Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Yep, under warranty.
How did you get them to cover it under warranty? Also, which mount did they replace and which mount did they use? E-focus? Standard ST mount?

Just curious because A LOT of people might start heading to the dealer, including me.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I'm curious as well. My car is doing this and it's super annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
265 Posts
Has your guys been doing it between shifts about the same time as you get back on the throttle? Kinda sounds like a knocking sound

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How did you get them to cover it under warranty? Also, which mount did they replace and which mount did they use? E-focus? Standard ST mount?

Just curious because A LOT of people might start heading to the dealer, including me.
If it was warranty work was prob same as factory and not an upgraded mount right? The motor mounts arent under recall are they?
I'm curious as well. My car is doing this and it's super annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I'm not sure what mount they were using, but stands to reason it would have been the standard ST mount. If anyone is in SE MI and wants to have their dealer look at their vehicle, go to Village Ford and ask for Tracy. Let him know that he's done something similar for a customer with a PB ST a week ago.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was able to reproduce the sound. I think it has to do with engine movement. If I am accelerating at lower speeds and lift off the throttle, the squeak happens. If I tap the gas then lift off, it happens. Tap - lift off, tap - lift off, and I can reproduce the sound.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm also experiencing this noise in the cold and when my engine is cold and suspect it is an engine mount. I parked in my garage and rocked the car forward and back while in gear to see if I could identify the source but it didn't clunk with that mild of a motion. The engine definitely rocks. The noise is apparent after releasing the clutch pedal but it's not a clutch noise because you can reproduce the sound in first gear with throttle off then on. Definitely some mount knocking in the cold.

Is anyone with an aftermarket rear engine mount experiencing the noise?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I replaced the RMM with the Focus Electric version over the weekend. This morning it was 12 degrees, and there was no knock. (However, I hadn't heared the knock before, even with the original mount, even with temperatures well below 30 degrees.)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm also experiencing this noise in the cold and when my engine is cold and suspect it is an engine mount. I parked in my garage and rocked the car forward and back while in gear to see if I could identify the source but it didn't clunk with that mild of a motion. The engine definitely rocks. The noise is apparent after releasing the clutch pedal but it's not a clutch noise because you can reproduce the sound in first gear with throttle off then on. Definitely some mount knocking in the cold.

Is anyone with an aftermarket rear engine mount experiencing the noise?
I may be completely off the mark on this but wouldn't it make sense that engine movement with an increase in RPM but no forward bite would be dampened by the side mounts and that forward motion with wheel movement (and gear shifting) would be dampened by the RMM? This would explain why a side motor mount failure would be detected with slight increases in RPM (pedal tapping) or revs at rest whereas the knock with fast shifting at high power problems with the RMM (front to rear rock). Or perhaps I've got the physics of this all wrong.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yup, that's what I'm hearing. It does it when the engine shakes starting up and on 2nd and 3rd shifts. If I really slip the clutch to get a buttery smooth automatic shift I can sometimes get it to shift without the noise. So I'm pretty sure it's a motor mount however I have no clue which one.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all,

I had this same noise upon engine start up and shifting from 1-2,2-3, 3-4. I took it into the dealer where I bought it and they were able to pin point it to where the air box attaches to the unibody of the car. They took it all apart, put some white lithium grease where the airbox attached to the unibody, and then it solved the problem. Now, did the white lithium grease help or was it the reassembly of the airbox assembly? I'll never know, but the white lithium grease sure can't hurt where the air box touches the unibody of the car.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks to hanojreason's pointer, I fixed the issue today. At least for me, the noise was due to one of the airbox connection points. Where the red and yellow circle's were rubbing was making that noise. I was able to duplicate it by putting my hand on the engine intake and moving the engine. This then pulls the intake box which makes this noise. I put grease on the rubber grommet thing and it fixed the sound.

We shall see if this fix works long term.

WheretoGrease.jpg

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It was 1 degree F this morning and no noise. I'll have to take a look this weekend.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks to hanojreason's pointer, I fixed the issue today. At least for me, the noise was due to one of the airbox connection points. Where the red and yellow circle's were rubbing was making that noise. I was able to duplicate it by putting my hand on the engine intake and moving the engine. This then pulls the intake box which makes this noise. I put grease on the rubber grommet thing and it fixed the sound.

We shall see if this fix works long term.

View attachment 6226
Nice. Glad you got it sorted. These noises are so annoying!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think Midwest is dead-on with the location of the problem. I took his advice a step further. The noise in my car is a combination of a squeak and a thunk.

I added grease to stop the squeak. In my car, the mounting point in question is also very loose fitting. I believe this is causing the clunk part of the noise. What I did was wrap the connection with a big zip-tie. Not super tight, but enough to stabilize the connection. Seems to work so far.

Thank you very much Midwest, I can feel at ease about this now.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts