add one mod and then never mod their car again. It's too addictive :)
I'm still decently new to the car scene in general, Ive never really modded a car (unless you count sound systems) and I'm super excited to get my hands on the ST, I have so much planned for it. :thumb:

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Got cat-back for my WRX. Loved it......for about a year. Then I started wishing that my cruises down the highway weren't so damn loud. Constant droaning. Sure it sounds good when I accelerate, but man does it get tiring. Personally looking forward to a quiet ride and like the idea of the sound symposer. Guess I'm getting old.
Had the same thing with my old Focus.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the same drone with my Mustang with it's exhaust system. Sounds like a monster when I'm accelerating from stop lights etc and cruising around the city but after a couple of hours on the highway it starts to get tiring for me as well. I don't think I'd put anything that loud on the ST since I plan on using it for long trips and as more of a daily driver. I want it to growl when accelerating mostly and then when it's cruising it can be quiet so I'll wait and see what the aftermarket comes out with and what other people do.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I also dislike the Exhaust on my SVTF now... I see a pattern starting. Drone is nasty and it burbles and pops when downshifting and hanging revs. Yes to most they go awesome!! and yes it sounds like a rally car but honestly it gets old and at 27 years old it is embarrasing.

May just buy a DP. Who knows how restrictive the stock setup really is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts