Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, hopefully he is competent and enthusiastic about the job. Being into a job vs. dreading it can mean quite a difference in the end result I've found in all trades. As long as he's a journeyman I'd say you are in the correct bracket of tech. Now, if it's a lube tech............

J/K! It'll be all good man. Inspect it prior to picking up and you'll never know they were in there after you drive away.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think others have pulled the turbo w/o pulling the engine. Kmac over at MS3 forum, and we can ask Torrie here, he's pulled his.
You can definitely remove the turbo without pulling the engine. You'll need to remove the cowl to get it out, but it can most certainly be done.

·
Registered
685 Posts
They might pull the engine, because even though you can work on the turbo on the car, if you have the equipment and tools to pull the engine quickly, it might take less time than leaving the engine in the car and working around the tight space. Or...maybe they replace the whole engine and send the old one back to Ford for an auto-psy to see what went wrong?

How long does it take to pull the engine at a properly equipped shop?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So after three long weeks filled with the dealer performing in the most untimely ways possible and making "it'll be fixed by..." promises they couldn't keep, I finally have the car back.

The engine was pulled and the turbo/charge pipe was replaced. From what they tell me, the extra week of waiting was due to "Screws and a gasket" being backordered. Either way, I finally am reunited with my car and it seems to be performing just as it used to.

The final icing on the cake: when I went to pick it up today, the service manager who scheduled the pick up was gone and they had no paper work to give me. But I was assured that they'd mail it to me... :banghead:
Ugh! Glad this is over.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Once you do get the paperwork, please let us know what the mechanic listed as the cause of failure (if known). I think what we all really want to know is WHY it failed.

Glad you finally got your ST back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder if it's an oiling failure? At 195,000rpm the slightest loss of oil film would wipe a bearing or bushing. Piece of dirt? Not much to go wrong on this set up, so long as it's lubricated, and surge shouldn't be an issue unless Cobb has the waste gate set to high on the tune? Let us know what caused this, very interested?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I wonder if it's an oiling failure? At 195,000rpm the slightest loss of oil film would wipe a bearing or bushing. Piece of dirt? Not much to go wrong on this set up, so long as it's lubricated, and surge shouldn't be an issue unless Cobb has the waste gate set to high on the tune? Let us know what caused this, very interested?
I'll be happy to let you all know, but I wouldn't hold my breathe on them getting the paperwork back to me soon. Probably will take a few more calls, but I'll get it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
A few bad apples are going to slip through when a company is mass producing parts machined to very tight tolerances like a turbocharger. A failure could be due to a material defect in the casting or machining of the shaft or wheel, a bearing failure, a clogged or collapsed oil feed or return line, something left behind in an engine oil galley from the machining process or any number of reasons. While a tune probably won't hurt the turbo if it isn’t subjecting the turbo to massive over-speed or elevated exhaust back-pressure and exhaust temps there could be rare occasions when that might be enough to break something that would have otherwise lasted for years or thousands of miles at stock power levels. For anyone that can't afford to fix the car themselves and thinks Ford will cover modified cars under warranty it's taking a risk that Ford won't be there to be your pit crew and pick up the tab. While a good tune shouldn't hurt the turbo there's a chance a bad tune could and Ford has no control over aftermarket changes to a car and doesn't warranty other components that could be affected. Good to see they did cover it in this case.

With the ST and the EcoBoost engines being somewhat new I'm betting we'll also see some dealers getting approval from Ford and swapping out turbochargers when the turbocharger unit itself might not be damaged. I've seen this quite a bit over the years with various dealer techs trying to use new diagnostic procedures after a new forced induction model is introduced. Unfortunately if Ford requires the warrantied parts to be sent back for analysis the dealer and the owner may never know the actual cause of the failure unless it was blatantly obvious upon inspection or removal and even then failure analysis can be misleading in trying to pinpoint the root cause of the failure. I'm sure we'll see a few turbochargers go bad with how many EcoBoost engines Ford is building but unless there's a serious production glitch I wouldn't worry too much about it. There's not much you can do and at least you'll have the warranty as long as your car is stock and you have a good dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They pulled the entire engine on my car to replace the turbo.
That’s stupid all you have to do is remove the passenger side cv axle and it’s right there. Disconnect and it drops straight down and out. My turbo is making the same kazoo noise when I’m at full boost and I let off. Also at cruising speed holding like -3psi to -1psi it will boost leak in between those psi’s but it pulls great when given throttle. I dont konw hope someone can help I’ve check for tube and vacuum leaks and i dont konw if me wastegate is bad or what

21 - 33 of 33 Posts