Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think Midwest is dead-on with the location of the problem. I took his advice a step further. The noise in my car is a combination of a squeak and a thunk.

I added grease to stop the squeak. In my car, the mounting point in question is also very loose fitting. I believe this is causing the clunk part of the noise. What I did was wrap the connection with a big zip-tie. Not super tight, but enough to stabilize the connection. Seems to work so far.

Thank you very much Midwest, I can feel at ease about this now.
No problem! Glad to help. I also noticed how loose that particular mounting point was. I was surprised to see it was not more secure.

The first day I drove it after fixing it, it made the whole car feel more tight and expensive. Just because that cheap sounding annoying noise was gone. Its funny how such a small thing can have such a large impact on perception.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No problem! Glad to help. I also noticed how loose that particular mounting point was. I was surprised to see it was not more secure.

The first day I drove it after fixing it, it made the whole car feel more tight and expensive. Just because that cheap sounding annoying noise was gone. Its funny how such a small thing can have such a large impact on perception.

+1

Good call on the figment issue. I did the fix yesterday by lubing up the grommet with some grease and the car sounds as tight as day one.

As small as the sound was, it was still driving me mad.

Thanks for the info Midwest!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sprayed the three air box mounting points with WD40 about 10 minutes ago, noise is gone. At least two of the points were making the noise, I've been irritated by this noise for months, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Thanks to hanojreason's pointer, I fixed the issue today. At least for me, the noise was due to one of the airbox connection points. Where the red and yellow circle's were rubbing was making that noise. I was able to duplicate it by putting my hand on the engine intake and moving the engine. This then pulls the intake box which makes this noise. I put grease on the rubber grommet thing and it fixed the sound.

We shall see if this fix works long term.

View attachment 6226

What do I need to disassemble to get to this point?

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
1. 4 screws on the filter cover
2. Remove filter
3. Remove snorkles. Had to remove the two screws holding the intake pipe to the air box.
4. Pull up and it will pop out of the fitting.

·
Registered
650 Posts
1. 4 screws on the filter cover
2. Remove filter
3. Remove snorkles. Had to remove the two screws holding the intake pipe to the air box.
4. Pull up and it will pop out of the fitting.
Thanks! Going to take a peek this weekend. Started getting the sound this week in the cold weather, 900miles on the car or so.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Mine is not coming from the air box. I just checked.

I can push down the strut point on the right side of the car, I can hear something metal contacting another part in or near the suspension area. Maybe the control arm? Bad bushing, or something is loose? It doesn't take a huge amount of effort to reproduce this. But it is driving me up the wall.. When I take my friends for rides I have to explain the noise...hate it!

A note...I can't get it to do it on the left side. But, it is unreal. I can feel the rubbing in the throttle pedal. Its like a pop sound or clunk. Sounds like it coming from different places inside the car. But as I said, the only place it can reproduce it is on the right side strut tower.

Thanks everyone for the posts...when I feel like giving my car to the dealer for the day I suppose I might find out what it is.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Exhaust heat shield? I have not looked under the car yet so not sure where they have located those, but my sisters Titanium Focus had that issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my ST in summer 16 and it started when temperature dropped in like november. It drove me crazy. So one cable tie fixes this issue. Just tighten the air box to the frame. One member posted picture of that plastic connector that just moves in frame and makes this annoyng sound

41 - 49 of 49 Posts