Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last month or so, I've noticed that when I pull out of the garage in the morning, something in the car makes a noise as I negotiate the few turns out of my neighborhood. This generally happens in 1st and 2nd gear, but tends to go away as the car warms up. What could it be? The first gear also engages with a kind of a clunk.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If it is a rattling sort of sound, some others in this forum have investigated this issue (or one very similar) and it appears it may be due to an area in the front suspension where two pieces of sheet metal are not welded together (a design issue in other words). It is typically only when cold, perhaps due to contraction of the metal which allows more "play" in the area. It typically occurs when turning as you describe.

I experience this with my 2012 Focus SE, although what I hearis more of a metal vibration or rattle and not a clunk.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
It happens to me with both sides of the car. When its cold. Speeds between 5 mph to 60 mph. It happened today when the temp was 37 F. It seems to get better when the car is up to full temps.

I am going crazy with it. I am going to have to take it to the dealer soon. I hate rattles.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I really wonder if its that sheet metal issue the guys in the other thread discovered because I can't believe it can be a dangerous problem. My son and I have driven the Focus SE for almost an year now, 10,000 miles and it never affects the drive or handling or anything. And its only when cornering in cold temps usually. But annoying? yeah it is that for sure. Its the not knowing for sure thing that gets me. I hate that, lol!

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Mine is not under steering. Mine is on any and every kind of movement or bump on the road. It sounds like a popping noise. Or Clunk.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine also showed up yesterday when I hit the start button. It's annoying, but I'm due for a 5K service and I'll have the dealer look at it.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Interesting drive this morning. The clunk sound was there at start up, then when the car reached 140F engine temp the sound went almost went away. That was halfway through my trip to work.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes, I notice something like this since it has been very cold lately. I think it happens right after I clutch out after a shift. But within ten minutes it will go away. Not that big of a problem for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I notice something like this since it has been very cold lately. I think it happens right after I clutch out after a shift. But within ten minutes it will go away. Not that big of a problem for me.
Yep, essentially the same with me. I hear it every time I clutch out and hit the gas. But, like I said, now I hear it when the car gives that starter shake, which is irritating. I'll post once I've taken it in for its 5K service.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yep, essentially the same with me. I hear it every time I clutch out and hit the gas. But, like I said, now I hear it when the car gives that starter shake, which is irritating. I'll post once I've taken it in for its 5K service.
I hear a noise at the same time, but I would describe it more as a chatter. At first I thought it was clutch chatter bceause it is when I am engaging the clutch, but now I think it might have something to do with a cold rear motor mount.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is a common issue with Fords and the Mustang groups. Mine makes the same noise and I don't worry about it. Just take it easy when it cold out and until the oil temps are up. It's hard with this car, because this turbo comes on so quickly. Anyways, don't worry about it and the dealers aren't going to be able to fix it.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Today I was working on my car. I noticed that by pushing the left side of my car down I was able to reproduce this popping sound. I was not able to get it to happen on the right side of the car. It has been in the 40's and 50 this week and I still have the sound. I believe something in my suspension is failing or broken for sure now.

Taking it to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I believe mine does this to when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It also does it when I take off from a stop. It does it when the motor is warm or cold. I never paid attention to it when the outside temps were up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have noticed this noise too. It happens when I release the clutch in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. Seems to be coming from the front driver side wheel area. It does go away when the car warms up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have noticed this noise too. It happens when I release the clutch in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. Seems to be coming from the front driver side wheel area. It does go away when the car warms up.
Me too. It's noticeable when it's under 40 degrees or so, but mine doesn't go away when the car warms up if the weather is still sub 40.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts