Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use my ST1 as a daily driver. Got 24k miles so no hurry for shock/strut change. But just wondering what experience any of you have with coil-overs... I'm pretty meticulous with my cars, and I'm thinking an adjustable ride height is going to drive me crazy... Lowered my previous hatch (05 Vibe) with a set of Tein "S Tech" springs paired with some Tokico struts. Height was great as well as the ride. I see several sets of lowering springs for the ST... But not sure what brand of struts and shocks to go with. Any input would be great!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coilovers ...be Careful....

Well I'll give you my impressions on coilovers on 3000GT's...

I spent 1280$ on a set of JIC coilovers, the last of a years model, with an original cost of $2600.
From the first day they were too stiff and there wasn't a rut or crack in the road that wouldn't jar your teeth; they were absolutely maddening....they were s**t. A far better approach is to spend your initial money on front and rear sway bars, with lowering springs. Your standard suspension will be much better with stiffer swayers and certainly will not jar your teeth out. Then do the lowering springs.

Perhaps sir suspension is better, or a higher end coiler with an air reserve. Moton coilovers with air reserves and 36 x 2 types of adjustability are $5000, and work great on a corvette Z06/ZR1; but only when built and calibrated by Pratt and Miller...the guys who built a suspension on Chevy's Le Mans racers (i.e. C6R). However, the normal coilover suppliers that will sell you a set of coilovers are incredibly UNHELPFUL after they have your money...which is ultimately all they want. Only if you can get a ride in the very suspension setup that you are getting..and you like it, or work with someone who will help calibrate your car properly i.e. do a turn-key install would I ever do a suspension again.

Mind you I have an 09 Z06 and a 15 Z/28...and I'll never touch their setup. I'm planning on doing Steeda or Cobb front and rear sway bars in my '13 Focus ST which will get you up to .97 to 0.98 G in a corner. Add on top of that then use lowered springs...when I do replacements on the shocks; but done sequentially to see how they perform... and that with wider tires (235 or 245) should get you to over 1 G.

Oh and don't forget front and rear strut tower braces..they will prevent rolling in the corners, and work great with sway bars, and then lowering springs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!!! My car is still under warranty so for another year or so I'm not going to mess with it, but I did instal a rear shock tower brace from Steeda and it definitely tightened it up. Sway bars don't sound like a bad idea either. Perhaps I will do those this spring then worry about the struts and springs when I hit about 60k or so!

·
Registered
4 Posts
great idea. Go piecemeal, slowly. Believe me once you find what you like then you'll always smile. When I did the Mitz - which the Focus St replaces...I spent $7-8K..on parts and labor was $4K; should have just spent it on a new car..i sits out front waiting until spring to sell to someone as a great project car..at a HUGE loss..lots of Ricer guys in the Tulsa-Broken Arrow area.

As the focus matures so will the parts. Worth doing..like I did on the Mitz is caster/camber plates, and an adjustable suspension. Those parts are ok too, they supplement the front/rear sway-bars. Finally go to Beilstein shocks (or a good well known established brand); with lowering springs. Dont forget about good end links and tie rod ends; I'll have to see what the ford parts look like; but the aftermarket can get pretty trick.
I see Steeda and others have integrated monotone shock lowering springs systems.Its always nice to ride in a ca setup that way you KNOW you're going to like it...if they have some customer in the area..I'd ask them; so you could talk to them thru Steeda to see what the setup feels like.

On my Mitz it was a shock to complete all that work and find out those $$$ coilovers were awful...I was completely chagrinned.It is a 92 SL so the cam didn't help on the NA engine either, it just added 25 hp; and with the headers about 15-20 db too...especially after the wife drove the car...her eye could have cut daggers...good thing we're best friends..after 28 years no car could hurt us...but she was mad...whew.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts