Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
We should get Ford to open source the MFT code. People could make their own variants; free labor for bug fixes and interfaces changes.

We're not talking about the engine controller or ABS/torque vectoring/TC/hill start here, so there shouldn't be liability issues -- especially if you release it with a"warranty void if you're not running the official version" disclaimer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ford's auto tech will accept open source modules - News - Linux for Devices

But Ford is clearly eager to open up its Sync system, and the automaker used the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco Sept. 12 to announce a collaboration with open source provider Bug Labs. The jointly developed Open XC platform "transforms the car into a plug-and-play platform where interchangeable open source hardware and software modules can be quickly and easily customized to perform tasks deemed previously unimaginable by developers
As we review later in this story, Sync is Windows CE-based. On the other hand, Bug Labs' BugBase -- shown at the center above along with a variety of BugModules -- runs Linux on a Texas Instruments Cortex-A8-based OMAP3530 system-on-chip (SoC) clocked at 600MHz.

Linux on my Ford? Yes, please. This article was from 2011 - where is this today, how can I get one, please take my money, etc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ford's auto tech will accept open source modules - News - Linux for Devices

Linux on my Ford? Yes, please. This article was from 2011 - where is this today, how can I get one, please take my money, etc.

That would be great if this comes true. I imagine Ford has to be working on a new version of MFT. I'm sure we will eventually see Ford add a web browser as promised and Applink for vehicles equipped with MFT. Speaking of the web browser, it was supposed to be on MFT over a year ago but for unknown reasons, it hasn't been added to MFT yet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
They can't even get the radio to work right, I can only imagine how inept a web browser would be. My radio presets show FM stations and highlighted 96.5 even though I'm listening to AM station 610. Other times the presets, as mentioned before here, are blank. Usually switching between radio and another source fixes it but allowing basic bugs like this, the rear view warning, loops in the voice recognition where it gets stuck disregarding whatever you say(have to cancel listen then start listen over or the sync lady just keep repeating help no matter what you say), etc. is unprecedented in technology today.

I've said it before, the homebrew community has done this right for years ,I can't imagine why big companies like Ford and Microsoft can't get it done.

Hopefully we will be surprised with another overhaul update late this year as speculated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
630 Posts
I agree. I don't care about the web browser. I just want a better working MFT. I haven't had too many issues, but I do see little glitches here and there often. Today, my rear camera screen was stuck on the same view all the way to work. Last week, all my buttons turned red and the only fix was a master reset. One issue I've had lately is all my playlists on my iPod don't show up on MFT for some reason. To select a playlists that's not shown, I have to disconnect the iPod and select it from there, then hook it back up. One issue that drives me nuts is pushing a button like the information button doesn't always work. I'll touch it like 3-4 times and it doesn't do anything. Then all of a sudden, the information screen pops up and goes whacky.

It really is in Ford's best interest to get a sufficient version out there ASAP. I'm sure the negativity that surrounds MFT has hurt them in potential sales.

·
Registered
279 Posts
After spending the past 24 hours with a lot of hands on Windows 8 Desktop and Tablet, I would REALLY love to see them use the metro interface for MFT. Its very quick, functional and looks nice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Android does lag. That's been one of the biggest knocks about the Android OS. Just do a simple google search and you will find hundreds of articles about it. It shows in speed tests as well versus phones that have lesser hardware specs such as an iPhone. Even ICS lags. The main reason for lag is how Android OS treats UI rendering. There is more to it, but I will stop there. I don't want to turn this into a Android vs iOS pissing contest. Back to Ford, the biggest issue with MFT is the use of Flash. Many people want to put the blame on Microsoft, but Windows CE isn't the problem. Poor third party programming and using flash are the main culprits of MFT. Rumor now says Ford is rebuilding MFT on a Windows 8 variant.
I don't mean to argue in favor of anything here. But As of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, the lag found in the os has been completely eliminated. Spending time with a modern Android device running Jelly Bean (Nexus phones/tablets) will prove such, or just Google "Project Butter"

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't mean to argue in favor of anything here. But As of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, the lag found in the os has been completely eliminated. Spending time with a modern Android device running Jelly Bean (Nexus phones/tablets) will prove such, or just Google "Project Butter"
+1 when criticizing it pays dividends to be current

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was basing my criticism on Ice Cream Sandwich. I haven't used a Nexus phone yet that's running Jelly Bean. The Galaxy S3 is still running ICS, so I found it to lag. I guess Sprint is the only carrier now offering the 4.1 upgrade for S3 users. I have been reading reviews about 4.1 They do say the lag is much improved now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The main thing is MFT responds slower than any phone and/or ios/android/palm/etc. I've ever used. I think every is in agreement that MFT will be going windows 8 RT, it's a perfect fit as it supports the ARM processor and the gui/interface is almost tailor made for a carpc interface.

The question I now have is will Ford/Microsoft bring a windows 8 version as a full OS update to existing MFT or will they be making it for future MFT systems/hardware only. AFAIK all updates to mft have been exactly that updates. Do they have a reliable system in place to do a full Os change without risk of consumers bricking it or a massive amount of people having to take it to service for the update, as Ford knows every time it goes to service they get hit negative for reliability..

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
630 Posts
I believe the current hardware can handle a Windows 8 version of MFT. MFT now has the capability for an HD interface, but it's not being used currently. Most of the hardware is really used for 3D rendering of the maps for navigation. I'm pretty sure if Ford released a new MFT on a new OS it will be available to current owners. The MFT we currently have came out in 2011. I'm sure there would be a huge backlash if Ford had the new MFT in just new vehicles. I'm guessing the new Windows 8 version will be on 2014 models. Last rumor I heard was the new MFT will be released sometime in early 2013. If current owners get a new MFT, I'm sure it would be sent via USB stick like the last major update this past spring.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have been digging around in some of .cab files in the Sync download. I found the splash screen files. They are simply an .mp4 file. I haven't played around with it yet, but I am assuming if the file was replaced with one that has similar dimensions and size that it can in fact be replaced. It would of course mean having to replace the ENTIRE Sync software and going through the 45 or so minute process.

I am going to play around with this a bit in the future, maybe next month after I finish a couple of business trips. If anybody can come up with a cool short 2-3 video to replace the current animated splash screen, I would be willing to use that in this test. Otherwise, I will find somebody doing a burnout or power slide of an ST and use that. :p

I am not a programmer or anything like that. I just want to play around with the appearance of Sync. Specifically, I want to get rid of the quadrant lines on the main display because for some strange reason these really annoy me. Any other suggestions of changing the appearance and I will look into it. I can't change functionality of the system so don't ask me if I can do that kind of thing at this point. I might look into how to program Flash (which seems to be in a lot of the files) in the future as I am a bit of a techie, but I've never done any programming since high school which was almost 30 years ago. lol

Edit - when I play the default mp4 file, there is no sound. I wonder what would happen if I edited the file and put a revving engine sound on it. That would be cool when the car started up, or it might be extremely annoying. lol

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If they are doing md5 which they should but probably aren't it should catch the changed file(s). However I doubt they are so it'll probably work. This kind of stuff worked in older versions of windows but I have not tried with the latest as I don't use windows anymore.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Something weird happened. I was poking around in the .bin files on the last build of Sync I had on my USB stick. I downloaded a new version last night and it has the splash screen for a F150 Raptor on it instead of the Ford logo which was what the last build of Sync. I'm assuming that I just got the wrong link to the file so I will try to download again. I will post up some screenshots of what the file structure looks like if I have time tonight - it's basic Windows stuff. I can also see .bmp files of some of the Nav stuff in there too - basically all the POI icons.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'll give that whirl in a couple of weeks. Heading out of town tomorrow for a while so won't get a chance to play with it.

Here are some screen shots of some of the folders and a screenshot of one of the .png images that has all the Nav icons for N.A.

combined_poi_icon_na.jpg Raptor Splash Screens.jpg Screenie.jpg

I can play those mpeg-4 files in Quicktime and see the animations.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts