Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I wanted to do a little write up about the CP-E Stage II RMM.

Replacing the stock RMM is one of the first mods you will want to do when you buy a Focus ST. There are a few reasons to install this mount:

1. You want a smoother shift in all gears - You don't want the engine to feel like its flopping around. I hated this feeling before my install
  2. You want to get rid of 90% of the wheel hop
  3. You don't want to hear a loud bang from 1-2-3
  4. If you plan on doing performance upgrades - One thing I noticed when I install the COBB AP is the increased wheel hop and bang without the CP-E RMM install
STock Removal

CP-E mount installed:

I've had mine installed for about 4,000 miles.

I can definitely testify that their mount does everything it promises, and meets my needs. I hated that terrible bang sound, and I wanted more traction on launches. This mount does it for me. The bang is now a thud, and the wheel hope is nearly all gone (with the winter tires, so I don't if it will go away completely with the summers back on the car).

Now, the answer to the question everyone wants to know..Vibrations. When you first install this mount there are noticeable vibrations. However, this goes away significantly once there a few hundred miles on the mount. After 4000 miles, on a cold start you will notice slight vibrations. Also slight vibrations on launches. These vibrations are nothing compared to another mount I had installed (I won't say the name, just out of respect.). I will say there... I don't care which mount you install, everyone of them will make more vibrations over the stock mount. But, what I can say is the vibrations I feel with this mount is very mild, and not noticeable after a cold start.

Install:
You can do it in a few hours. I've read that some have installed it in about an hour. If you have all the tools required and recommended, then the install shouldn't be a problem. The down-pipe bracket is a pain, but just pull on it as hard as you can, and it will clear. The instructions included a very clear, and descriptive.

Happy Motoring,

Chad

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Sock Mount is doing well...thank you very much! :yay:

...Its cold in the basement, and my fingers are not moving right. :D
...My cat walked on the keyboard
..it was ghosts!

Reactions: Scrming

·
Registered
407 Posts
I might have to go this route also. I do have a aftermarket 80 mount on but after I got the AP with added power, the bang and wheel hop are back.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for the review, Chad. I can't wait to install mine when the weather warms up a bit. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got mine installed last night. Vibes increased for sure, but not unbearable (for me). At cruise, if I wasn't specifically feeling for the vibes, I'd likely forget it was there.

Keeping in mind that I have less than 10 miles on it right now, the car now has a case of a shuddering when starting off from a standing stop. I've tried this by quick and slow clutch release -- the car always chatters when the clutch engages (if anyone has ever had a chattering clutch - it feels like that). Will this eventually settle down and I get mileage into the mount?

BTW - I know some folks said this install was easy, but I found it a real challenging one -- the top mount for the bracket attaching to the tranny was hard as heck to reach (both getting out and even harder getting back in).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Got mine installed last night. Vibes increased for sure, but not unbearable (for me). At cruise, if I wasn't specifically feeling for the vibes, I'd likely forget it was there.

Keeping in mind that I have less than 10 miles on it right now, the car now has a case of a shuddering when starting off from a standing stop. I've tried this by quick and slow clutch release -- the car always chatters when the clutch engages (if anyone has ever had a chattering clutch - it feels like that). Will this eventually settle down and I get mileage into the mount?

BTW - I know some folks said this install was easy, but I found it a real challenging one -- the top mount for the bracket attaching to the tranny was hard as heck to reach (both getting out and even harder getting back in).
How did you end up getting the top mount in and out? Sounds like a pain...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It will subside. In the meantime, you can compensate by using slightly higher RPMs before letting the clutch out in 1st. If you are interested, you can read my 450 mile followup on the RMM here.

·
Registered
650 Posts
A note on the install, remove ALL the nuts for the downpipe bracket and it falls off. You want both the nuts which directly attach the bracket and the secondary bracket attached to the motor mount. With all of the nuts loose (6 total) you can easily move the bracket on and off.

·
Registered
253 Posts
How did you end up getting the top mount in and out? Sounds like a pain...
I got the top bolt out with a ratcheting wrench. There was enough room on the OE bracket that I could rotate the wrench from about the 3-o'clock toward about a 1-o'clock position (if you were look directly at the bolt from behind, which you can't physically do, but I'm using this as a point of reference.)

My ratcheting 15mm wrench, however wouldn't fit in that position when I was trying to get the cp-e bracket in due the beefier design. In fact, my ratcheting wrench wouldn't fit at all. So I ended up using a conventional wrench (boxed-end, 12 pt) and actually had to tighten it from about the 10 o'clock to 1 o'clock positions, again if you were looking at the bolt from the rear. This puts the wrench to the LEFT of the downpipe as you're working it. I got it about halfway tightened down, took a break, then finished that bolt off. The other parts of the install weren't so bad. It was just that one bolt! :)

It will subside. In the meantime, you can compensate by using slightly higher RPMs before letting the clutch out in 1st. If you are interested, you can read my 450 mile followup on the RMM here.
Cool, thanks. Makes me feel better. :) I figured it would settle, but I'd mostly heard comments about "vibrations" vs. what feels more like chatter to me right now. But good to know you know exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
253 Posts
A note on the install, remove ALL the nuts for the downpipe bracket and it falls off. You want both the nuts which directly attach the bracket and the secondary bracket attached to the motor mount. With all of the nuts loose (6 total) you can easily move the bracket on and off.
Hmm -- I got all six bolts off and mine didn't actually "fall off". It did with a little persuasion! But it wasn't that hard to get on or off. On might have been a little more challenging since you're trying to maneuver two brackets at the same time. But it was off in seconds, and on in seconds.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got the top bolt out with a ratcheting wrench. There was enough room on the OE bracket that I could rotate the wrench from about the 3-o'clock toward about a 1-o'clock position (if you were look directly at the bolt from behind, which you can't physically do, but I'm using this as a point of reference.)

My ratcheting 15mm wrench, however wouldn't fit in that position when I was trying to get the cp-e bracket in due the beefier design. In fact, my ratcheting wrench wouldn't fit at all. So I ended up using a conventional wrench (boxed-end, 12 pt) and actually had to tighten it from about the 10 o'clock to 1 o'clock positions, again if you were looking at the bolt from the rear. This puts the wrench to the LEFT of the downpipe as you're working it. I got it about halfway tightened down, took a break, then finished that bolt off. The other parts of the install weren't so bad. It was just that one bolt! :)

Cool, thanks. Makes me feel better. :) I figured it would settle, but I'd mostly heard comments about "vibrations" vs. what feels more like chatter to me right now. But good to know you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Ugh, that sounds painful. I hope to replace with an E-Focus RMM this weekend. Were you able to get a torque wrench in there or did you tighten by feel?

·
Registered
253 Posts
If I were to guess, I think the eFocus mount will be easier since I actually could get my ratcheting wrench to that upper bolt. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend one for any RMM install. 15mm one.

I couldn't get a torque wrench onto the bolts holding the bracket to the tranny. But I could get to the bolt holding the RMM to the frame of the car as well as the bolt holding the RMM to the bracket itself. Both of those bolts are easy to get to.

The install is very doable -- don't stress too much about it. Take your time and you'll be fine. Some guys are real fast (< 1 hour). But I'm one of those that takes twice the estimated amount of time on pretty much every install. :)

Just got my Cobb Knob. I'm sure it'll take me an hour! ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
If I were to guess, I think the eFocus mount will be easier since I actually could get my ratcheting wrench to that upper bolt. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend one for any RMM install. 15mm one.

I couldn't get a torque wrench onto the bolts holding the bracket to the tranny. But I could get to the bolt holding the RMM to the frame of the car as well as the bolt holding the RMM to the bracket itself. Both of those bolts are easy to get to.

The install is very doable -- don't stress too much about it. Take your time and you'll be fine. Some guys are real fast (< 1 hour). But I'm one of those that takes twice the estimated amount of time on pretty much every install. :)

Just got my Cobb Knob. I'm sure it'll take me an hour! ;)
It sounds like a tight squeeze, so I'll use the torque wrench where I can. It looks relatively straightforward - I just hope the bolts haven't seized up after a long and salty winter. I'm like you, I definitely take my time 'cause there's no need to rush, and I'm definitely more of a mod noobie if you will.

LOL regarding the Cobb knob install. I installed it last week - 2 thumbs up!

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was almost 70 F today. I tested the mount. Zero Bang, or wheel hop. I highly recommend this mount. If you are going to pull the down pipe bracket off, and such. It stands to reason, why not change the whole mount.

Chad

·
Registered
253 Posts
What are the vibes like now Chad?

Believe it or not -- I installed this . . . um April 16th? I still have less than 10 miles on the new RMM! (I've been away on business travel.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Got mine installed this weekend, and I have to say I love it overall. The best thing is that when you actually punch the throttle, the car accelerates instantly now (instead of the tiny lag you get from the engine swaying). On the first startup, I definitely noticed the vibrations. The vibes are also present when you rev the engine around 1000-1200 RPMs when starting off, not enough to really bother me though. The car definitely feels like it's putting more power to the ground efficiently in sport mode (no more wheel hop)!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Got to try Chad's out and had the guys from CP-E in my car to compare firmness of the mount and vibration.

What I took away from it is you must make sure that the mount is tightened to spec to minimize vibration.

Chad's iPad less vibe than mine. Mine has less vibe than the CP-E car. The difference, mileage on the mount.

Had several people try it out in my car so they could see what the start up / tip in vibe is all about.

If you're serious about addressing the 1-2 bang and wheel hop, the CP-E is the mount you want.

Should note that there is a stage one mount by CP-E now as well.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What are the vibes like now Chad?

Believe it or not -- I installed this . . . um April 16th? I still have less than 10 miles on the new RMM! (I've been away on business travel.)

Same as everyone's experience for the most part. Minimal Vibes. Only on start up and 1st gear engagement

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just installed mine. Definitely the first time I have ever wished I had ratchet wrenches!!
I still have a little thud between the 1-2 shift, but the overall is so much better. It's hard to believe how 'flimsy" the factory mount is. my car has 800km on it, and I could easily move it by hand. Still can't believe ford didn't find a better solution to this??? Ah well, Nice Job CP-E! Sure to be the first of many purchases from you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts