Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,

I thought I would take some time and write out my thoughts about the Cobb FMIC that I just got installed yesterday.

Quality of the unit if very good. The core and all the welds look perfect and the piping is done with good quality. When you remove the stock piping you will kick yourself for what Ford has done and swear a bit under your breath. Basically the ford connections are all hoses that I think would collapse under pressure. When Cobb states that this add-on is the biggest HP and torque producer, they are not kidding. Replacing the hoses, that are by the way no where close to the right size either, with real piping I think dramatically helps with overall turbo performance.

The install is a pain. This was a good 4 hour install due to a couple of factors. When they say buy Cobalt bits for drilling....buy the cobalt bits and not something else. I was able to find a 1/4 inch cobalt bit but couldn't find a 15/32 bit. You are drilling into the front bumper so the wrong bit adds some time to the event.

Also we used 2 jack stands for this operation....remember to loosen the front wheels up before you get the vehicle up in the air. This was like step 3 when it should have been like step 1 or 2. I have to get the car up in the air cause I am a fat ass and can't get the under engine molding thing uninstalled without some space.

The grill shutter system along with the rubber shroud stuff are all removed and not used. I had more parts coming off the vehicle then going on. Ford puts a lot of B.S. crap on the front end of the car.

On the passenger side of the radiator bracket that keeps the radiator and stuff up, there was a silver tab thing that we had to break off for the actual radiator to drop low enough to get the piping to fit. Once the piping was in and secure you can tighten up the bracket and it all looks good. Just be aware of this silver looking "pop rivet"??? looking thing that keeps a hold and won't let the radiator drop.

After all was said and done I have loaded the stage 2 map from Cobb onto the vehicle and there is more power and a better feel to the car. I think this is well worth the money to get and install. If you have never done something like this before it might be a pretty difficult install. If you have a lot of tools and are used to installing major components then it is a time consuming install but is well within your power to do.

Thumbs up for this product at least from me.

EDIT!!

I just remembered something. Follow the directions. It stated to drill the hole in the drivers side front bumper location that has the dimple in it. Well we did that and felt froggy and "guestimated" the other side. The directions say to mount the IC and then mark the location so things line up correct. We got REAL lucky and were only off a couple millimeters. If you are way off things won't fit and you will have to drill another hole.

Also, I didn't do this but if you plan on using the "stencil" so you can paint COBB on the front of your IC, remember to take the stencil portion off after you paint it. If you think it looks cool with the black background and silverish cobb there, and then you start overheating for some odd reason....yea that reason is the stencil is blocking all the air to the IC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the intake was a little tricky due to the wiper blades. Everything else was pretty easy on that install. Just the blades didn't want to line up right but after some tweaking everything is good.

I am not sure if I qualify for the stage 3 map from Cobb. I currently have the CAI, FMIC and a CP-E Catless Downpipe, just don't have the cat back exhaust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, I had no issues with any of the screws or anything that came with the kit.

The only complaint I would have is that in some parts of the instructions they say to use a flat head screw driver to remove something from the vehicle. Specifically I remember the hood latch system. Be gentle with the screwdriver and dont force anything or you will break portions of the clips that hold that latch system on. It is not an easy just pop it off with a flat head maneuver.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Screw issue should be resolved for any newer orders. The MAP screw was too short. I had the same problem. Had to buy a longer one at a hardware store. Cobb reimbursed me by giving me the stage 3 map early ;D. Awesome guys to deal with.

Have fun and drive safe,
-Ocysp

Reactions: Kboss87

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, would like to see pics of the instal and finished product.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I really want to see a front view to get a better visual of how it looks after install/if you can see the cooler through the grill at all.
Here you go.........

791500_Ford_13 Focus_Front Mount Intercooler_INSTALLED Wallpaper.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
Question for COBB or anyone who's installed their FMIC:
I don't have a 15/32" drill bit. Rather than buy a new bit, I'm hoping to use one of either 7/16" or 1/2". Any recommendations?

The corresponding mounting holes on the intercooler appear to be 15/32", but the bolts themselves are smaller (8mm). Is the 15/32 drilled hole just to give some wiggle room in the install? If so, do you think 7/16 will work? Want to make sure I'm on the right track before putting the car up on the jackstands and taking off the front bumper in case I need to buy something else.

·
Vendor
25 Posts
Question for COBB or anyone who's installed their FMIC:
I don't have a 15/32" drill bit. Rather than buy a new bit, I'm hoping to use one of either 7/16" or 1/2". Any recommendations?

The corresponding mounting holes on the intercooler appear to be 15/32", but the bolts themselves are smaller (8mm). Is the 15/32 drilled hole just to give some wiggle room in the install? If so, do you think 7/16 will work? Want to make sure I'm on the right track before putting the car up on the jackstands and taking off the front bumper in case I need to buy something else.
Comatose,

So the 15/32" is suggested to just give you some extra wiggle room when mounting the intercooler when using the 8mm bolts. If I were you, I'd start with the 7/16". Mount up the intercooler and if you need some extra wiggle, bore it out with the 1/2" unit. Just take your time and you'll be good to go.

Cheers,

[email protected]

·
Registered
303 Posts
Comatose,

So the 15/32" is suggested to just give you some extra wiggle room when mounting the intercooler when using the 8mm bolts. If I were you, I'd start with the 7/16". Mount up the intercooler and if you need some extra wiggle, bore it out with the 1/2" unit. Just take your time and you'll be good to go.

Cheers,

[email protected]
Great! Thanks for getting back to me, I suspected as much but couldn't be sure I wasn't missing something important without a test-fitting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts