Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for all of the cars that I thought that I might hold onto for quite some time, I've put on a clear film bra and had great luck with them, particularly the 3M films. Too many trucks and good-ol PA loves thier cinders in the winter.

I've seen that several places have the bra for the 2012, but of course they have not come out with one for the 2013, and obviously the kit for the ST will be different still.

I usually only get the film to cover the metal portions, such as the hood, and A-pillars. But since I have seen how
the rocks have had thier toll on my 2012's paint, I think I'll just get the whole front kit (assuming someone makes it). It's best to get it done immediately, otherwise, putting the film over chips could defeat the purpose.

So anyway, as soon as someone finds the film available, please post because I'll be ordering as soon as its in my driveway.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ford should do like Scion and Toyota do. They have it available as a dealer installed option, with warranty. And they make it available immediately when a car is introduced. Strangely, not for the headlights though...

·
Registered
534 Posts
3M will probably have a pattern in short order. Go to their website and find a local 3M clear bra installer and inquire about the availability of one.

·
Registered
693 Posts
There is a better material out there than 3m. I can't recall the name but it's self healing. Its been out for about 2 years, u poor warm water on it and it will smooth out a small tear or wrinkle. I plan on using this.

·
Registered
547 Posts
There is a better material out there than 3m. I can't recall the name but it's self healing. Its been out for about 2 years, u poor warm water on it and it will smooth out a small tear or wrinkle. I plan on using this.
Sounds like alien skin. I am interested...

Tints and clear bra...first things I'm putting on the car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, Nice! I haven't heard of this other stuff but I'm certainly going to look into it. I don't know what the advantage of the self healing would be though because I've never had the 3M tear or chip, it's pretty tough. There were a couple of brands of the plastic clear Bra stuff out there and I've used both, but I found that the 3M material didn't yellow on me like the other brand did.

Regarding installers, I'll likely do the install myself, this will be like the 10th one for me so I'm getting the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Has anyone had personal experience with 3M Scotchguard, 3M venture shield, or XPel? Any suggestions or knowledge?

·
Registered
693 Posts
i have had the 3m a few year ago, it seemed quite thick and turned yellow after a few years. i did go with a different/ thinner type of material from another company and was completely satisfied with its appearance and ease of cleaning. my brother has this new self healing(XPEL i believe) and he loves the stuff. It is barely noticiable. Super thin but strong.The XPEL is slightly more in price but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hey that's pretty neat!

Also, I found some care info on clear films from one of the manufacturer's websites:

"Do not use any kind of Petroleum based products on the film. This includes 99.9% of all waxes! Clear protection films do not like petroleum based products on them, because it causes them to yellow and become dull. Products like Simple Green, 409, bug & tar removers, and degreasers have harsh unrefined petroleum distillates in them, which in the long run, will harm the film."

·
Registered
778 Posts
That stuff looks awesome! Why don't cars just come covered in this stuff from the factory. I would totally pay more for it!

·
Registered
693 Posts
The dealers usually charge about $700 for a complete kit. As with waxing? The newer stuff u can wax, no real benefit to doing it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts