Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was driving to work and as I pulled out of my driveway, I felt a significant decrease in power. As I tried to accelerate, I heard my turbo spoiling only it sounded like a giant kazoo and there was no increase in boost psi. I initially assumed it was a disconnected vacuum hose, which was partially correct because I found the hose behind the stock intake to have come off somehow.

I reattached the hose and started the car, but still heard the noise and no boost. I assumed my turbo had failed. Took it into the dealer the next day and they confirmed it had. It's still there today (the tech just happened to call in sick) but I've been told it should be done by tomorrow.

Running the 93 Cobb tune, FYI. Though I am not associating this failure with the tune and will continue to run it once o get the car back.

Still not sure how the vacuum hose came disconnected, but I wonder it that had anything to do with the failure. Perhaps over spooling due to no regulation? Not sure. But I'll keep you all updated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the dealer know that you've got the tune? I'm curious to know if they're gonna cover the repairs. Keep us updated.

Good luck!
Of course not ;)
Removed the tune prior to arriving. And yes, they are covering the repairs. At failing after only 3700 miles, I'd say they'd better!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Mods - is there some way we can keep track of the failures in a single place? I think there are now several confirmed turbo failures. It would also be really helpful to know what the build date on the cars involved is. (I know the engine is prebuilt in Spain, but if these failures are clustered in a group of cars built around the same time, that would be helpful info and suggest that the engines involved come from the same batch.)

Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
Curious as to their diagnosis. Did you put the car in the air and verify none of the charge pipes came loose? The "kazoo" sound is usually a massive boost leak which is then accompanied by no power and no pressure displaying on the boost gauge. A blown turbo sounds like someone is pumping sand through your engine. I've blown one and I thought I had lost the transmission or the diff it was that loud/metallic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Curious as to their diagnosis. Did you put the car in the air and verify none of the charge pipes came loose? The "kazoo" sound is usually a massive boost leak which is then accompanied by no power and no pressure displaying on the boost gauge. A blown turbo sounds like someone is pumping sand through your engine. I've blown one and I thought I had lost the transmission or the diff it was that loud/metallic.
When mine failed I didn't hear any metallic noise at all just the giant kazoo sound. Probably part and parcel to the fact our cars have a small turbo. My car didn't shed very much material anyway so I don't think I would have heard it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Also would like to know how many failed with a Tune. I think the other one I read was with a tune also.
You mean the one from the guy posted above you.

Reactions: FucusStandard

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assume they lifted the car prior to determining it was the turbo. It was a kazoo sound accompanied by a slight metallic grinding, but nothing like sand pumping though. Definitely sounds like something was physically broken, I'm not sire how else to describe it.

I will hopefully be getting the car back today and will update you all with the results.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
I wonder if the engine has to come out of the chassis to replace the turbo? Anyone?

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
They pulled the entire engine on my car to replace the turbo.
Man that is extensive. Did your AP cause the problem or was it a defect? I remember your thread.

What does Ford charge for the turbo? $1700 or more?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Man that is extensive. Did your AP cause the problem or was it a defect? I remember your thread.

What does Ford charge for the turbo? $1700 or more?
Can't confirm either way but I'm guessing a defect that caused oil starvation or over spinning warping the shaft and causing the failure. It doesn't really add up that it could be the tune.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I assume they lifted the car prior to determining it was the turbo. It was a kazoo sound accompanied by a slight metallic grinding, but nothing like sand pumping though. Definitely sounds like something was physically broken, I'm not sire how else to describe it.

I will hopefully be getting the car back today and will update you all with the results.

Ah alright, the metallic sound makes all the sense now. I didn't associate that with the "kazoo" sound.

Nice choice on phone BTW.

I wonder if the engine has to come out of the chassis to replace the turbo? Anyone?
I wouldn't be surprised if the FSM calls for this, but as a weekend guy you don't have to yank it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah alright, the metallic sound makes all the sense now. I didn't associate that with the "kazoo" sound.

Nice choice on phone BTW.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FSM calls for this, but as a weekend guy you don't have to yank it.
Thanks! The HSPA Nexus is still pretty good compared to what's out there now.

But I just spoke with the service manager and now it's "tomorrow morning." Apparently the guy that called in sick broke a hip or something and they haven't bothered calling in anyone else, or thinking to tell me it hasn't even been torn into yet. It's the local dealer in town so I'm trying not to be too salty about that, but so far I'm completely unsatisfied with their services. Now a regular tech is going to be working on it tomorrow, not the master mechanic...

And it is an engine-pull job.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts