Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems to me the only difference between the two are about 20 bucks and with the cobb you replace the factory flex fitting but keep the factory airbox. While with the Roush, you keep the fitting, and replace the box? so Which is optimal?
Thanks!
Tyler

·
Registered
615 Posts
Seems to me the only difference between the two are about 30 bucks and with the cobb you replace the factory flex fitting but keep the factory airbox. While with the Roush, you keep the fitting, and replace the box? so Which is optimal?
Thanks!
Tyler
Neither replaces the air box. The Roush just uses an open lid that's supposed to seal to the hood. The factory air box lid is fine but running any open ended filter allows for more hot air into the engine vs the Ford Racing intake that pulls fresh colder air from the high pressure area of the front grille. I like this combined with the Mountune low loss crossover piping personally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that is a great setup, but I was trying to avoid a 600+ intake setup. Instead of using the open lid, couldn't I just replace the factory lid to keep the hot engine air from being sucked in?

·
Registered
615 Posts
You'd have to plug the filter also to seal the air box. Not sure where you're getting to a $600 intake from though.

That is if you're not going to want to intake hot air from under hood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so are these green filters all close ended ? Seems like everyone is running an open-ended filter no? and the 600 comes from cjs; the ford racing intake is 233 and the mountune intake is 370 ..603..

·
Registered
615 Posts
so are these green filters all close ended ? Seems like everyone is running an open-ended filter no? and the 600 comes from cjs; the ford racing intake is 233 and the mountune intake is 370 ..603..
That's over paying for everything. The green filter does not come with a plug. They will sell you one for under $20.

https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/18095

The Ford racing snorkel was available on a group buy for under $160, but is available all day long for $175.
2013-2014 FOCUS ST COLD AIR INTAKE KIT

The Mountune intake sans filter is available directly from Mountune for $329, but if you wait / watch for sales it can be found for less also.

You don't need the intake with a filter if you're going to use the closed ended K&N filter instead however.

The cheapest solution is to just change the filter and keep the stock intake though.

The next cheapest and only true CAI modification to the stock air box is the Ford racing intake as it directly pulls air from outside the engine bay.

Most air intake modifications that use an open ended filter are for sound alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, I'm now picking up what you're putting down. I am looking for the sound. I think to my original question; I think i'll go with the COBB vs the Roush. I believe the open top lid with the roush would take away from the effectiveness of the factory ram air while pulling in more hot air vs the hot air the COBB will pull in from the open end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts