Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
First of all, I am new to this community. So, happy to meet all the Focus ST enthusiasts! Now coming to my problem, I bought mine 2 months and since the beginning, I was smelling this slight burning sensation every time I will get out off the car after driving it. Took to the local dealer but they told me that everything is fine. Then last wk I had to do a long cross country drive of above 1500 miles. As soon as I finished the drive, funny thing happened. I could shift the gear if the engine is turned off but as soon as I will turn the engine on, I couldn't slide the car into any gear. Took to the dealer over there who told me that the clutch has burned out!!! This was very shocking as I have the car only for 2 months and have only 2000 miles on it. Want to know if others in the community had similar experience, if Ford is aware about the problem and if some solution is in sight.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm at about 3500 mi since buying the car in January (might be leading the pack for the fewest miles over time other than those who bought STs as secondary weekend cars). No smells, all seems solid to me with the clutch. Hopefully the dealer can help you out since you reported a possible issue early on.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It sounds like yours wasn't completely disengaging if you couldn't shift with the engine running.

I'm almost at 7k. I've noticed some odd smells when driving aggressively but doesn't smell like clutch to me. More likely brakes or exhaust.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm at about 3500 mi since buying the car in January (might be leading the pack for the fewest miles over time other than those who bought STs as secondary weekend cars). No smells, all seems solid to me with the clutch. Hopefully the dealer can help you out since you reported a possible issue early on.
3800 here - delivery in September - only drive a few miles to work each way M-F :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Took to the dealer over there who told me that the clutch has burned out!!!
It's much more likely there is some sort of mechanical defect or a bit of air in the clutch line preventing full disengagement. It is also possible that the clutch wasn't adjusted properly from the factory and wasn't fully engaging during normal driving, causing excessive wear due to slipping under moderate/high loads.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It's much more likely there is some sort of mechanical defect or a bit of air in the clutch line preventing full disengagement. It is also possible that the clutch wasn't adjusted properly from the factory and wasn't fully engaging during normal driving, causing excessive wear due to slipping under moderate/high loads.
I was thinking along that line. That would explain the difficulty shifting with the engine running.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sucks to have big problems like that but hopefully your dealer will take care of you, especially if you documented a concern over the smell and are within the 1 year, 12k mile warranty for wear items. My has brake smell on occasion after some enthusiastic driving but I also had the much more acrid overheated clutch friction material smell a couple times in the first couple thousand miles but haven't had it return.

More than likely you had an unfortunate problem with a manufacturing defect slipping through the cracks. Could be a bad clutch disc, problem with the clutch master/slave cylinder, defective pressure plate or something else in the clutch release system. A few members have had some trans issues and others posting concerns about possible clutch burning smell but I'd say at stock power levels it doesn't appear to be a widespread or even common problem at this time. Let us know what your dealer finds out.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Almost 20,000 miles and no clutch issues. Sounds like you got a defective part. Hopefully Ford takes care of you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up my ST yesterday, and since I took it for a test drive I've smelled something burning after normal driving. I thought it was the brakes when I test drove it as the car was brand new with low miles. I'm at 150 miles now and I smell it every time I drive, and it's not the brakes. It smells like the clutch, I'm worried that I may have a defect as well.

Gonna stop by the dealer tomorrow so they have a record of me reporting it early in case anything happens.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I just picked up my ST yesterday, and since I took it for a test drive I've smelled something burning after normal driving. I thought it was the brakes when I test drove it as the car was brand new with low miles. I'm at 150 miles now and I smell it every time I drive, and it's not the brakes. It smells like the clutch, I'm worried that I may have a defect as well.

Gonna stop by the dealer tomorrow so they have a record of me reporting it early in case anything happens.
Hopefully yours is just break in period smell. I had a hot smell for the first couple hundred miles but none since unless I run it really hard ... brake get hot.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
That not normal, there is no such thing as a "break in" smell.
Get it looked at and get it fixed before it negatively affects something else.
Every new vehicle ive owned had the "hot engine smell" and many of the forum members experienced the same. It only lasted a few hundred miles and those of us that took it to dealer for same were told it was normal.

·
Registered
359 Posts
almost every vehicle has that smell. I use to have to test drive vehicles for pre delivery inspections and after it was warmed up a strong would appear. I expirienced this in the ST I would say up to about 75 miles.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It's not just Ford either. VW did this and the same with my buddies Subaru.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I took a short video of my clutch slipping...you see it in like the 1st 5 seconds.

It slips in 6th on the highway doing about 70, then I spent the rest of the video trying to replicate it to no avail.

I plan on showing this to ford tomorrow just in case I cant duplicate it

Anyone have any ideas as to why it happens once in a while and then not again ?

Edit: sorry for the music, I forgot to turn it off lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts