Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I installed the Cobb mount Saturday and it's pretty much what I was hoping for.

Great instructions, Ample pictures; if your a mod virgin here is good first start.
It's a little tricky with the transmission mount and the Cobb, and the Cobb is a snug fit.
I had done in a little over an hour from jack in to jack out.
A third of the time juggling the install of the trans mission mount and the cobb piece.
I opted to check the location of the Cobb then unscrew the bolt and push it back to install the trans mount.
Pulling it forward I put the cap screw in and use the engine to pull the cobb forward.
I unscrewed the cap screw and repostioned the cobb.

Practically imperceptible vibes on launch, I doubt if the passengers would notice.
Huge improvement in the 1-2 bang. I really have to wait till redline to get it.
Hop is replaced by spin, which sez to me the mount's doing it's job.

Couple of questions for Cobb, (nitpicking really):

The piece is a work of art that's shoved in the basement.
If it was more visible I could see doing the whole anodized finish with logo.
Why not hold off on those manufacturing ops and save a few $$$?

Lower price means better market penetration,
after all you've got a flooded market with rear mounts. Also quicker time to market.

What was the reason for the cap screw?
I'm jazzed that Ford is keeping the number of types of fasteners to a minimum.
Was there a driving factor on this?

But that said, I love the mount & am very happy with the results.
And speaking as an industrial designer: it's a beautiful piece.

·
Vendor
25 Posts
Oaxa,

While price is always part of the equation, I always design parts to 1) perform and 2) look great while performing. To me, doesn't matter where the part is located, it should be a pleasure to look at. Part of the whole experience of buying new car parts is that "opening the box" moment when you hold your new part in your hand. I want that moment to be as rewarding as possible to ensure that the customer KNOWS that what they spent their hard earned dollars on had no corners cut to save on cost.

As far as the cap screw goes... I like to use them when it's fitting. I think they look better, they torque down well, and they're always available in the size and finish I need them in. Typically, customers are less likely to over torque them as well. A hex head could have been just fine for this application since it has a relatively high torque requirement but, in the end, I think I just like the way cap screws look better. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Practically imperceptible vibes on launch, I doubt if the passengers would notice.
Huge improvement in the 1-2 bang. I really have to wait till redline to get it.
Hop is replaced by spin, which sez to me the mount's doing it's job.
Oaxa,

Coming from the stock mount, I had my Cobb mount installed this morning. After installation I noticed on throttle tip in, maybe between 1k -1.2k rpm, vibrations in the steering wheel and some that can be felt/heard in the cabin. Would you say that the NVH mellows out over time after the install? Are there any other observations that you've had since installing yours?

I can, however, tell that the Cobb mount allows the ST to hook-up in a 2nd gear pull without the excessive wheel hop that I used to get with the stock mount. It was always kind of embarrassing to have the wheel chatter when showing the car to someone.

Using the stock mount for the first 1000 miles may have spoiled me with its quite ride and no vibration. :D

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wouldn't mind a reassesment from either of you guys to hear what you think now that it may be broken in a bit.

I got mine yesterday, plan to install this weekend or next.
Its sure is purty!
rmm.jpg

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mine has been in about 5 weeks now. No perceptible difference from stock except for the fact it stops the banging on hard shifts. There's no shuddering or any roughness at idle or start up now. At the beginning you could really tell there was an aftermarket one in there, so much engine vibration. But that is all gone now.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took mine out to get the TSB 13-06-10 done.
After having it out for a while notice the difference.
i hope to have it back in soon.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I know I'm replying to a post from April, but I'd still like to voice an opinion regarding COBB's design.

I'm not going to mention whose RMM I'm comparing, but let's just say it's a much "simpler" looking RMM. It looks pretty half-assed, I'm not going to lie (not to mention, after 3 months it still vibrates like hell). A generic solid bushing held by a bare aluminum bracket. COBB's design looks very thought out, like they put in more than 5 hours of design work. To me, it signifies the amount of R&D and attention to detail put in to the part. (you can tell that I regret not getting the COBB mount, lol)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pete,
I'm late as well on this thread. I know what you meen on your RMM still being harsh as I'm sure I have the same one you mentioned. I am in the process of experimenting with my own mold, and eurothane mixtures to reach the durometer ratings I want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed the Cobb a couple weeks ago and I also noticed vibration from the motor. It has certainly firmed up the shifts and wheel hop but I do hope the vibrations go away soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts